Engine sheds

zoegraf

Craftsman at heart
I've been looking at some laser kits of engine sheds on the net and noticed most of them are 9" long. Would this accommodate a 2-8-0 or were they meant for much smaller engines?

I've been looking at some laser kits of engine sheds on the net and noticed most of them are 9" long. Would this accommodate a 2-8-0 or were they meant for much smaller engines?

Off the top of my head, 9" scales out at about 76 HO feet (+ or -). Many HO 2-8-0s, (and 4-6-0s, 4-4-2s), are surprisingly small engines, so if the tender isn't out of proportion, a 9' long shed should fit.

Keep in mind that "sheds", like round house stalls were used to make repairs and adjustments to the locomotives. When waiting between runs, it was common to store them on "outside" steaming stacks, rather than inside. Since steam locos were "always" under steam, there was little danger associated with freezing temperatures.

Joe

I just measured my Sunset ATSF 0-8-0 and it is exactly 9 inches coupler to coupler. A consolidation might be a tad longer due to having pilot wheels and also depending on the type of tender as Joe points out. I also have a brass NYC J3a Hudson and it measures just about 12 inches end to end. A shed might not need to be as long as the entire combo but only long enough to accomodate the engine and not necessarily the tender too depending on which end of things needed some work.

On the same idea I picked up a Walthers Union Crane & Shovel bldg over the weekend with the idea of using it as a branch line engine service shed. I haven't opened it yet but other than maybe having to cut in a larger door it should work for me.

Off the top of my head, 9" scales out at about 76 HO feet (+ or -). Many HO 2-8-0s, (and 4-6-0s, 4-4-2s), are surprisingly small engines, so if the tender isn't out of proportion, a 9' long shed should fit.

Keep in mind that "sheds", like round house stalls were used to make repairs and adjustments to the locomotives. When waiting between runs, it was common to store them on "outside" steaming stacks, rather than inside. Since steam locos were "always" under steam, there was little danger associated with freezing temperatures.

Joe

Very informative, thank you.

This is my shortest loco aside from my 0-8-0 switcher. I don't know how long it is because it is in storage.

I just measured my Sunset ATSF 0-8-0 and it is exactly 9 inches coupler to coupler. A consolidation might be a tad longer due to having pilot wheels and also depending on the type of tender as Joe points out. I also have a brass NYC J3a Hudson and it measures just about 12 inches end to end. A shed might not need to be as long as the entire combo but only long enough to accomodate the engine and not necessarily the tender too depending on which end of things needed some work.

On the same idea I picked up a Walthers Union Crane & Shovel bldg over the weekend with the idea of using it as a branch line engine service shed. I haven't opened it yet but other than maybe having to cut in a larger door it should work for me.

Good to know. Now I have to find a nice laser kit.

Zoe, I forgot to mention the Union Crane & Shovel kit measures 9 inches long according to the box info. It certainly won't completely swallow most of my 6 axle road diesels. An enclosed engine shed of any length was a luxury on some roads. Many of them had what amounted to a simple roof with no walls similar to a car port with a storage shed for tools and lubes at some of their branches. So length doesn't worry me. As the old saying goes: There is a prototype for everything.

Zoe, I forgot to mention the Union Crane & Shovel kit measures 9 inches long according to the box info. It certainly won't completely swallow most of my 6 axle road diesels. An enclosed engine shed of any length was a luxury on some roads. Many of them had what amounted to a simple roof with no walls similar to a car port with a storage shed for tools and lubes at some of their branches. So length doesn't worry me. As the old saying goes: There is a prototype for everything.

I think I'll go with an engine shed to add interest to the module and the fact the area I'm modelling had large dumps of snow in the winter and average 20C below zero temps.

I might consider kit bashing an existing laser kit of an engine shed. I think I'll put the engine shed temporarily where the future TT will be; I still haven't decided on a CMR or Diamond Scale TT.

Perhaps too far. But who is to say? Make a cardstock engine shed and place it where you think it should belong, and go from there. I have a structure that I moved six times before I settled on the "right" spot.

