Emdx Gp60 #5 & #7

Yes it is and I finally got my hands on some. I also bought on e-bay 4 pairs of GP60 cabs....got that many for some oops and practice runs. They were cheap 2 bucks a pair. Any how I will be getting them in a few days and my venture will finally begin on the scratched/modified built cabs. As Josh told me...to go slow...no hurry here. I hope I can succeed in getting that same look on have the face of the cab flush with the number boards and angled right. I think there will be a number of trial runs. So be it. If I screw it up it will make good for scap loads on a flat car... :) I got my other supplies (beacons, AC, LEDs etc...) too.... even decoders for the units. As soon as the cabs arrive I will start posting pics and the progress.

Alco out...

Alco, Sounds like you've got everything ready to go on your project. I've just bought Athearn EMD #5 and #7 (still looking for #6). So I'm very interested in how you do everything, keep us posted.

Here's the progress on my 20 GP-60's for my fleet. The first 8 are just about ready for final assembly.

100_1454.jpg

100_1456.jpg

Alco, Sounds like you've got everything ready to go on your project. I've just bought Athearn EMD #5 and #7 (still looking for #6). So I'm very interested in how you do everything, keep us posted.

Here's the progress on my 20 GP-60's for my fleet. The first 8 are just about ready for final assembly.

Thats amazing Jerome! I like your paint scheme. Is your railroad going to have other types of units or just GP60's?

Todd Templeton

Todd, it'll have a few others types, but mainly GP-60's, GP-60M's and GP-60B's. We've been buying out everyone's GP-60's :) I have 2 EMD demo units, 1 Southern, 1 NS, 1 SF, 1 Cotton Belt, 1 Rio Grande and 1 SP. The more 60's the better!!! LOL

I got my cabs in today...all 8 of them...time for the first trial run...this is a stock photo of what I am starting with. I will post pics of my cut and weld and patch work when i get going on it....

Just so you know I will be moving the front window frames and doors to angle out to match the same plane as the light number boards above like the prototype...then notice round edges too...

View attachment 8420

View attachment 8421

Alco,

Any progress to report on your cabs?? I just got #7s handrails painted tonight, but I'm not going to do anymore work on them until I see your models.

Jerome~
I have not started yet. I have been busy with my other new toy...I have gotten a few accessories for my Digitrax system. The DT400R! I have been learnin the ins and outs of it.

I will get back into the project after the train show coming up in 2 weeks. I will be looking for some scrap and detail parts etc.

Soon enough though i will have something...

Alco out!

Well I have started cutting finally... I started cutting one Athearn shell cab. I cut the face off now I will start the rebuild aftr I modify the corners.

I have been doing some research and found some excellent models to go by. In fact I think that this gentleman hit this one right on...

see for yourself...I found his work on a website for Western Prototype Modelers. All work done by Tom Gries's GP60 EMD#5 Demo (owned by John Goddard) kitbashed from the Athearn unit! Dig that modified nose and cab!

View attachment 9379

View attachment 9380

View attachment 9381

View attachment 9382

Alcomotive,

Can we see some pictures of the cab progress?? I recently purchased another unit #5. I plan to renumber it to #6.

Back