tuna006.jpg

tuna007.jpg

tuna008.jpg

tuna001.jpg

tuna010.jpg

tuna011.jpg

tuna012.jpg

tuna013.jpg

Fine catch of 'Toona there, Chip! That 3rd image from the top looks like a covered set of RIP tracks, it just cries out to be modeled.

Very nice shots indeed, Chip. Looks like there's a few guys late for their assignment running across the yard tracks with their grips towards the 6797. :) What's the deal with the NS painting the entire numberboard area white on those geeps? I don't think I've seen that before.

In the fourth shot there appears to be a wind sock on one of the poles. Do they always approach and depart the yard into the wind? :D

[quote user="Packers1"]Great pictures, I enjoyed them. Be honest, did they line those locos up side by side because you asked them to? Keep em comin.[/quote]

I had to give each of the jockeys an "I hate Foamers" tee shirt.

Actually, that took the whole time we were there. The tank train on the right was ready to depart when we arrived. The coal train had no engine and there were 5 helper engines on the right. You can just make them out on the right. Just as we arrived the 6797 pulled forward and the switchman got out and went into a build and emerged with ice and sodas.

tuna002.jpg

They then pulled underneath us, switched tracks pulled about 1/2 mile away from us and coupled up with the D9.

tuna015.jpg

In the meantime, a pair of helpers 3359 & 3378 came in after helping a coal drag with Horseshoe Curve.

tuna014.jpg

6797 Pulls back up and brakeman runs back into the building. He might have had to leave a deposit on the two 6-packs of sodas he got earlier.

tuna008.jpg

From front to back. A pair of geeps heads back to the barn after switching a cut. 9555 leads a cover hopper unit train and makes a crew change. Next comes 6797 to connect with the coal drag, the pair of switcher off the curve, and another pair of road engines hooked to a tanker unit train. They smoked the whole time we were there, but never moved.

tuna016.jpg

A covered hopper unit train arrived and changed crews. There was a lot of crew changes here. This train had a three man crew. There were two fit guys who hopped up into the cab and disappeared. The third man was a old slow round Andy Divine (Petticoat Junction) type that limp waddled back to the BNSF units and took notes off the sides or the engines. When he got back to third engine he climbed up and weaved his way through the cabs climbing up and down from engine to the next. It was painful to watch, but entertaining none-the-less.

tuna009.jpg

Kismet.

tuna011.jpg

I think the switchman in 6797 was born in a barn. From the time he emerged from the nose when we first arrived, he never closed that door. I think he's trying to heat all of Altoona. His father must be Rockerfeller. You know made of money. The kind that grows on trees.

Hey now Chip, he's just trying to air out the bathroom!

That las shot also shows how close the yard tracks really are.

Very nice shots indeed, Chip. Looks like there's a few guys late for their assignment running across the yard tracks with their grips towards the 6797. :) What's the deal with the NS painting the entire numberboard area white on those geeps? I don't think I've seen that before.

Jim, it's not only the Geeps having the white area painted around the numberboards. The SD's, and some of the GE units have it too now.

According to Micro-Scales decal sheet #87-1225, the NS started doing this in Dec 2002 on 5 units originally. And then all units as they came in for paint. Here's the first page of Railpictures.net, it has like 7 different ones on it.

http://www.railpictures.net/showpho...-2||Norfolk+Southern|-2|||15|-2|-2||||||1||1|

Jerome,

Love the link. I downloaded a lot of pictures to my screen saver.

Steve,

I really wanted to see that lil guy go, It fired up right as we had to leave to go to a ball game--which is why we were there in the first place.

Back