Figuring grade..

Thanks that info helps. Let me clarify what Im trying to figure out. How much grade is too much over a 10 foot run? I need to know this for my layout. Thank you

I once had an HO layout that had close to a 4% grade. Layout was not that large and I did not run over 5-6 car trains to begin with. I also had a metal Varney F-3 with an O gauge motor which would pull just about anything placed behind it.

Makes sense Ken. I am kinda handcuffed in one area that I will just try to maintain no more than a 2% grade. Guess I will go more if I have to and limit the number of cars. Thanks for all the info guys.

The easy way I figure grade is an 8 ft piece of lumber is 96". Close to 100. A 1" rise in 8 ft is about 1%, a 1/2 rise in 4 ft is a 1% grade and 1/4" rise in 2 ft is a 1% grade.
You can use a 24" level to set your grade. Put a 1/4 drill under the low end of the level and adjust the grade so the level is level, you have set a roughly 1% grade. 3/8" will give you 1.5% and a 1/2" will give you 2%.

Goldnut.. If there happens to be a curve within the incline, it adds drag to the train causing train to behave as if climbing a steeper grade. The tighter the radius the more the drag. If your initial calculation is, say 2.5 %, the curve will make train behave as if it's a, say, 3% grade or more...On the other hand, if you only run short trains (loco/4-7 cars) this may not be a concern.. M

Goldnut.. If there happens to be a curve within the incline, it adds drag to the train causing train to behave as if climbing a steeper grade. The tighter the radius the more the drag. If your initial calculation is, say 2.5 %, the curve will make train behave as if it's a, say, 3% grade or more...On the other hand, if you only run short trains (loco/4-7 cars) this may not be a concern.. M
This is why I’ll be dealing with a 6% ish grade. Over 60” and a 13” radius going up 3” to give myself enough clearance over another track. The tight turn is definitely not helping me.

Back