Favorite DCC sound decoder?

Just wanted to know what is your favorite dcc sound decoder for your diesel locomotives?

i want to equipped all my diesel locomotives with sound, (some have already decoder, some still analog)

anyway, what is your suggestion for the best decoder & realistic sound? is it esu, digitrax sfx, or.. which one? and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soundtraxx, Quantum, & ESU Loksound. Have best quality. Price wise I'd lean towards Soundtraxx's DSD-100LC's, or Digitrax's SFX decoders. I currently have Digitrax and Quantum, an AC4400CW (Kato) and a SD40-2 (BLI).

My favorite right now is QSI. But the bad news is, untill they actually start selling the "aftermarket" QSI Quantum Revolution, you have to buy a loco with it already installed. I have an idea that when they finally start selling them, I won't be looking much further.

I have a few Soundtraxx. The LC ones sound good, but the motor control leaves a little to be desired. I also have a DSX (sound only) installed with a TSC motor and function decoder. Sounds and runs great, but the two decoder setup is a large pain to program.

I have a Digitrax Soundbug installed on one of the newer replacement board decoders. The motor and function control is great, the sound is okay. Too quiet, no notching and a few other minor things that I'd like different. It's one that you can program sounds, but that costs another $80 or so.

Loksound seems to have a good reputation. I don't have one, but most folks that do seem to really like them.

Something to consider with sound decoders. Soundtrax, QSI and Digitrax soundbug use 8 ohm speakers. Lots of sizes and shapes to pick from that can make installation go a little easier. The other Digitrax sound decoders use 32 ohm speakers. Not much choice of size or shape. Loksound uses 100 ohm, they have a few to choose from, but not many.

Bottom line, as of now, I like QSI sound first, followed by Soundtraxx. If they'd ever come out with the DIESEL Tsunami they promised........... :mad:

Back