Gears for older Walthers Proto 2000 locos

fcwilt

Hi,

When it became clear a few years back that I was finally going to have a location to build my layout I started collecting rolling stock when items I wanted came on the market.

Now that the layout is up and running (no scenery yet) I have begun the process of getting the locos ready to run (clean, lubricate, install decoder, etc).

I opened an older Walthers Proto 2000 loco and gave it a test run only to find that there was something seriously wrong with the drive train.

Long story short, it seems clear that the plastic used for the gears in the drive train have suffered from shrinkage - there was far too much play in the drive train and two of the gears on the axles had split.

So the questions are:

1 - Any parts available for these older units?
2 - Any one making replacement gears in metal?
3 - Any machinists out there who could make metal gears?

Thanks much!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a common problem with Proto 2000 gears. Replace them with Athearn part number 60024. They are more durable and a direct replacement.

The Proto 2000s run a bit slower than any other loco too. In order to MU a Proto 2K with Athearn Genesis, Intermountain, BLI or MTH I have to reduce the top speed of all the other locos.

This is a common problem with Proto 2000 gears. Replace them with Athearn part number 60024. They are more durable and a direct replacement.

There are, I believe two different gears involved - the gear on the axle and the "idler" gears. If that is correct does Athearn have a replacement for each?

Thanks!

The Proto 2000s run a bit slower than any other loco too. In order to MU a Proto 2K with Athearn Genesis, Intermountain, BLI or MTH I have to reduce the top speed of all the other locos.

Hi Ken,

How have you been?

Since my layout is relatively small to make runs last longer I set a top speed of 40 or 50 for all my locos - so that pretty much takes care of the matching problem.

There are, I believe two different gears involved - the gear on the axle and the "idler" gears. If that is correct does Athearn have a replacement for each?

Thanks!

I have only ever replaced the axle gears - I am not sure on the others. But replacing the axle gears usually seems to cure the problem for me anyways.

If you are a Ebay'r look for a seller that goes by Sooo Much Stuff he has a store and very likely will have any Athearn gear you need.His prices are ,shipping in inexpencive ,and service is quick. My only connection is that of a happy satisfied repeat customer.:)

I have only ever replaced the axle gears - I am not sure on the others. But replacing the axle gears usually seems to cure the problem for me anyways.

What are the basic steps for replacing the axle gear?

Do I need any special tools?

Thanks!

If you are a Ebay'r look for a seller that goes by Sooo Much Stuff he has a store and very likely will have any Athearn gear you need.His prices are ,shipping in inexpencive ,and service is quick. My only connection is that of a happy satisfied repeat customer.:)

Thanks I will check that out.

Tried to find a seller by that name but no luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the basic steps for replacing the axle gear?

Do I need any special tools?

Thanks!
A small flat-headed screwdriver should be about all you need. An NMRA standards gauge would help make sure the wheels are in gauge when you are done.

fcwilt - It's not a big deal and it happens to all the older ones. Once you get the gears fixed you will grow to appreciate the P2K locos. I bought a batch of early ones from an older gent leaving the hobby and almost every axle gear was cracked just from sitting in boxes. So I bought a couple of bags of replacement ones (Athearn ones fit) Replacing the gears got me involved with super-detailing and DCC-sound equipping and they are some of the best runners now.

Back