first try at weathering

BigE

I'll definitely put on some plastic gloves next time. You all were right. That stuff gets all over everything.
Anyway, here is the finished sand bin for my sanding tower facility.
P4040015.JPG
I painted it earth brown first and then hit it with grimy black.
I guess I'm OK with that. Pretty much what I was going after.
P6290028.JPG
E.

That looks great!

Did you use air brush for the black, or weathering chalk, or some other method I'm not sure about?

That looks great!

Did you use air brush for the black, or weathering chalk, or some other method I'm not sure about?

Don't have an airbrush - yet. I used powder with the brush pictured.. I think laser printer toner would work for a grimy black. No one I know has tried.
At first I was initially thinking to use an antique wash but just about everyone I asked about doing this said to use the powder.
Like I said, this was my first try at this so I'm pretty pleased with it. I never even seen weathering done on models, except for a couple videos, much less ever even seen the materials with my own eyes.
I'm not brave enough to try it on my engines and not sure I want to either.

And to reiterate, the stuff gets on everything. It's all over my fingers now just getting the top off that little container so I could get you a pic.
P6290030_3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice job Eric, especially for a first attempt - don't think you could improve too much (if at all) on that!

Thanks Mate. I appreciate that.
This might just be one of those "one off" projects where I did it just right the first time.

I did that once putting a 55 gallon fish tank in the wall between my kitchen and living room.
Thought about it for the better part of a year. Sketched it out for a week or 2. Talked with my [2nd] wife about it for another week. Tore the wall up for the best part of a weekend to start framing it up and getting it as near perfect to level as I could. The only power tool I had was some old cheap circular saw. Measured, measure some more and re-measured even more. 2 weekends later it was time to put the tank in and fill it up. Boy was I nervous hoping it was going to be level.
I filled it all the way to the top and the water touched exactly on all four corners. Perfect.
I told someone I would never do that again because I couldn't "out do" it.
Dumb ass on me - I never took pictures. I left it all behind (fish included, tiger Oscars) when I sold that house.
I have thought of doing another big aquarium recently. Has to be cheaper than our train hobby. For the price of a DCC engine with sound, I could have an aquarium (a big one 55 or bigger) up and running by tonight. Populating it with cool fish (that get along) is another matter.

I'm still curious how a Mate from DU ends up in NY.
E.

Comcast remote, Roku remote, Bose radio. I remeber all those at my house but not the model and such. How did you get in, work on the model and get out with me or the dogs seeing you? Lol

Back