Finding cars lettered for private RRs on Ebay

I like cars lettered for Appalachian freelance RRs, but I'm having a tough time finding any for sale on E(vil)bay. What designator should I be using? I normally use the designator 'private RR' or 'private road'.

Wow. So basically you are looking for cars custom painted and lettered for peoples freelanced model railroads? You do realize about the only time you will ever see these is when someone is selling off parts or all of a collection? You might just need to consider painting and lettering your own.

I have cars from Allegheny Midland, V&O, West Virginia Northern, Sherrill's Grove and Southern, Pittsburgh Southern, Maryland & Allegany, Blue Ridge and Southern and several others. My own RR has it's own M&WV equipment as well, including RS-3s, GP-9s, a 4-6-0, an 0-6-0 and my prize...a doodlebug in Pullman Green with gold dulux lettering.

Since I model Appalachia, all of my PR cars are lettered for roads which would interchange with me if our RRs were prototype.

Ebay is a good place to find such things. I've just been having trouble finding any lately and wondered if there was some other designator I should be using to bring up what I want on Ebay.

where did you find the AM cars? I've been looking for those for a long time....

I dont have a urgent need for a ton of free-lanced cars, but I have Milwaukee Racine & Troy, V&O and G&D cars running about. All I'm missing is Utah Belt, and the AM...

where did you find the AM cars? I've been looking for those for a long time....

I dont have a urgent need for a ton of free-lanced cars, but I have Milwaukee Racine & Troy, V&O and G&D cars running about. All I'm missing is Utah Belt, and the AM...

There are two AM hoppers and a boxcar on E(vil)bay right now. I got mine from my former NMRA district and also back when TM was making the AM, V&O, Virginia Midland hoppers.

hmm... thought I had saved a search for AM stuff... Thanks for the heads up...

you should keep a look out for that one modeler who's on here. His railroad is the South Hoboken Industrial Terminal

Sorry thing about Ebay....You REALLY have to have some imagination to find stuff...I had something like FORTY categories to find things on ebay....because you not only have the "generic" listings....boxcars, flatcars, gondolas...but you also have road listings...GN, NP, SP&S...and then there's the manufacturers....Athearn, Bowser, etc...and btw, you will also find a totally dif listing when you look under BEVBEL...and then there's BEV BEL...WITH the spacing....so, when you are headhunting for some special in particular....let the stinking imagination run WILD...'cause when it comes to searching on ebay...there is no 'ceiling'....

Not only that, but some folks misspell the entry. I have my search for "Southern" exclude anything other than Southern or Norfolk Southern, but when people misspell Pacific (to Pacfic or Pafic), it comes up in my search. I guess that's one reason why this one guy can't seem to get rid of his Dash 9...no SP fan can find it.

Yea, that was awsome. I hope he chimes in here. He posted pictures of a hopper he had and if I recall, the decals were custom made.

here's a picture of some locomotives posted in the slugs and bugs thread:
638768070_w5Tzn-M.jpg

The hopper is even better, it has the company slogan on it.... I think it was "Next time, **** Lines."

someone out here also has a shop-rebuild similar to my F-60M. It's a U-boat on it's 2nd rebuild. An argument with a logging truck cost it it's cab, and there was an old F-unit lying around.... The resulting monster was designated an F-U2...

Back