Flo's Place (a.k.a. Coffee Shop #19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinkin' of an Aegis system. All radar and remote control, though a 40mm gattling gun would be quite the conversation piece, too. But, having such things would surely take a lot of clean up, picking up brass, even after a test fire.

I was boarded by the Canuckians this year, twice. They do the same thing our USCG does. Inspect the boat for contraband and insure all safety requirements are met. I appreciate their duty. I've got nothing to hide other than the liquor in the cabinet. And I'd gladly mix 'em up a mean Margarita or Pina Colada if they wanted one.

The reason the foredeck is clear is to have a space for the better half's nieces to sun bathe. You did notice that I can get a FULL view from the flying bridge didn'tcha? I may be old, but I ain't dead. And lookin' never killed anybody.

And, Karl, you're welcome aboard anytime. The Carver is a great boat. At 32-feet it still seems bigger than it really is. Handles great in tight spots, like docking. And is big enough to handle most foul weather we see on the Great Lakes. We have taken waves over the flying bridge. Not something I want to do every day, though.

It has all of the amenities of home, including a 32" TV with a DVD player, stove, oven, A/C and heater, shower, microwave, ice maker, 'fridge, freezer, and a 3000w stereo for rowdy days on the water when you want EVERYONE to hear you. The TV and DVD are mounted to a "swing up" deal that keeps it out of the way when not in use. And there is a wheelhouse to go to when the weather is too foul to stay up top that will keep you dry.

Some of the things you don't see in the picture is the trolling gear. There are two planer board masts on either side and four down riggers on the stern. And a gas grill for the burgers, brats and hot dogs. Even been known to throw a few steaks and butterfly pork chops on from time to time. So other than being on water instead of land, it's like being at home. There are even two laptops. One for navigation and one for browsing the web. Add in the grandkids' game boxes, both Nintendo and X-Box, and you have it all.

And any one is welcome aboard, just leave the DMSF at home. We have water canons and such to keep you busy. Besides, the "eye candy" sure beats throwing monkey turds any time.

By the way, the Willys doesn't float. Did anyone notice the windshield and side windows are missing? It's a different color now. We repainted it last year, metallic black cherry flip-flop. When light hits it a certain way it looks blue. The picture was taken just before we wheeled it into the paint shop. I thought I had a picture of it in its new paint, but I can't seem to find it.

Here's a couple of pics of what's under the hood. The motor home in the picture isn't mine, by the way. It belongs to one of the guys at the shop. He bought it with a blown engine and we replaced it for him. Them things sure are hard to work on, that's for sure. I had to build the new engine after we put the block in place. Not something I want to do in the future. Here's some pics of the Willys.
snorkelmotorside.jpg

snorkelmotorfront.jpg

And here are a couple of it during the "build".
baretail.jpg

4088_12.jpg

4150_12.jpg

zolotone1.jpg

Bob

BoB, your living my dream! Your Hot Rod Is Uber Cool, I just wish I had you Automotive Knowledge!!!!!!! You Can Just slip that motor in my 2500 silverado....hehehehehehehe!

Good morning folks

It was a chilly 56 F when I stepped out the door this morning. The high will be 76 F.

We had a fun day on Saturday partaking in the Riverfront Ramble along the Delaware River in Delaware County. We visited the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge and the venues in Marcus Hook. We found some pirates that are willing to come to our Blue and Gold Banquet next year. Sunday was grocery shopping and doing outside chores like mowing the lawn and trimming the bushes.

I did not get any trains in. I was too tired by evening on both days.

Tonight my son has Boy Scouts.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Bob I love that engine! Good thing there are straps for the dang thing b/c the blowers can go poof pretty fast if they do go!! Where did you get the body for the beast?

