European rail. our experience

tankist

repost. some might have seen this on the other board

Even without visit Miniatur Wunderland we had quite an exciting trip. 4 cities in 6 days, all rail aside one ferry crossing. the other ferry crossing is still rail since we boarded the ship by rolling into it on the train. Traveling across the pond with budget carried made sure we were late and had even less time for our trip. luckily we didn't miss any connections.

We landed in Gatwick, which is the less busy airport on the southern outskirts of London. sleeping the jet lag off a bit we woke up very early in the morning and went down to the station. let me tell you, Brits have very strange system of family discount for train travel - "4 for 2" . it still comes out to hefty 12 Pounds each one way.

down on the platform a neat DMU was standing

DSC_9873-vi.jpg

Alas our express train to London Victoria station was this ugly thing

DSC_9874-vi.jpg

but regardless it turned out to be very fast and very comfy inside. We also enjoyed the coffee and some bakery items sold on board.quite a thing that early in the morning

DSC_9883-vi.jpg

passing by some other equipment

DSC_9931-vi.jpg

we arrived at Victoria station

DSC_9938-vi.jpg

DSC_9941-vi.jpg

rest of the pictures:
Gatweek to London Album

London to Harwich

Per our friend who lives in deep London suburbia, the rail workers union decided weekends are optional and employees can not be required to work at those days. this caused quite an interesting thing - the express train London-Harwich was canceled and instead the jammed us together with another canceled train into your ordinary slow going, stopping everywhere commuter and we needed to change trains! this was a bummer, and a quite crowded one.

as consolation the friend (who we spent the day with) offered me to be happy that they are not on strike altogether. he also pointed me to the underground train ("Tube") timetable - "see these blue rectangles? yeah, those are all canceled lines. if you were planning to use these to get home you are SOL". there were about 5 of these , ouch.

i was to bummed to shoot the first one, and it was to crowded to do so anyways. then we kinda calmed down. here is the device that was pulling us

DSC_0112-vi.jpg

for part two we caught a ride on this East Anglia train

DSC_0110-vi.jpg

and i guess the gods of railroading decided to compensate us (or at least me :) ) for the inconvenience - the door to inactive driver cabin at the end of the train was left open!

DSC_0115-vi.jpg

DSC_0116-vi.jpg

with sun setting down we reached Harwich international, where we were to board the ferry "Hollandica" that would take us across the English channel.
if anyone cares this is world biggest superferry, with only 2 built. the other one is it's sister "Britanica" that serves same route but from the opposing end

DSC_0121-vi.jpg

rest of the pictures:
London to Harwich album

cRotterdam to Amsterdam was another surprise. for starters the lady in the information gave us wrong information. after waiting pointlessly at empty platform i asked around (luckily English is widely known in Holland) and recieved a better answer . while the luggage wasn't that heavy running up and down the bridge was annoying.

DSC_0166-vi.jpg

Thalys bullet train. well, it left without us

DSC_0165-vi.jpg

And no Fyra either :( we got this SNCB class E168 ( Belgian) puling your everyday coaches. i guess i should have waited before getting all excited.

DSC_0167-vi.jpg

but then again inside was very clean and the trip was very fast. although it is somewhat strange that half of the car is sitting with their backs to the direction of travel

DSC_0190-vi.jpg

our engine driver. he actually didn't mind being photographed.

DSC_0217-vi.jpg

BTW the view outside was gorgeous (not that i did a great job capturing it) and i caught some dutch equipment as well. check out the rest of the album if interested

DSC_0169-vi.jpg

Amsterdam to Hamburg we did on board City Night Liner train of DB (Deutsche Bahn, ze germans!). leaving the station at 7PM and arriving to our destination at 4AM. for the change information about platform was correct but confusing as hek - they listed destination as Berlin, Prague, Moscow. we didn't want to go to Moscow! But conductor confirmed it is the right train, which going to be split up in 3 and connected to another one later down the road. we were promised free wireless internet on board but that was not available. and the restaurant wagon i intended for us to have dinner at, was not to be coupled until the stop at 1AM! that was a bummer as we didn't grab any sandwiches :(

we traveled in 3 bed coupe. bit more expensive, but girls got some privacy. there was even shower at the end of the car. with middle berth folded. the lower one actually fols as well to form a nice couch to sit during the day

DSC_0300-vi.jpg

DSC_0301-vi.jpg

passed by some other Dutch equipment

DSC_0334-vi.jpg

and some strange pieces

DSC_0336-vi.jpg

initially we were pulled by Dutch NS class 1700 locomotive. they actually give them names, ours was #1736 - "Gilze en Rijen". but that was disconnected after hour or so.

