Geez! I didn't know there were any left...

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Semaphores that is, in my neck of the woods. I happened to catch a glimpse of this one on the old SRR in Talledega, Al today. It was seriously backlit, but I shot it anyway. ;)

2517080273_ed0c56f906_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric, that's weird. I wonder why it would still be operating with just the yellow lense lit? Maybe some kind of approach signal? That's an amazingly large blade on such a short pole semaphore too. Must be some kind of story behind that signal.

Eric, that's weird. I wonder why it would still be operating with just the yellow lense lit? Maybe some kind of approach signal? That's an amazingly large blade on such a short pole semaphore too. Must be some kind of story behind that signal.

Inquiring minds want to know... My RR signalling book is out on loan, does anyone in cyberland have any input?

I'm assuming, if the yellow is the only one, then its a slow order track, the questions for not having a red, is beyond me.

What else is located further down that line? It's interesting that there's no semaphore located on the other side of the track, as you'd expect to see if it was controlling two-way traffic. I'm wondeing if it's not being used a fixed aspect slow approach signal for trains headed in one direction for some industry or siding further down the line. The yellow target located below the signal would seem to reinforce that theory, given what little I know about signals.

I've seen those on lines that are un-signaled except for an interlocking. It would be an approach to an absolute signal for crossing or entering another line. The one we had locally was fixed in the approach aspect and the whole blade was yellow. That one looks like it is fixed also. Neat signal, and that it lights up is even more intriguing.

Greg

The Southern Manitoba Railway has a permanent semaphore displaying yellow also, it is at an aproach to a diamond with the CPR in Morris MB.
I have a pic somewhere if I can only find it.
The diamond is a "self serve interlocking" which means that the first train or track unit to reach the interlocking signal has to push a button to turn the opposite signal red. It takes about 5 minutes to allow a train already past the signal to clear the limits. A cool feature to add to a layout I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen those on lines that are un-signaled except for an interlocking. It would be an approach to an absolute signal for crossing or entering another line. The one we had locally was fixed in the approach aspect and the whole blade was yellow. That one looks like it is fixed also. Neat signal, and that it lights up is even more intriguing.

Greg

Greg, you're spot on here. I read your post and took a peek at the location on Google Earth. My Mom is from Talledega and we were there looking at some of the old family houses and such. She remembers trains in the town from the 1940s... I remember driving thru as a kid but am not very familiar with the area, hence the GE look. Here's what I found...
2523761861_5b7d444358_o.jpg

The Southern Manitoba Railway has a permanent semaphore displaying yellow also, it is at an aproach to a diamond with the CPR in Morris MB.
I have a pic somewhere if I can only find it.
The diamond is a "self seve interlocking" which means that the first train or track unit to reach the interlocking signal has to push a button to turn the opposite signal red. It takes about 5 minutes to allow a train already past the signal to clear the limits. A cool feature to add to a layout I think.

Yes it would...:cool: :cool: :cool:

That's a really cool discovery Eric, I've never seen any semaphores used in real life, ever! In fact I consider myself lucky whenever I happen to see an old B&O color position light still in use...

That's a really cool discovery Eric, I've never seen any semaphores used in real life, ever! In fact I consider myself lucky whenever I happen to see an old B&O color position light still in use...

That was the case with me as well. I'm sure I saw them as a kid but can't remember... I about wet myself when I caught a glimpse of it from several hundred yards distant as we went thru a grade crossing. :D

Guys, the signal is called an "Approach Distant" and is used to tell the train crew of an approaching interlocking/signal. The signal is fixed to display just the yellow indication.
There are a few of these up in Indiana. They do come in various shapes and sizes.

The blade is just merely a representation, as the yellow bowtie and light are enough. Some plates have a yellow plate with a D for "Distant".

So there should be atleast a signal ahead. These are most common on branches and unsignaled mainline when approaching signaled territory.

The territory I worked had 3 type. Semaphore, Signal, and banner.

Guys, the signal is called an "Approach Distant" and is used to tell the train crew of an approaching interlocking/signal. The signal is fixed to display just the yellow indication.
There are a few of these up in Indiana. They do come in various shapes and sizes.

The blade is just merely a representation, as the yellow bowtie and light are enough. Some plates have a yellow plate with a D for "Distant".

So there should be atleast a signal ahead. These are most common on branches and unsignaled mainline when approaching signaled territory.

The territory I worked had 3 type. Semaphore, Signal, and banner.

Thanks for the confirmation. :cool:

I may go back and shoot the semaphore in the early morning light. I wonder what the chances are of a train coming from the crossing, by the signal while I'm there... :p At $4 per gallon, I'll have to be needing to go that way anyhow, because it ain't just across the street from me.

Since we're on the subject of semaphores, here's one I photographed today at the Heart of Dixie RR Museum. They have a cool "signal garden" where visitors can push a button and various grade crossing signals and block signals activate. One of the signals is this cool semaphore. Here's two shots of it...

Static...
2539912239_06aa085a95_o.jpg

In motion...
2539912467_bf50cbbacb_o.jpg

Back