first time layout

voodoo

hi all im new to the forum, just recently decided to dig out my old trains and build a new setup with my two sons, heres what im thinking about doing right now with a 12 X 8 L shaped table let me hear your input and suggestions since ive been out of the loop for so long, i havent done anything with my trains in a long time, majority of stuff is pretty old my dad picked this stuff up in the 80's i did however buy a new train a couple years ago but never really did anything with it till now. now nothing is set in stone yet just tossing some ideas around im leading towards a simple yet fun layout.

Layout005.jpg

voodoo, welcome to the forums. The first problem I can see is that if your layout is against the walls, you'd have to have extra long arms to reach back into that corner or to reach the back tracks if you have a derailment etc.

voodoo, welcome to the forums. The first problem I can see is that if your layout is against the walls, you'd have to have extra long arms to reach back into that corner or to reach the back tracks if you have a derailment etc.

yeah i thought about that so i was planning on leaving it away from the wall.

wheeler, i do plan on adding builds ect. just not sure if its gonna be industries, a city scene or a combo of the two

Welcome aboard, voodoo. Looks like a good start. I'm confused about those three tracks at the top. I know one is you inner loop but what is that short straight track that has the two cossovers? It really doesn't seem to seve any purpose. The mainline on the bottom right forms a huge "S" curve. I would try to straighten that out since "S" curves are always going to be a trouble spot for derailments.

Welcome aboard, voodoo. Looks like a good start. I'm confused about those three tracks at the top. I know one is you inner loop but what is that short straight track that has the two cossovers? It really doesn't seem to seve any purpose. The mainline on the bottom right forms a huge "S" curve. I would try to straighten that out since "S" curves are always going to be a trouble spot for derailments.

i do plan to work that S curve out when i go to lay the track, the third line im not real sure about, i probably wont leave that there like you said it really doesnt serve any purpose.

New layout

Voodoo, make a copy of each and every trackplan you come up with. I've a collection from many years back and it is sometimes worthwhile to review these 'history' files. This may be your first but it will not be your last and it is very interesting looking back on how a trackplan changed over the course of time. There have been things I've liked in each of my plans but haven't yet been able to incorporate all ideas into any single layout. Sometimes, something simply doesn't 'fit'. What fit into my N scale layout didn't fit into my HO layout or look good when fitted. Just an idea to keep in mind as the years go by. Happy RailRoading and a prosperous 2009.

Looks Good Voodoo and very simular to my layout. I have a 13x8 L-shape and its a foot and half off the wall. Just watch that S curve like UP2CSX said. My layout had that and had to work that S in to a long curve. I wish I had a scanner so I could show you my layout since ours is so close to being the same, but it was all done on paper. Welcome to the site. These guys here are extremely helpful. Enjoy.

thanks for everyones input so far, but i have to rework my layout, the original room in my house would have allowed me to room for this size of layout but im forced to move it into a smaller room.

Back