Chris Audrey and I took one look at that car and I said to her about our next door neighbour might like that engine in his truck instead of that Cummins thing he has in it now----she howled!:D:D:D

Good Morning-

Got the dull and rainies for the week and next by the looks of things and with this'un doing the afternoon work and evening classes thing I won't be seeing much---or missing it---:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh, excuse me for being a little one at this point----people mention something on this forum about going to a WPM, what be that?:confused: Is that another WGH kinda thing? I just love acronyms----:eek:

You all have a good one----:D:D

Bob, is that a Rat or Mouse? It's kind of hard to tell with that Blender sitting on top, it makes it look small.
A week ago today, we bought an antique Suburban to tow our antique travel trailer. It has a fuel injected 7.4 in it, I'm just not sure if the 7.4 is displacement, or MPG... Tromp down on it, and you can almost hear the fuel tank implode. My Silverado 2500HD (almost identical twin to Chris') doesn't have enough oomph to get the trailer over the mountains out here.

Good morning.

It's 74 and cloudy. The high will be in the high 80's and there's a chance of rain.

Got most of the painting done on the water tank yesterday. I used a mix of gray primer, flat black and red primer and covered it all with a coat of Clear Flat. However it's still not finished. I still have make the top hatch and install it and the ladder. I've been looking through my junk box for pieces I can use to make a pump station to put at the tanks base but it's looking like I'll have to scratch build one. Got and appointment with the foot doc today then two more doc appointments over the next two days, one in DeRidder and one in Leesville. My cable internet went out at about 6:30 last night and was still out at 10:00. It was however back on this morning. Typical for the level of service we have here.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/21/2009

Heat Index: 77°F
Humidity: 98%
Dew Point: 71°F

So Far Today
High: 76°F
Low: 72°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Through 9 AM...a band of showers will continue to produce anywhere from a few sprinkles to a few hundredths of an inch of rain over southeast Texas...southwest Louisiana and central Louisiana.

Today High: 88 Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 72 Partly cloudy early in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P9210194.jpg

Another fun week here on the home front. Wallpaper stripping has started and so when SHE gets the paper stripped I get to paint the room. Yehaw, not

Hey all!

I had what has to be, one of the best weekends I've had in a long time! I took my wife and son camping at a bike rally. Unfortunately my daughter had to stay home as she had school. The rally used to be a BMW bike rally, but a couple of years ago they opened it up to other makes. As such, it was still 95% BMW's, but that isn't a bad thing. Those are some really unique bikes, ya know? What they can do with only 500cc's is amazing! I got pic's of every bike in attendence except one Honda Shadow (too bad, 'cause it was really nice too!). We had a host of BMW's (from 1958 -2009), that Honda Shadow, a brand new Harley Crossbones, and not just one, but TWO, YES TWO Drifters! Mine, and the host of the rally. He had a beautiful custom painted blackout bike. It was blue and white, with sparkles in the white and ghosted flames in the blue. Really sharp lookin'! Check it out.......

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Drifter/Darlington Mini-Rally/IMG_0792.jpg

I've got a link if you want to see more pics of the rally. It's here (the guest login is "Drifter"): http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Drifter/Darlington Mini-Rally/ . There are 3 pages of pics.

Anyways, thought I'd pop in and say hi....so.......HI!

Oh, and John's bike and my bike do look good together!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Drifter/Darlington Mini-Rally/IMG_0820.jpg

And Bob......thats one way cool Willys!

The engine is a 410CI Rodek, based loosely on a small block Chevy. I found the car in a barn sale, actually. The frame was almost rusted in two, the reason we had to build a new frame(shown in the picture. The rear end is a narrowed 12-bolt Dana. I wanted a 9" Ford, but couldn't find one at a reasonable price. The paint on the frame and rear end is Coal Black Emron, a Ferrari color.

I had the engine dyno'd, in a conservative set up, at just over 1100BHP. I change the drive when we got home to an even MORE conservative setup to help conserve fuel. But it ran like crap. So, I changed back to the original drive. The supercharger really whines and whistles when the car is running. You can't even talk, but have to yell at the person sitting next to you.

