Feeling better I set up a test track.

JimT

I've had serious health problems, including three serious surgeries this year, mostly from early March on. Finally on the road to recovery I put together a 4x4 foot test track, with 18 inch radius curves, using 30 year old "junk" track.... lots of extra work. Lots of problems with old track but it's working OK.

I haven't used 18 inch radius sectional curves in nearly 50 years. Even "little" loco's steam and dismels overhang... My available extra room makes 22-24 inch radii necessary which makes me think. I'm going to find some 22 radii curves and make a new test track. Sectional seems harder to use than flex or hand laid (which I won't use due to time). I don't expect to get my wood work done until I feel much better probably a couple of months I'm sure, suggestions are welcome and needed. I have mostly new code 100 new track. Some sectional curves, lots of 18 inch long sectional straights and ten pieces of Atlas flex,in addition to lots of Atlas and Peco turouts I know I'll need more of all of these. Money/budget is a real factor but I'll make it work.

My room is 18x12 feet with two doors on one end that nearly touch one to the house one to the garage, and a sliding glass door opposite. I'm a "back woodsy" around the walls kinda guy that will need some kind of constant run capability. Money will keep me in the DC world as I have lots of paint, accessories etc from decades back. I love scenery and a homey feel, my days modeling the 50's U.P. are long behind me.

I'm blessed with another chance and I want to have lots of fun with my life long (started at 3 years old) hobby.

Glad to hear you are doing better. Without health, money in the bank means nothing! I find sectional track very useful in tight-radius curves (22-inches and tighter). For broader curves, flex track can be used, provided you guard against kinks. In my 13' 7" x 14' room I had to maintain access to two windows, and kept 3-foot aisles. This necessitated using 20-inch Shinohara sectional track in some places, especially on the return loop, and 18" and even 15" inside the main in spots. It has worked out very well, although it has limited the use of six-axle diesels, depending on the model and brand. Since I model the late 1940's to mid-50's (Burlington Route, NP and GN), four-axle cab and Jeep road switches are fine. (I do have an E-5, kitbashed from a Walthers Proto2000 E-6 and several E-7's). My largest steamers are 2-10-4's and 2-10-2, kitbashed from Mantua Mikados, and they run just fine, along with a 4-8-4 made from Mantua Pacifics.) With the room you have, you should have an easy time with bigger stuff.
Best Wishes,

JimT:

Good news that you are up and getting around! Second chances are meant to be taken advantage of-been there, done that and got the scar to show for it.

I second the idea on using what you already have. It's paid for, you have it and the equipment, so why not! It's what I've done and I don't regret it. The budget won't allow me to go after DCC and all that stuff anyway, so I'll stick to what I've got.

I have to agree with trailrider on track. As I've rebuilt the layout I was given, I stayed with sectional curves as much as possible. I was able to go to 22" radius in many places. I've found that flex track is great on broader curves but not as well on tighter ones. Measure three times, cut twice seems to be my end result when using flex track; a rough cut to get the general dimension and check for kinks and then a more precise cut for final adjustment. Your experience will undoubtedly be different.

I'm on a budget.. a tight one. I plan on two "era's" 1930 steam and 1937-1945 diesel. After having sold almost all my rolling stock in 2000 I had a little plastic left, a Kato and a can motored lighted AHM RS-2's and a couple of 44t little switchers. Before I was sick I was able to add a 70t desiel. I also picked up a couple of IHC Mogels and a 4-4-2 as well as a Bachmann Spec. 2-8-0 I like all of them. Somewhere I thought I had an AHM Heisler. Maybe I'll find it. I also have a few freight and passenger cars including a Rivarossi 20's Tail Car converted into a mobile industry (Portable Brothel) just for fun. I also have A pail of Troller Autopulse hand held controllers that I really enjoyed. Paint, details, lots of parts I still have plus a few structures built and new (1970's) kits.

I also began buying code 100 track in 2012 and have most of what I will be able to use. Oh.. and a couple of big boxes of Woodland Scenics tree kits and materials. I have nearly all the electric materials I'll need for D.C. as well.

My next big purchase.. Wood ! For my around the walls 18x12 foot layout, a few hundred for sure. I can't wait to get started.

My illness was intestinal, my colon had four holes caused by a long term (decade long) MRSA infection. For the first time I had a doc here in town recognize it and start cutting 45 minutes later. He was in there for 8 1/2 hours! I came in the ER entrance and left for the first time 3 weeks later. There were two additional surgeries over the summer but its seems to have ended pretty well. The trials seem to be over now I'm just healing now, hardly and bleeding anymore.

I hope all continues to go well and I plan on posting my progress and pictures here. Thanks for caring folks, it means a lot.

Jim, my best wishes to your speedy recovery. No doubt that a little bit of modeling will help. Besides the stress relief, and lack of physically strenuous activity, just being able to go to your own world where the real world doesn't matter will help.

I look forward to following your build. Young guys like me building my first real layout can learn a tin from guys with a lot of experience, which you seem to have.

Thanks for deciding to share the work here!

blklynman, you really hit it on the head. Past experiance has shown me that a model railroad is one's own world where we can have fun, build and tinker as time allows. Even the "stress" of finances is lessened with age and maturity. There are no downsides. I am so looking forward to having trains again.

Back