'Generic' Weathering 200 Freight Cars by Airbrush

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
A few years ago I spent ~6 weeks weathering all my locomotives so they would look "real" when they were photographed. After my most recent op session, it dawned on me that having weathered locos coupled to un-weathered rolling stock just didn't work. So in early May, I decided to tackle the chore of weathering all my active freight cars. 'Active' cars are the ones that I can spot at visible destinations on the layout - I don't run bridge traffic, so anything only usable in pass-thru mode hardly ever gets takin out of their box. This brought the number of cars to ~200, a number which seemed like something I could actually accomplish within a few months.

This thread is mostly a recap of my experiences and lessons learned during the weathering project. Originally I was going to make it more like a blog and post a little bit to it each day, but I soon realized that would be impractical: I needed to be hyper-focused if I wanted to finish this thing within a reasonable time frame, and spending time to compose forum entries would use up too much of my scarce free time (I'm a slow typist). However, I did manage to capture a few before-and-after image pairs with my cellphone camera.

Defining "generic"

I call my wethering work "generic" because it isn't too detailed, i.e., nothing remotely close to what used to appear in photos on the now-defunct ModelTrainsWeathered.org web site. Just a few light layers of airbrushing the body and painting the wheels & truck sideframes with flat colors ranging from light grey to rusty brown, to eliminate the plastic sheen and fresh-from-the-box toylike appearance of each freight car. I can always go back later to add more detailed grunge spots to individual cars.

Whenever possible, I looked at photos of the type of car I wished to emulate to get a general idea of how they looked. I also tried to stay era-specific, i.e., cars painted for recently-merged roads [in 1970] such as Bulrlington Northern and Penn Central would not be as dirty as cars that had been painted in the 1950's or early '60's. As part of my strategy to avoid having any two cars of the same type look identically weathered, I printed a hardcopy list of all the cars sorted by road number in ascending order, independent of roadname. This would usually [though not always] add a sort of random variety to the car types.

My project got off to a late start because I lacked sufficient supplies of paint and airbrush paraphernalia; I wanted to have everything on hand so I wouldn't run short in the middle of a spraying session. As soon as I had everything and established a repeatable process of prepping, spraying, and [thoroughly] cleaning my airbrush, I was able to finish 1-2 cars per weekday evening and 15-20 cars over a weekend.

Here is a before/after pair of images of a car from one of my earliest runs, an Athearn coal hopper. My goal here was to decrease the stark contrast between the white lettering and the black body. I learned that this was not an optimal location to shoot photos because of reflected glare of the flourescent bulbs, plus the fact that my cellphone camera doesn't capture the finer nuances of color and texture that are visible to a human eye:

BnO_CoalHopper10284_new.jpg

BnO_CoalHopper10284_weathered.jpg

After this I started making other hopper cars somewhat dirtier and used more brown for rust effects.

Last edited:
The New Haven boxcar in the following images was what I considered a "poster child" of toy-like appearance. A few light passes of flat brown and dark grey on the sides and roof, plus a heavier application of dirty grey on the doors and ends, eliminated that problem:

NH_Boxcar40509_new.jpg

NH_Boxcar40509_weathered.jpg

Tank Car Challenges

If anybody were to ask me what is the most difficult type of car for me to weather with an airbrush, I would have to say white tank cars - hands down!

Unlike other types of cars which have separate distinct surfaces and can be held by bolster screws on the bottom, modern tank cars have visible bottoms that need to be sprayed. Holding the cylindrical tank body itself is not an option since overspray inevitably finds its way to the higher sides and leaves what I call "comet shadows" under the spots gripped by the thumb and fingers, which I tried to demonstrate on this scrap piece of tubing:

CometShadowOnPaintedCylinder.jpg

So my only option was to grip the tank body by the top loading hatch - a very strenuous and risky approach, especially when wearing latex gloves. The car in the following before/after image set was supposed to be kept clean [acid-hauling tank cars like this one are always thoroughly rinsed down after loading/unloading], but road dirt always re-accumulates on the bottom:

UTLX_TankCar_802752_new.jpg

UTLX_TankCar_802752_weathered.jpg

Click HERE for prototype photo...

While spraying this unit, I had a "startle" reflex and instinctively grabbed the car body with my other hand, breaking a few hand rails and underbody brake lines. Luckily I was able to accomplish a 95%-effective repair job on the the damaged parts.

Last edited:
Cabeese - the Final Frontier

As luck would have it, the last cars appearing on my numerically-sorted roster were the cabooses - due to the 'C' prefix on their numbers. Perfectly appropos given their usual position on a train. These were not particularly difficult to spray, but they needed a lot of advance preparation - namely, they had windows of varying shapes and sizes that all needed to be masked. At first I tried taking the easy way out - covering the windows with Micro-Mask(tm) liquid masking gel. [Additional experimentation proved this was NOT the way to go - more on that later...]

Another challenge was the platform-enclosed ends: Aerodynamic flow had often made it difficult for me to airbrush the ends of some of my covered hoppers. I needed to do some preliminary testing. An old leftover SCL caboose body was the perfect candidate for the job, except for the fact that I tossed it when I was decluttering my work area last April. I had to implement Plan B, using the shell of an old Bachmann 70-tonner with a few extra pieces glued-on:

EndPlatformMockup_before_painting.jpg

I also covered the direct-facing windows with Micro-Mask to see how well it would protect them. Then I did the test spray using an extra-low air pressure setting (~10psi), and that enabled me to cover the entire area, including those spots where I had to spray close at an angle to get around obstacles (the brake wheel and reflector panel). The painting mockup was a success; the masking was not. Apparently, the smooth plastic surface tension had cause the Micro-Mask to partially pull away from one of the window corners, leaving that surface exposed. Furthermore, the dried mask membrane was difficult to peel away from the recessed window borders and looked sloppy:

EndPlatformMockup_painted.jpg

...so I had to cutout pieces of masking tape to fit precisely over each caboose window. At least I was able to make some sheet styrene templates for cutting the tape:

WindowMaskingCutoutTemplates_and_MaskedModel.jpg

In the end, the experiment on the junk shell saved me from wrecking the windows on five I-12 caboose models that cost $60 apiece.