Terry, I used to have a 1958 Suburban. I found that beast in a barnyard in Southern Indiana. Trailered it home after we, literally, dug it out of the mud. I was going to restore it, but the floor pans were gone. So, we tubbed it and made a rod out of it. Placed a twin turbocharged 410ci Rodek in it(notice how well I like Rodeks?). Painted the truck the brightest yellow I've ever seen. You had to where sunglasses to even look at it. It is since gone, sold to a fella from Memphis, Tennessee, but not before winning a couple of shows, best in class. I couldn't keep anything in the drive train of stock configuration together with the engine setup. Talk about some 4-wheel burnouts!!! That truck would produce some awesome displays. Almost everything in the drive train was custom built by a company in Indy that makes parts for military helicopters. I had a buddy that was a machinist there. He made the u-joints, drive shaft, gears and the axles. And you wonder why the military budget is so high. lol

I have a 1956 Ford F100 at the house in Michigan. I am planning on putting it together to pull the old Chris Craft to boat shows. It was a project that someone else started but ran out of either money or time to finish. It is set up for a big block Ford(a 460, I think), but that's gonna change. A slightly massaged 350 Chevy will power the truck, I have a couple of those in the pole barn. The truck is actually in great shape and will need little work on my part. It has the twin spare tires mount on the sides of the bed. I will add a few creature comforts like A/C, automatic transmission, power steering, cruise control, tilt steering wheel, and swivel bucket seats. And of course a decent sound system. I don't want to tear up the truck any more than I have to, seeing as how good the condition of the original body is in.

I will make a few changes to the engine to improve gas mileage. Things like rejetting the carburetor, leaning the fuel mix to TRY to get about 20-22mpg while towing. A cam change may be in order too. Something with a little less duration and less lift. The engine I'm thinking of using has a 9.5:1 compression, so it's not real radical, just enough to sound good. Especially with a straight-thru exhaust and headers. But, I have to watch leaning out the fuel mix. Get it too lean will cause temperatures to rise in the cylinders and destroy the engine.

Raining here today, off and on. Mostly on. Pickle showers mostly. Might get some train time. Though I might have to make myself invisible and keep away from the better half. But, Angela is like a blood hound, and she knows all of my hiding places. Gonna be a tough assignment steering clear of her. she wants to paint a few rooms(again). I thought we had done that last year, but she says it's been 3 years and she's tired of the color. Go figger. She's the big reason I don't buy new furniture, always antiques. I can usually get my money back out of those when she has a "mind-change". Besides, I enjoy refinishing those old pieces. Keeps me in the garage and away from less appreciated "honey-do's", like painting.

A funny thing, every time she hears me in the garage sawing something with one of the power saws, or running the router,, she ambles out and asks the proverbial question, "What are you doing/building now?" I always give her the proverbial "man-answer", "Nothing." That usually appeases her, but there are times when she presses the issue. Then I have to find an important answer like I'm building a new shelf for the hallway or something. Then I take the time to cut, or router, some wood for a new module frame. But, she's getting smarter. She knows that I don't use pine to make shelves, only railroad stuff. Maybe I should stain the pine BEFORE I start working it.

Well, it's lunch time. Gonna have some leftover beef and noodles with mashed 'taters, I think. A cold glass of iced tea and I'll be set.

Here are a few cars we built while I owned the SkunkWerks. Enjoy.

Griffith-02.jpg

BattleofByron5-3-2008004.jpg

HPIM4650.jpg

car.jpg

221.jpg

Red_Truck.jpg

My 1956 Nomad
101_1851.jpg

b834_2-1.jpg

Don't know why the last one turned up as a thumbnail. I must have screwed up when I down loaded it.

These pics are of our two Boston Terriers on boating excursions. The one wit hboth of them is on a buddy's boat. The first one is Hannah playing look out on the fore deck.

Woody2007_lg.jpg

Lola_India_lg.jpg

Bob

Hey All,

Cool, rainy day here in Colorado. It was only 43 in Denver when I drove in at noon. Feels great!

Both the Broncos and the Rockies won this weekend...so I reckon all is well. Oh, yeah, CU beat Wyoming, too. Looks the the Broncos new head coach is off to a good start. (actually I haven't watched a Broncos games since Elway retired. Heard him on a local sports station last week and when asked, he said he can still throw a football about 65 yards. Always liked Elway.)

