Found this video of the City Edge Layout

I really enjoyed reading about that layout. I especially liked the piece on modeling vehicles with doors and trunks open.

Very impressive layout, especially since I like street running. The only thing that bugs me about the layout is the streets and sidewalks are too shiny, especially at night. I'm not sure if they are simulating rain or what, but the reflections from the building lights and EL trains shouldn't be there if they're not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing, Jim. Maybe rain is on their mind, i noticed they did mention "drainage"! :D I love this layout, though. Very impressive detail level. I was not impressed by the "green screen" :rolleyes: parts at all. I almost want to describe them as "insulting". Reminds me of the cheap tv sitcom "riding in the car" scenes. Not realistic at all as the description tries to sell it. IMHO this layout speaks for itself, unassisted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy, I agree about the special effects thing. The layout does a very good job of presenting itself without anything fancy. I would like to know if they are trying to represent wet streets and sidewalks. I only seem to see the shine on the night scenes. I've thought about doing a part of the layout as if it just rained but I haven't come up with a way to do it that doesn't make the the streets look like a skating rink. :)

In the first part of the video, it does look to me that the streets and such are supposed to be wet. The bit where the NS was street running, it looked like the tarp loads were wet looking too.

Back