Here are a few before/after shots. #C2491 is in the mid-1960's "pool service" scheme, making it most likely to be dirty from several years' worth of road splatter:

BnO_Cab_C2491_new.jpg

BnO_Cab_C2491_weathered.jpg

#C2409, on the other hand, is in the later solid blue pool service scheme so it would tend to be cleaner:

BnO_Cab_C2409_new.jpg

BnO_Cab_C2409_weathered.jpg

Really nice work Ken. The step by step and before and after pictures really add to the thread. Let's see more.

Excellent post Ken. The cars really look outstanding. Quite a difference.

Many years ago when I was just starting my layout, I was custom painting a lot of undecorated freight cars and figured I would try to do some weathering. I made a lot of difference. I ended up weathering all freight cats and locomotives before they went on the layout. Most was light weathering. Modeling the transition era, I used some black chaly to try to simulate soot that was on top of the cars running down the sides of the cars. Then I would give the cars a light shot of "mud" along the bottom of all of the cars to give the impression of the dust that would be collected as trains ran down the tracks.

IMAG0265.jpg IMAG0261.jpg

The light shot of mud color also helped bring out the truck details as it did on yours. It wasn't really hard at all and only took a few minutes for each car. I used to help the Great Falls model railroad club during State Fair when they needed to have trains operating during fair hours and there were so many comments from the visitors to the club mentions that they were dirty, just like the real trains. The following year, a lot of the club members who had shiny new cars had also weathered their cars.

Excellent post and some really nice work. Well done. Thanks for posting.

Ok let's see: Olie...Willie...Ed...Chet...Mike...Curt...Tony...Boris...hope I didn't miss anybody[?] Thank you ALL for the positive feedback!

Olie, I'd love to be able to do a video but that is a talent I haven't fully mastered yet. In fact I was struggling to find decent places to set my cars for the still photos LOL!

Chet, I've always admired your weathering. I'll have to wait until later to do any roof residue runoff streaks on any of my cars, that type of work will take a lot longer per car than just doing a few passes with an airbrush; especially if I want the streaks to be perfectly vertical and not slanted.

I'll post some more photos tomorrow after work, gotta get some sleep now...5:30am comes early and I ain't retired yet!

By popular demand...

...a few more photos!

I found two more sets of before/after pics to share. I'll start with this pair of Accurail open auto racks:

TTKX_908295_and_908930_new.jpg

TTKX_908295_and_908930_weathered.jpg

This view is actually the main factor that compelled me to stop procrastinating and tackle the job of weathering all my rolling stock. The benchwork where those cars are sitting spans directly over a flight of stairs leading 4ft down into the laundry room. I walk thru that passage every weekday evening after work, and I swear those wheels were so polished and shiny that I could see my own reflection in them - NOT a good thing!o_O

Luckily auto racks don't have a lot of outwardly-visible surface area, so they were actually among the easier types of cars to airbrush.

On the other hand, my 86ft hi-cube auto part boxcars required a much larger volume of paint coverage - first a thin layer of Tamiya Neutral Grey over the entire body [to eliminate the plastic sheen], then a trace of grungy brown along the bottom and on the ends to simulate road dust. One feature I noticed in numerous prototype photos of this type of car, was that the plug doors were not shiny silver but a flat grey or light brownish color, with grease stains along the exposed moving parts of the door from repeated spray-on applications of lubricant.

Here is an upgraded Athearn blue-box 86-footer, before and after:

NW_86ftHiCubeBox_355372_new.jpg

NW_86ftHiCubeBox_355372_weathered.jpg

I had to keep reminding myself that since the auto manufacturers were among the railroads' most lucrative customers [and they dang well knew it], these cars had to be kept much cleaner than most other types of freight cars...no rust buckets accepted!

Weathering - the Great Equalizer[?]

I really wish I'd had the foresight to get some "before" images of the following cars, because they would have shown exactly how different they looked from each other prior to getting the treatment.

My roster includes four Athearn RTR models of the ACF 2970 2-bay covered hopper, used mostly for hauling cement and/or sand. All are lettered for Western Maryland; two of them were factory-painted, the other two were self-painted and lettered with homegrown inkjet-printed decals. The home-decorated cars were painted light "aircraft" grey from a rattle can (don't remember what brand) that looked ok until later when I acquired the two factory painted models, which were nearly white. I tried to avoid consisting them together because the color difference was so painfully obvious.

Then I had an idea: I would cover the self-painted cars in a mist of flat white, and the factory-painted ones in dark grey. Voila! - even though they still weren't identical, the contrast between the two shades of grey was now much less, and the cars at least looked like they MIGHT have originally emerged from the same paint shop and just got weathered differently (as prototype cars always do anyway):

Three_ACF_CementHoppers.jpg

You're doing some very nice work, there, Ken! I also prefer weathering when it's done rather lightly. I'm not a real fan of rust-bucket rolling stock.

Back