Have a great week!

Sandy

Went to see the foot doc today. I told him that I'm having pain in my right foot, very unusual as I usually have no pain in my feet at all. In fact this pain is intense enough that I had to a lortab this morning. The only pain I can feel is deep bone pain. He poked and prodded at my foot, stuck it with this and that and naturally there was no reaction. Then he put some pressure down on the top of the foot just ahead of the ankle and it hurt like the dickens. He then had some X-rays done and we examined them together. At first nothing stood out. Then we compared then to X-rays done in June and lo and behold, one of the bones in top of the foot has dropped nearly a 1/4 of an inch. He asked me what I've been doing and I admitted to him that I mowed my parent's yard yesterday at which time he gave me a dirty look that could knock a Big Boy over. Now I have ANOTHER TWO APPOINTMENTS to add to my schedule. So now I have the appointment tomorrow in DeRidder with the urologist then an appointment Wednesday morning with my PCP. The two additional are an appointment Wednesday afternoon at Deer Creek for an MRI then I have an appointment Thursday afternoon with the foot doc again to go over the MRI findings. So that's my week pretty much shot.

Afternoon, everyone.

Sandy, I always liked the Broncos too since the 49'ers could always beat them up so badly. :D I was glad to see Elway finally win a Super Bowl but they could never do it against us. Looks like winter is about to begin in Denver although it's a little early for the traditional Halloween blizard.

Bob, holy cow! Custom cars, boats, and trains? How do you get it all in. Those cars are real beauties, as is that engine. That thing looks like it could pull a 100 car coal train. :eek: I was a sailor but I always thought I'd buy a Carver if I got into powerboats. They are great ocean going vessels, stable and true, even in some rough seas. I saw a bunch of them in the Caribbean and I never met an owner who didn't like his. Well, that is, until they had fill up the fuel tank. Our boat had twin 50 hp Volvo's with a 50 gallon tank. Carver owners just pulled up to the fuel dock and went to have lunch and the tanks might be full when they got back. :) The US Coast Guard was fine when we were boarded because they were looking for drugs and didn't spend a lot of time harrasing you if it was clear you were just a live-aboard. The local defense forces in the Caribbean were a different story. You had to watch them like a hawk or they'd steal half your stuff. They'd rip the boat apart looking for anything that vaguely looked like contraband and then try to get you to pay a "fine" on the spot. I told them I'd be happy to go back to port and appear before a magistrate but they weren't getting a dime. On top of that, they were dumb. I think I must have been boarded at least 10 times over the years and they never found my guns. Waterproof bags and a nice, oily bilge work good. :rolleyes:

Phillip, good weather, cqamping with the family and a bike rally...what a nice combination. Sure looks you had a good. Those are some mighty pretty bikes too.

Larry, wallpaper stripping and painting. I'm not sure I can think of any combination of jobs I could hate worse.

Jeffrey, join the crow when it come to cable internet. Mine is on about half the time. Not as bad as some of the guys north of me though. They haven't even had power in the last few days. And what did I tell you about all that mowing and ripping out heaters? You've got to stay off those feet and leave the heavy lifting to someone else.

Barry, I have no idea what a WPM is either. I assume it has something to do with trains. :)

We've been lucky down this way. We've had a little over four inches in the last three days and it looks like we are in a dry slot now. Of course, since we a train swap meet up in Pelham on Saturday, it rained all day. :( They've had as much as 10 inches of rain in the last several days north of me and there's starting to be some serious flooding. Rex, how are things up your way? It looked like nothing but continuous storms going through T-Town on the radar yesterday. We have now made up for a three year drought in one week. No rain here today and it looks like things are breaking up on the radar so maybe the folks north of me will catch a break. The tropics are quiet. Normally, I'd be wishing for a nice tropical storm about now to green things up but we'd be in real trouble if we had one of those bearing down on us now. We need about a week with no rain to dry things out but it looks like we have achance of more rain for the rest of the week. When Barry finally stopped stealing our rain, I guess he decided to give it back all at once. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
bOb you make me sick:mad::p, all my life I have wanted a Nomad like yours!:( All that left for you to do is to tell me, " You sold it cheap to some kid and he wraped it around a tree two weeks later!:(:(:(:(" Now I will crawl off and cry my self to sleep..................................................................:(

Whoa! miss a day or two and Flo moves the place and everybody starts showing off the toys!:D Very nice toys you guys have!

