First N scale critique

So what do you guys think? This is a single train (for now) DC layout where I am able to run the train on every part of the track as long as I have the switches set properly. Is there something I may want to do differently? Everyone's comments suggestions would be greatly appreciated

dd5e346db35d1c33129e9a361a8dd6b0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It actually is fun I like the challenge of making sure the switches are set properly in order for the train to keep going and to avoid the derailment. I'm going to pick up a second engine tomorrow and see what happens. I'm guessing if I isolate them properly I can have them running both at the same time or one parked and one running. it's an 80x36 hollow core door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a layout that size you have 2 choices for independent control/running of 2 trains at the same time,

DC ; 2 controllers and a block system

DCC ; That's it.

Wouldn't I be able to just block off the inner loop with the switches and have one running and have another one running on the outside Loop? I do understand I would have no independent control

Is that a gumby and a blockhead watching your train set in the upper left corner?

I find it interesting just how much you can do with N in a 4x8 sheet. I am not experienced enough to really comment on the layout, but it seems like you have plenty of action and industry.

Can you reach those tracks in back (where the L is in Lowes) easily? If you keep it up against the wall, Murphy says that's where most derailments will happen.

If you can have it away from the wall, you might want to run a divider diagonally across the layout so the ovals aren't as obvious. (Upper left to center right in the pic.)

My main layout is HO, but I have a fair amount of N-scale and will probably build something similar to your plan on a hollow core door, just to keep my N-scale stuff from rotting in their boxes. :)

Looks like you are using Kato Uni-track here; if so, good choice. I don't think you'll have many problems with it, aside from at the crossover. I used Uni-track on my N Scale layout and am pretty happy with that choice. I have had some small problems with longer locomotives going around my inner loop. What radius is the curve on your inner loop?

At 36 inches, I think you'll be able to reach all around the table. Would be interesting to see an industry on the two back spurs, but you're rather pressed for space there.

Wouldn't I be able to just block off the inner loop with the switches and have one running and have another one running on the outside Loop? I do understand I would have no independent control

You would have to run power to each block from your controller, because when you have the turnouts positioned to keep each block separate (assuming you are using the track to route power), you would lose power to whichever block didn't have the power connection to the layout's track. Your power pack will need to be able to deliver enough amps to run more than 1 engine (most DC do, so shouldn't be a real problem)

Looks like a nice layout with lots of things happening. I would also recommend you thinking about a DCC System at some point, I think you would enjoy the layout a lot more.

Those turnouts in the back are going to be a headache.

Why do yu say that Lynn?

Those turnouts in the back are going to be a headache.

If you're thinking about derailments, my Uni-track switches have been pretty good about that. Only get the occasional derailment from them, and that's usually due to a low-hanging coupler catching the rail.
If you are thinking about manual switching, it looks like he has them wired up to the block of blue switches on the left of the photo. If they were manual, then they would be a pain, yes.

If you're thinking about derailments, my Uni-track switches have been pretty good about that. Only get the occasional derailment from them, and that's usually due to a low-hanging coupler catching the rail.
If you are thinking about manual switching, it looks like he has them wired up to the block of blue switches on the left of the photo. If they were manual, then they would be a pain, yes.

Being a pain is more an issue of keeping tabs of what turnout is in what direction then, more than the turnouts themselves and where they are located.

Sorry for getting of topic here, but I am considering a Kato Unit Track N Scale layout myself and trying to realise potential problems.

I enjoy the challenge of making sure each turn out is switched properly. I just added a second engine which made things more interesting. I just need to get a layout nailed down so I can begin working on scenery

Go DCC, you won't regret it.

I would move the last spur on the right closer to the edge so you can open up enough space to have an industry or station between the two tracks. If you haven't thought about buildings yet, start.

Looks like a nice layout with lots of things happening. I would also recommend you thinking about a DCC System at some point, I think you would enjoy the layout a lot more.

Why do yu say that Lynn?
Tony from my experience if the turnouts are centre of the reach of a 36x80 layout and there is a problem at the turnout you will be destroying scenery reaching into it. Then again if this is a moveable layout and or it is not left against the wall it may be a different story.

Thank you everyone for all your comments they have been very helpful now I just need to commit to something and move forward before I drive myself crazy

Back