The Reading Company had a three bay rectangular concrete enginehouse at their Darby Creek facility. Fueling facilities were to the South of the structure, while there was a turntable (90'?) North of the structure. While there might have been an additional track around the outside of the building to access the TT at one time, there wasn't in 1977.

Point is that these structures were built to serve a need, and were built where they fit in the overall surroundings. If the other structures you are planning don't allow for your shed close in...........

In addition to being correct and appropriate for your layout, it has to look right - that is blend into the scene - after all, there are limitations to downsizing from full size.

Joe

Perhaps too far. But who is to say? Make a cardstock engine shed and place it where you think it should belong, and go from there. I have a structure that I moved six times before I settled on the "right" spot.

The Reading Company had a three bay rectangular concrete enginehouse at their Darby Creek facility. Fueling facilities were to the South of the structure, while there was a turntable (90'?) North of the structure. While there might have been an additional track around the outside of the building to access the TT at one time, there wasn't in 1977.

Point is that these structures were built to serve a need, and were built where they fit in the overall surroundings. If the other structures you are planning don't allow for your shed close in...........

In addition to being correct and appropriate for your layout, it has to look right - that is blend into the scene - after all, there are limitations to downsizing from full size.

Joe

It is certainly a challenge to compress on a layout especially a module in order to make it look right. I already had to shorten the distance between my freight shed and depot from 100 to 85 ft.

I think the distance between the turntable and engine shed should at least be a little longer than the largest loco the TT can handle; this way I have the option of having the loco serviced outside of the shed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is certainly a challenge to compress on a layout especially a module in order to make it look right. I already had to shorten the distance between my freight shed and depot from 100 to 85 ft.

I think the distance between the turntable and engine shed should at least be a little longer than the largest loco the TT can handle; this way I have the option of having the loco serviced outside of the shed.

Assuming your TT is 90 ft, the shed could be located 110+ ft from the TT to allow clearance, and still hold the largest engine outside the shed. Again, final appearance of the shed and track in relation to the rest of the module will be the final determination. If it doesn't look right to you, simply it's not right. You may wish to shorten this space more, when it is in place.

I have a scale 76' (9") TT tucked into a corner of a module (Atlas - only one that fits the space.) I managed to compress two tracks leading to the TT, a cabin car track and a track for a sand hopper into this same area. It looks OK, but other than turn and store a couple of RS1s and S2s it is limited. Right now I'm not sure if it will remain, or whether something else will go there. This section (two 2'x6' modules) is a work in progress.

The challenge you referred to, is part of the "fun" factor that makes this hobby compelling.

Joe

Assuming your TT is 90 ft, the shed could be located 110+ ft from the TT to allow clearance, and still hold the largest engine outside the shed. Again, final appearance of the shed and track in relation to the rest of the module will be the final determination. If it doesn't look right to you, simply it's not right. You may wish to shorten this space more, when it is in place.

I have a scale 76' (9") TT tucked into a corner of a module (Atlas - only one that fits the space.) I managed to compress two tracks leading to the TT, a cabin car track and a track for a sand hopper into this same area. It looks OK, but other than turn and store a couple of RS1s and S2s it is limited. Right now I'm not sure if it will remain, or whether something else will go there. This section (two 2'x6' modules) is a work in progress.

The challenge you referred to, is part of the "fun" factor that makes this hobby compelling.

Joe

I agree.

Here is my track plan. I've actually started drawing on the base and later on foam. I really like your suggestion of making cardboard shapes of the foundations of the structure to see how it works.

The team track in the future can be converted/extended to a (longer) runaround track. And the lead above it, into a continuing mainline.

Module B would become obsolete in the future because curves would be involved on new modules at each side of module A. For now it will be like a staging area.

Module B could possibly be incorporated into the future layout on the other side of the room and the branch line on it could be converted into a siding. Or I could just keep it as a diorama.

