First time weather, how did I do?

Davidfd85

So I was going through some other sites and found a contest for a weathered flatcar with load. I figured what the heck I've wanted to try weathering, have some Bragdon powders so this is what I did today. I took the trucks, wheels and couplers off and hit them with some Dulcoate then started working with the powders. At first I put the powder on then hit with more dulcoate but it seemed to wash it away so I just stuck with powder only, the package says it will stay in place without the dulcoate. I've got a couple of months to finish two cars and the loads not due until 1/13 so I can try other things if I need to but for now just let me have it and tell me what y'all think of my first time trying weathering.

I echo the above - looks great. Try to find a prototype pic of one of these flats and look at the detail around the tie-downs. An experienced modeler told me to always make sure to look at a picture because our recollection isn't as clear as a picture. You might be able to enhance what you have based on what you see.

It really looks great!

This image I found doing a google image search for "depressed center flatcar"
qttx130732-09-23-10-mt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that weathering powders leave a really dusty look, and a coat of thinned black (or even just something like dullcote) tones it down nicely. I apply mine with alcohol and thinned Elmer's glue.

My first attempt looked like it'd lost a fight with a swamp creature. Yours looks a whole lot better. :D

By Crikey sport! Looks bonza. Come and do mine now, I haven't gotten within cooee of them yet.

Back