Few more questions.

John26

Newbies
I been thinking and thinking how to make my layout different.

Other than coal and grain, what were some other resources being transported on the rails in the 1940's? I was thinking about trees/logging.

Was it common for one steam engine to haul freight, then haul passengers in the same day?

Automobiles, meat, fruit, silk, wool, textiles, typewriters, paper, newsprint, lubricants, (etc.)

Meat trains had priority over every other type of train, including the fast limited consists. Silk wasn't far behind.

It is conceivable that a 2-8-2 Mikado might have been pressed into the two forms of service in the same 12 hour period, or 24, but it would be unusual. Passenger trains, whether commuter or transcon, were meant to move quickly, and that feat was generally relegated to high-stepping passenger locomotives with large drivers, some with streamlining. In that respect, you would occasionally even see a Mountain Class 4-8-2 doing dual service in the same day, but again, it would not be done routinely. More likely would be the K-series Pacifics from road to road, or their variants, Northern-types of the 4-8-4 configuration, the 4-6-4 Hudson-type, and specialty locomotives like the Pennsy's Duplex T1 4-4-4-4. We shouldn't forget, though, that the UP used the Challenger class in both freight and passenger. And the NKP and other users of the Berkshire 2-8-4 would have used those engines in both cases as well. Whether they would have pressed a given engine into the other service within hours is entirely plausible, but more likely it would have fallen to a sister engine that had been idle for a period to have an inspection, cleaning, and servicing.

Oil was still a big revenue earner for railroads in the 40's so most trains had a lot of tanks cars. As Crandell said, meat and fruit were also two big items of commerce that were almost exclusively moved by rail. When I think of a typical 40's freight train, I think of mixed freight, mostly hauled in boxcars, some heavy equipment moved on flat cars, and oil and refined products in tanks cars. Add that to lots and lots of coal hoppers and you have a typical 40's freight train. Intersperse those mixed freights with solid block movements of reefers with meat and fruit, passenger trains that were really hauling mostly mail, and the occasional silk train, and you've pretty much got what most railroads were doing in the 40's.

Back