Existing club looking for new members!

ST214

Hello.

If you are in the Worcester, MA area and looking for a HO scale club, feel free to check out Real Model Railroaders. We have recently had a change in top leadership, and are looking for new members to join us! All the info can be found at www.realmodelrailroaders.org!

I'm a little too far away to be a member but it does look like it could be a nice layout. May I respectfully suggest some updates to the website.........the newest date I noticed was over two years old with many being close to seven years old.

I'm a little too far away to be a member but it does look like it could be a nice layout. May I respectfully suggest some updates to the website.........the newest date I noticed was over two years old with many being close to seven years old.

Working in it. I have to shoot some photos and hand over the memory card to our webmaster, just have not had a chance to do it recently.

If you don't mind, how about a few more suggestions to the website;

A trackplan, preferably one that could be clicked on to make larger, as I know that a layout of this size will have "details" in the plan disappear having it as a photo that will just fit the page. Having it as a clickable image will allow closer inspection of the plan. In fact, having all the images clickable to a larger size would be helpful.

How about a copy of the club's application for membership. A prospective member who maybe moving in from another area, who's visited before, may want to have one to start filling it out, plus it will give him a list of requirements for membership.

It would help to know whether or not the club holds formal op sessions, when, time allotted, type of system used to operate with.

Do any of the members have their own layouts, and do any have websites of their own, and what are their web addresses.

I've seen almost all of these suggestions implemented on other club websites, including our own, http://wreckingcrew.railfan.net/ and I believe that these would greatly improve yours. If you look at ours, you'll see reference to a potential member making application to the club. All the application is a letter containing a reason they want to join, and proof of membership in the NMRA, ie. their membership card.

Please don't think that I'm criticizing, as I'm not. While I know that much of the site is still under construction, I know that just a little more information on the website, could provide the visitor with a desire to find out more about your club, and possibly become a member.

Good Luck on your membership drive!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mind, how about a few more suggestions to the website;

A trackplan, preferably one that could be clicked on to make larger, as I know that a layout of this size will have "details" in the plan disappear having it as a photo that will just fit the page. Having it as a clickable image will allow closer inspection of the plan. In fact, having all the images clickable to a larger size would be helpful.

How about a copy of the club's application for membership. A prospective member who maybe moving in from another area, who's visited before, may want to have one to start filling it out, plus it will give him a list of requirements for membership.

It would help to know whether or not the club holds formal op sessions, when, time allotted, type of system used to operate with.

Do any of the members have their own layouts, and do any have websites of their own, and what are their web addresses.

I've seen almost all of these suggestions implemented on other club websites, including our own, http://wreckingcrew.railfan.net/ and I believe that these would greatly improve yours. If you look at ours, you'll see reference to a potential member making application to the club. All the application is a letter containing a reason they want to join, and proof of membership in the NMRA, ie. their membership card.

Please don't think that I'm criticizing, as I'm not. While I know that much of the site is still under construction, I know that just a little more information on the website, could provide the visitor with a desire to find out more about your club, and possibly become a member.

Good Luck on your membership drive!

No problem. You have a lot of valid points. The site does need a lot of work. We got online a few years ago and that's about as far as we got due to some issues within leadership. I doubt the site will be a immediate priority, but eventually it will get some work.

I would add a big suggestion to your todo list, even though you noted your website needs work.

There is no reason to have blurry pictures on your site of your model railroad. If you are a member, you should have access to take quality pictures at your leisure. It is off putting to potential members to see pictures from 2009 that are blurry. You are trying to sell your club to new members, so treat the site like a store. It needs to be nice, neat and clean, with clear views of the product.

Just my $0.02. The club local to me has the same sort of issue... so you are not an isolated event, but still. I would work on fixing the site up and also getting a different template/layout for it. It looks very dated.

No problem. You have a lot of valid points. The site does need a lot of work. We got online a few years ago and that's about as far as we got due to some issues within leadership. I doubt the site will be a immediate priority, but eventually it will get some work.

Back