DSC_0359-vi.jpg

as i was taking this picture the conductor screamed "Keine Fotografieren!!" like if it was bloody murder. i wanted to reply "Entschuldigung, Ich shprache Deutsche nicht. Ih been Fotografiren dich, JA , JA!!!" but there were bunch of Polizei walking on the platform so i decided to not piss him off any further.

DSC_0360-vi.jpg

repalcement was this DB Class 120. not bullet train, but then we had all night to get to our destination. well , some of the night at least.

DSC_0363-vi.jpg

4AM in Hamburg. at least they gave us some DB coffee and some DB breakfast boxes

DSC_0378-vi.jpg

Hamburg to Copenhagen.

before leaving we took a boat tour of the city and harbor. while not really railroad related it might be of interest to some. after all it is not everyday that you get to see one of those huge container ships or a tug being maintained in floating dry-dock. and of course all roads lead to Rome :)
if interested - Album URL

Hamburg Hauptbahnhof central.
DSC_0754-vi.jpg

this time our ride was a real white and red ICE train :D .the diesel flavor of it, but still an ICE :)
we really didn't leave much time in reserve, fortunately nothing unforeseen happened, we boarded our train with several minutes to spare. so no pictures from outside until the end of our ~4.5 hour ride.
ride was smooth and inside was neatest of them all :)

DSC_0757-vi.jpg

more over , our assigned seat was in the middle where they have a table, which made our sandwich dinner really nice :)

DSC_0766-vi.jpg

we passed some interesting infrastructure

DSC_0787-vi.jpg

when you flying perhaps, but not your typical view out of the window of a train
DSC_0782-vi.jpg

what came as a surprise is that portion of the trip was to be done on board of another Ferry :) weee, two in one!
or train slowly rolled into the ship at Puttgarden (Germany).

DSC_0795-vi.jpg

for safety reason we disembarked the train.

DSC_0796-vi.jpg

inside we found couple restaurants and duty free shops.

the ship sailed. the nose slowly lowered.
DSC_0802-vi.jpg

as we were sailing, we met another ferry just like ours. personally this symmetry looks bad but i guess this way it is very functional.

DSC_0807-vi.jpg

welcome to Denmark

DSC_0820-vi.jpg

no, even though aerodynamically shaped, ICE trains don't convert into planes to fly over the water. but it certainly looks like it!
crossing the Storstrøm Bridge

DSC_0828-vi.jpg

it was getting quite dark when we arrived at our destination , so the pic is so so.

DSC_0858-vi.jpg

people the must like their model trains a lot. a layout you can throw a coin into and see trian run. well we had no coins, and it was inoperative anyways. but still a cool thing to see :)

DSC_0860-vi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, we had a thought of visiting Malmö, just a short drive from Copenhagen , but decided that it would be way overboard

Anton, great pics and story of your European vacation!! Passenger traffic in Europe looks awesome, like it's the only way to travel. Too bad ours is not even close to this.

But we got Amtrak!!! LOL :eek:

Spent some time in Germany a few years back. Rode the S-bahn and U-bahn. Great system. The trains were always on time. Clean. Comfortable. Cheap. Wish we had that here. I'd get rid of two of my three cars.

while our Chicago metra is quite clean, air conditioned and mostly on time, what really got me is the quality of the ride over there. they use mostly nice EMUs and DMUs for suburban and intercity traffic, but even ordinary passenger cars seemed to be air cushioned. so the ride was noticeably smoother and quieter than the commuter i take every day over here. and it is definetly worlds quieter then our ground shaking chicagoan EL train, lol.

plus perhaps they maintain their track better, which i guess might be easier task since they don't have our huge Canadian national cargo trains with 3-6MU'ed locos running on same tracks.

as far as being on time, well, Brits and Danish didn't strike me as over reliable or punctual either. both canceled trains we were supposed to take , with the latter not providing any alternative (and having electronic timetable boards not functioning). we probably should have waited some more, but at 11PM after very long day we just wanted to get to our hotel (ladies insisted on taking taxi). so i guess we are not that much behind here. apart of the earth shaking L that is, lol

Re "...a layout you can throw a coin into and see train run"

What a great idea. Now, when I have an open house, I can make my %@#$! layout partially pay for itself.

Back