Foam board?

Hey guys just looking for inputs on foam board. What kind should be used? Is it possible to go too thick? Cause the thicker you have to more shapeing that can be done. Also, how can you nail roadbed and track to foam?

You want to use the builders extruded foam. It's either Pink or Blue at your local Home Depot. Do NOT get the white bead stuff.

2" is usually what everyone uses. Depending on what you want to do with it. Dig out rivers, and valley's, etc. Personally, I use 1.5" foam. I think it's more than enough for scenery.

You can't use nails for the track to the foam. You use cheap latex caulk for everything. Get the gray colored caulk. It won't show through when you ballast your track. Roadbed to the foam, and track to roadbed. When laying down flex track, lay a thin bead of caulk, then use push pins to hold the track in place while the glue dries. At least 4 hours or more.

You should also paint the foam with some latex paint. Like dirt color. It's a lot easier when doing you scenery. Staring at all the pink before you get to the scenery part, is very annoying to me.

Do not use any kinds of solvents or other spray chemicals on the foam, it will eat it. Only use latex caulk.

One more note, it comes with a thin protective film (on both sides), make sure you peel that off before working with it. Ask me how I know this... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys want me to explain my ignorance?

Yes, I didn't know there was a plastic film that had to be peeled off. The first section I was working with, got it all glued down. Everything looked great. Then I had to trim the edges, and discovered the film. I ended up just leaving it that way.

doooooogh!

Oh, I just thought of another tip with foam. You can use a jigsaw to cut it, rather than using a knife. The jigsaw leaves nice edges, I find the kitchen knife didn't cut it cleanly enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have to also admit about the film on the foam board. Didn't know or think anything about. Well guess what, latex paint won't stick to it, peels up everytime it gets wet, white glue for ballast and scenery peels up too. I already have all the roadbed and track down, glued and nailed so now doing the scenery but every section I do I stop and peel the film off first then go to work.

No not really. You probably could save the track if you're very patient and careful, but with ballast it's hard to do.

I have found that easier just rip the track out and replace it with new piece.

wait, if u ballast on a track then its pretty much permanent, correct? So using the cauking wont make a difference because the ballast will permanize it anyways?

Correct. Using the caulk is only for keeping it in place, until you are able to ballast it. Usually that is the last part, when you start the scenery.

You need to have solid trackwork, and need to test, test, and test more. Before doing any ballast or scenery.

Yes I understand that. I just never knew ballast pretty much made my track concrete. Cause I was planning on making a simple track then just adding it and moving as I need... wont be that easy, lol

I was thinking about using just foam over a tunnel section that will also have structures and track on top. It is about a 3x3 triangle shape with a span over the tunnel maybe 10" at it's widest. How thick of foam would it take to support that or should I go back to the original plywood plan?

I was thinking about using just foam over a tunnel section that will also have structures and track on top. It is about a 3x3 triangle shape with a span over the tunnel maybe 10" at it's widest. How thick of foam would it take to support that or should I go back to the original plywood plan?

Foam is/can be quite strong, and you can use it as a support as well as a track base if it's placed up on end just as you would with wood.. At the end of the day, the amount of weight you'll be putting on it with scenery and running trains over it won't be that great so as long as it's structurally supported on a firm base and your using the 2" foam, you should be fine..

Some people build their entire layout (normally portable ones) from foam in order to keep the weight down...

Here is a nice layout build that uses foam:
http://www.railwayeng.com/Newloop/index.htm

One thing to note is the use of plywood (luan) for the roadbed. This properly supports the track and makes fitting to the foam trivial. Also note he uses expanding foam from a can the 'glue' the pieces of foam together. This would make carving the foam easier since the joints at also foam.

Back