First train

2002p51

Okay, just for a little Christmas fun, this is me Christmas of 1958. I was 11 and got my first train.

xmas582-vi.jpg

xmas583-vi.jpg

Now it's your turn. Let's see what you got! Your first train, your first Christmas, your current "Christmas Train", whatever. Post 'em up!

Does this count as my first "train"? :D

Buy the time I received my first actual model train, an Athearn bb CB&Q SW9 or 1200, it should be on VHS somewhere in this house. But, God only knows where...

PICT0001.jpg

By the developed date on the slide, October '81, it puts me between 18 and 20 months, depending on how soon the the roll was developed from the actual picture being taken.

It is in Chillicothe, IL on the old ATSF transcon during the time of crew change stops.

There is another slide somewhere, more than likely the same day, of dad holding me right off the steps of a ATSF U30C, iirc from the last time I saw it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was about four when I got my first HO trains.

An Athearn Hustler (silver). I remember a B&M boxcar, Dupont tank car and not sure of the caboose.

Not bad since that was around 1963.

In 1964 (according to set books), I got my first Lionel set. Still have it, though it's just sitting in a box.

Okay, just for a little Christmas fun, this is me Christmas of 1958. I was 11 and got my first train.

xmas582-vi.jpg

xmas583-vi.jpg

Now it's your turn. Let's see what you got! Your first train, your first Christmas, your current "Christmas Train", whatever. Post 'em up!

Cool! Are the trains American Flyer?

My first layout and changes it to later that year.
While I was away for a short time, my mother decided to surprise me by wallpapering my room... and when I came back, to my surprise, my mother put train wallpaper up ... so uncool.. I was at the age where I started to fancy girls and now this. I didn't have the heart to tell my mother this just wasn't gonna help me with finding a girlfriend.

Your first picture shows how long the Atlas water tower and crossing tower have been around!

I had pictures of my first train set up but they're in albums at my parents house. I do however have my first engine:
pics222.jpg

I got it in 1978 at my 7th birthday party. It's an Alco 420 by Model Power and it stopped running about a year after I got it. The rest of the train (except for a hopper I repainted) is long gone but I'll keep this little gem for the memories

Your first picture shows how long the Atlas water tower and crossing tower have been around!

I had pictures of my first train set up but they're in albums at my parents house. I do however have my first engine:
pics222.jpg

I got it in 1978 at my 7th birthday party. It's an Alco 420 by Model Power and it stopped running about a year after I got it. The rest of the train (except for a hopper I repainted) is long gone but I'll keep this little gem for the memories

I think that first picture was taken in 1974.

I think the shark nose diesel I had was a Model Power.

I don't have a single picture of my first layout. It was made up of a hand-me-down American Flyer set that my dad had bought for my older sisters. He built a 13' x 8' L-shaped layout in the basement for them. Then my aunt gave me her Lionel trains and we added them to the layout. It wasn't much to look at. Trees were just pine cones spray-painted green, and bushes were sweetgum balls. The plywood layout board was painted green and brown, no grass or ballast. The layout was only a foot off the ground so I would walk around on it to get access.

Steve S

Back