Phillip; Nice pics of the rally, those events are always fun.:D

Jeffery; Dude, you better take it easy on the foot man. Give up a few days and take it easy, it will probably be better for you in the long run:) Hope that thing gets better soon,,,

Notch & steamfreak; Welcome to the forum and the coffee shop. You do realize the new guys buy everyone a round, right?:D:D:D

Well, I had the day off and started closing down my pool, then it started raining so I came inside and started getting my basement straightened around so I can have some space for the layout I want to start. So far I have a nice 15' X 8' space and I might be able to squeeze a few more feet in if I get rid of some old junk. Just a little ore straightening and rearranging and I should be good to start planning and building some bench work.:cool: I am off again tomorrow so I will get the pool done and hopefully another few hours on the basement.

Oh well, I am off to poke around the board for awhile, talk to you guys later...:cool:

Good evening;
The September equinox is around the corner, signalling better weather to come.

That's good for my future MRR room / craft workshop. It is uninsulated and is pretty hot when the weather is humid and hot, but is cold when it's cold outside.

That room was discovered to have a leak on Saturday. Lots of wood finishes but thankfully nothing pro-layout as far as I am concerned were destroyed. My mother tried calling up an appropriate person to fix it, and they promised on coming, but they... didn't. :mad:

Hopefully tomorrow my MRR room will be fixed so I can continue fixing to create a modern switching and long haul hotshot room.

Good morning.

Jeff, I hope that foot problem gets taken care of, but I hope even more that you'll take it easy and lay off the mowing until that thing heals up.

Sandy - congrats to all your teams. Somebody once told me that, because your athletes are accustomed to the thinner air of Colorado's higher elevation, they have an endurance advantage over teams from sea-level cities.

Jim - You brought back some childhood memories of sailing with my father on the Great Lakes and the Bay. Luckily we never had to worry about those thuggish patrols you described.

Tony - those swimming pools can be a lot of work, eh? BTW I thought you retired a few months ago...?

Speaking of leaks, another one sprang up in the feed line to my hot water heater last night. So now I have to take another half-day off work for a plumber to come out and fix it. I'm sure glad I have home repair insurance to cover it. These copper pipes are damaged by the high acid levels in our well water, the only permanent solution would be to install a costly filtration system - which I can't afford for the same reason I don't have a state-of-the-art trainroom. I hate this house.

Jeffery; Dude, you better take it easy on the foot man. Give up a few days and take it easy, it will probably be better for you in the long run:) Hope that thing gets better soon,,,
No-can-do this week. I'm on the run most of the week. I have an appointment in DeRidder today the two more appointments in Leesville Wednesday and another appointment Thursday.

Mornin' guys:D

Well we are supposed to get more rain today so looks like another day to keep going on the basement. I might be able to move my plywood from the garage to the basement later today.

Tony...BTW I thought you retired a few months ago...?

Ken; Nope, not me, I still have at least one more year. You ither got me confused with someone else or maybe we talked about retirement here in the coffee shop awhile back:confused: Anyway, next September and I will start thinking about retirement...

Got some other odds and ends to do today like go see the barber and pick up a furnace filter.

Well, it's off to the basement for me, talk to you guys later...:D

Good morning folks

It was 66 F on the way in this morning. High will be 79 F.

My daughter made the 8th grade volleyball at her middle school. She has two weeks of practice and then their first game. Not much went on last night. We went to my son’s Boy Scout Troop Meeting. We finally found out what he accomplished at summer camp. He is a couple of achievements away from making Tenderfoot and Second Class.

My foot has started bothering me again. I can’t figure out anything I did to it to trigger this round of pain. My wife suggested getting new shoes so we’ look into that.

No trains.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back