First attempt at weathering a box car.

Rustolum

I just thought see what you guys thought of this, my first attempt at weathering a box car. Its not 100% done just yet. I still need to add some rust spots and do the wheel area. I didnt think to get pictures of it new before I started to work on it. But heres what it looked like new.
39933B_CSXT.jpg

heres the one im working on.
firstweathering.png

I was aiming for the beat up look. Whats anyones thoughts? To little? To much? Missing something? Any feed back would be fine.
Take note that for some reason. I cant a good picture of the thing. You cant really see all the little stock details. Like the the info thats normaly stamped next to the black stamp on the right side. its much more visable in real life.

Edit to add a close up on the roof.
weatherroof.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's decent, but too shiny. It looks more like someone spilled juice on it.

Dullcote it and maybe it will look better.

Yeah I agree its looks shinny in that picture. Thats from the flash. I dont really know how to use my wifes camra. lol. In hand theres no glossy spots.
Maybe after I add some rust spots. I can get a better pic.

It's way too splotchy. This is a good case for weathering chalks. I'll bet it would look a lot better with some light gray chalk spread down the sides of the car with your finger and some rust colored chalk spread on each side of the ribs. Put it on about twice as heavy as what looks right and then dullcote it. The dullcote will fade the chalks to look about right.

I haven't weathered any of my cars yet, but one thing that you might think of is that new cars don't get that dirty very fast. They've been out in the sun and elements for a while, so some of the paint is faded and streaked as the car gets dirty and rusty.

I'm sure it looks better than my first attempt!

Something that you might want to try, that I think would speak to a couple of the critiques you received above would be to get some of that CSX blue (preferably acrylic - Polly Scale or something comparable) & experiment with dry-brushing...I think this would make it less "splotchy", & more streaked...It should also alieviate any "shineyness"

btw...I think the roof looks GREAT!

Can you show another without the flash? just use room lights....also take a pic of the Pan AM car I would like to see it in full pic frame thx!

I agree with Jim, it is fairly splotchy. Splotchy is good, if you're modeling a paint peeler, bot not necessarily good if you're modeling a lightly rusty car.

The over cote should be shot with another layer of dullcote, it should not be shiny with the flash.

In any case, its a good weathering job, at least its not a botched weathering job! Keep it up!

I just tried to take get a few more shots of it and I still get that stupid flash burn. I put my finger of the flash on a light room and the camra just gives me a orange looking picture. I will try and take on out side in the morning. I dont know how to turn the dang flash off on this/her camra and mine other ones batterys are dead.
edit ot add these 2 pistures. Here my 2 PAN AMS with that unfinshed CSX.
DSC02030.png

DSC02029.png

If it's not too cold where you are, you can take the boxcar outside and photograph it in natural light.

Rust, that flash just kills being able to see how the weathering really looks. I agree about taking it outside and trying a photo there. I'm sure it will look a lot better iin natural light.

rustolum...

what did you use for this? did you use a wash or markers or what? and what kind of look are you going for? you said moderately beat up but are you working from a prototype picture or just kind of going with the flow here? i think you can make this a believable car as long as you keep in mind what you are aiming for.

to turn the flash off on your camera, there should be a button with a lightning bolt on it... push it until you see the lightning bolt on the screen with a slash through it... and if you want to get close up, turn the macro setting on... it should have an icon that looks like a flower...

jeremy

Jeremy In macro mode--what would be the closest you should be able to get before one ends up blurring out? Every time I take a pic of my layout I end up getting blurry pics---I'm assuming that I am doing something wrong here:confused:

Any ideas?:confused:

usually if i am taking pics of my models, once i get inside about a foot things start getting blurry... that may just be the camera i am using though... i know there are articles around for taking pics of your layout, etc... i would just have to find the link...

jeremy

Hey guys. I gave this box car back to its owner before I got a bettter picture of it out side. I got so wrapped up in the holidays, that I just forgot. But here's the best inside picture I had of it. You can see in this pic, no shine. But it wasnt 100% done in this picture.
4184547473_4d894201ae_b.jpg

Anyhow, I weathered another one for my self, took it out side for a picture and heres the end result. Thoughts anyone?
WPcleanside.jpg

rustolum...

what did you use for this? did you use a wash or markers or what? and what kind of look are you going for? you said moderately beat up but are you working from a prototype picture or just kind of going with the flow here? i think you can make this a believable car as long as you keep in mind what you are aiming for.

to turn the flash off on your camera, there should be a button with a lightning bolt on it... push it until you see the lightning bolt on the screen with a slash through it... and if you want to get close up, turn the macro setting on... it should have an icon that looks like a flower...

jeremy

The flash on her camra. I know that there has to be a setting on it to turn the darn flash off. But I can't find it. lol

For the weathering on both the CSX and this WP.
(Seeing as I was useing the factory base collors.) I did the following.

First for the CSX I used a litttle gumout / paint thinner on a paint brush to fade out a few spots on the factory paint job. Not something for first timers to weathering of any kind.

Second for both boxcars I wet washed with an acrylic paint that is very thinned out, tapped the box car lightly with my finger, so the paint stained water sets into the little corners and let it sit to dry.

Third did some dry brushing with Testers oil based model paint. (Acrylics will work fine.) I just like the oil enamel myself. Let it dry.

Fourth step was adding little a little rust / acrylics brown to the boor guides and the wheel houseings.

Last a light dry brushing a a balck silver mix over the wheel houseings.

Actual work time about a hour.

These are the first two trains I ever weathered. But not the first things / models I have weathered.
I have played around with alot of different stuff to do weathering with. For me its all about the dry brush.

The WP boxcar looks much better, and I'm sure the natural lighting really helps. The only change I would make is to paint the centers of the wheels a rust color, since they are too shiny now.

Rust, just use straight rust paint. Real wheels aren't allowed to be painted, so any cracks can be more easily seen. They are delivered right from the factory with the inner surfaces already rusty. The easiest way to do this is pop out each wheel and use a Flouquil rust paint pen. Just spin the axle by hand with the paint pen in the cener of the wheel and you're done.

Back