I'm doing the same thing for a Saw Mill project. I built the engine House & want 2 maybe 3 tracks to it. I want an outside track along side the Engine House. Just as Joe mentioned a lot of repairs were done outside. In my case one reason most repairs inside were the lengthy ones waiting or building repair parts. This kept the inside bay unavailable. Could you bring your middle track around to the side of the Engine House or is there a reason it stops short of. I scratch built my whole Mill area & it has been a headache I created myself to include so many things. :confused:

I agree.

Here is my track plan. I've actually started drawing on the base and later on foam. I really like your suggestion of making cardboard shapes of the foundations of the structure to see how it works.

The team track in the future can be converted/extended to a (longer) runaround track. And the lead above it, into a continuing mainline.

Module B would become obsolete in the future because curves would be involved on new modules at each side of module A. For now it will be like a staging area.

Module B could possibly be incorporated into the future layout on the other side of the room and the branch line on it could be converted into a siding. Or I could just keep it as a diorama.

I like the idea of adding module B to the other side of the layout, once you get that far. The branchline could be converted into an interchange, or industrial lead. You will find all sorts of uses that you haven't considered yet.

I was never one to accept the concept of staging, until my current layout began to evolve. The reality is that my "Terminal" module, not only serves as a small yard, but staging for road trains that I initially didn't anticipate running. Now, I'm wracking my brain to figure a way to extend my branchline terminal, to a staging area so as to have something for my road train to bring back.

Part of the success of a layout is the transition of it from a concept to a plausible operating railroad - that is having a reason for the railroad to be there - it's what makes a "model railroad" different from a "Christmas display layout" aka "Christmas Garden". But again, it has to "fit" right and look right. in order to work.

Joe

I'm doing the same thing for a Saw Mill project. I built the engine House & want 2 maybe 3 tracks to it. I want an outside track along side the Engine House. Just as Joe mentioned a lot of repairs were done outside. In my case one reason most repairs inside were the lengthy ones waiting or building repair parts. This kept the inside bay unavailable. Could you bring your middle track around to the side of the Engine House or is there a reason it stops short of. I scratch built my whole Mill area & it has been a headache I created myself to include so many things. :confused:

Good to know a lot of repairs were done outside.

The middle track is for parking and servicing the locale's doodle bug. My track plan is so small it can handle only a doodle bug or coach and baggage car.

I tried to draw the track on the base around the side of the engine shed, but part of the track next the shed would have a slight curve to it. Would that be OK?

I like the idea of adding module B to the other side of the layout, once you get that far. The branchline could be converted into an interchange, or industrial lead. You will find all sorts of uses that you haven't considered yet.

I was never one to accept the concept of staging, until my current layout began to evolve. The reality is that my "Terminal" module, not only serves as a small yard, but staging for road trains that I initially didn't anticipate running. Now, I'm wracking my brain to figure a way to extend my branchline terminal, to a staging area so as to have something for my road train to bring back.

Part of the success of a layout is the transition of it from a concept to a plausible operating railroad - that is having a reason for the railroad to be there - it's what makes a "model railroad" different from a "Christmas display layout" aka "Christmas Garden". But again, it has to "fit" right and look right. in order to work.

Joe

Do you have any pics to share of your branch line terminal or a link to it?

I'm getting frustrated with having such limited space and at the same time trying to design something to fit into a future layout that will probably only go into a small second bedroom. I miss my old layout, which had a nice long runaround.

I came up with this alternate plan, which is a temporary branch line terminus. (Top module would attach to the left of the bottom module. If a train backs up into this locale from the left, (I think a train going backwards down a branch line is prototypical) it can bring in a 8-car train and leave with an 8-car train. If the train comes in forward in from the left, it can only bring in a 3 car train, but can leave with a 7 car train after the loco is turned around.
I did this version because I wanted some room between the team track and the depot that you can see on the lover right. In front and left of the depot can be an area where a small passenger train can unload. What is really limiting me is the length of the runaround and the size of my module. Still not a bad switching layout considering I have no. 8 turnouts for my steamers. If I ever manage to get a larger room than 12 by 12, I can always add a turnout and extend the runaround just above the mainline track above the depot.

Back