Fairly basic track wiring problem

I have recently built an up-and-over dogbone layout in HO with a combo of old (but good shape) code 100 track and some new track, using a new power pack as well. I followed an Atlas diagram to a 'T', and it's been working just fine for a few months. The track has been tacked down on roadbed the whole time, with ballast lightly spray-glued in place.

Two nights ago, after using several new DCC locos, and fumbling through the proper process of reversing directions for them, one section of track has apparently lost power. Two sections of track make up the 'under' dogbone, and the inside section is dead starting just after each switch that leads to it. This section consists of two new 3' sections of Atlas flex track, and a few smaller old but good condition sections. All locos operate properly on all other track sections, but stop after each switch on that section.

The wiring is secure, but perhaps there is a defect I can't see under the insulated covering. Aside from this potential cause, what else could be a reason? There are no differences in rail gaps from the past months (hardly any gaps at all). I made a few errors in learning how to reverse directions, so I caused a short several times, including at the switch leading to the now dead track section. Could a short have damaged the terminal wire which supplies the power to that section? I connected a new terminal wire to the main connector wire, but held the track connecting end very firmly against both rails to test it, rather than pulling up the whole section of track and connecting it normally. The track remained dead, but was that not a good enough test?

Thanks for any assistance or insight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you running blocks? Are you using feeder wires to the track sections in several places, or just relying on rail joiners for a connection?

Rail joiners don't make a perfect connection. Adding feeder wires makes a much more reliable connection.

I assume from what you posted you are running DC.

Run ONLY your loco slowly through the track with the problem. When it quits, push the loco down the track and see if it starts again. If so, both of the connections (rail joiners?) on each end of those sections of track are bad. Solder them, or add feeders.

Soldering rail joiners is a controversial subject. If you do it, I wouldn't solder all of them.

Feeders, on the other hand, are good to have.

Rotor

I started out soldering all of my rail joiners when I started this layout. After about 6 months I started having a ton of problems w/these connectors. The solder started corroding between the joiners & the gap in the rail & I lost contact in every joint that I had soldered. I had to take up about 300 ft. of track & redo it. I'll never do that again.
Now, I use rail joiners & solder the wire(drops) at each 3ft. section of track. I figure I have about 3 cases(100 per case)of Atlas & Model Power flex nailed down on my layout. That's a lot of drops.

I'm using rail joiners in some places and terminal track in others, but no feeder wires. There is a total of eight terminal sections supplying power. I was running DC at first, but switched to DCC two weeks ago. The DCC locos gave no hint of power anywhere on that section no matter what I did (starting two nights ago).

However, apparently the solution to my problem was to post on a forum and possibly waste other members' time. Of course, after I posted last night, first thing this morning I ran my old DC loco over that section and it was totally fine. Confused, I ran all the DCC locos over that section and it was totally fine.

Seriously though, I'm confused. So even though it's working now I suppose there still may be an issue I haven't figured out. Any ideas are still greatly appreciated.

My guess; You're relying on the turnouts to route the power - Sometimes they make a connection, others you get an open circuit and thence the dead section. May also vary depending on which way the T/O at "the other end" is set.

If true, the solution is to make sure you have feeders to each section - ie, on each side of the T/O.

Cheers,
Ian

I have had HUGE problems with power loss at turnouts. People insisted I must be using power routing turnouts, but they are NOT. Probably 30-50% of my turnouts develop intermittent connections.

I have not dissected a turnout yet, but my guess is the turnouts have pressure connections inside that go bad. If I remove them and flex them, they are good again for months.

The bad connections are most often between the rail that turns out, where it breaks at the frog, across to the straight direction exit rail.

What I do is jumper the rails at the turnout with #22 bare wire. I go between the divirging outer rail and the staaight rail on the exit side of the frog. This way the jumper is hidden and short and I do not have to cut wires to change or replace things. I'll try to put something up to show you if necessary.

Again, I've had MAJOR problems with losing connections in turnouts and they clearly are a problem in the turnout itself.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
So I was testing a new BLI T-1 today and getting frustrated as it shorted out while derailing AND staying on the tracks in some places. Eventually it stopped cold at the same point on my layout that I first described. I probably didn't explain this well enough (I'm getting back into the hobby with little knowledge or lingo), but this section does have a terminal joiner supplying power to it, but simply goes dead after a short occurs there or right before it.

Anyway, last week when I "solved" it, I ran my DC loco over it and then the DCCs worked fine. This time after it went dead, I ran the DCC loco and got nothing, ran the DC loco and it worked fine, and then ran the DCC locos again and they worked fine. So basically, after a short apparently kills this track section, running my DC loco seems to immediately bring it back to life so my DCCs can run on it again. Does this make sense or diagnose a problem for any of you vets? Thanks again for any input.

Back