Emd3 sd60

bnsfjason

Maintenance in the way
Does anyone have one of this? an EMD SD60 #3, I wanna know how does it run, is it noisy, should I change the motor and install a better can motor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Athearns SD60's are very good performers, I was just running some SOO's yesterday and albeit, some noise, but that was because of conflict between the 2 SD60's and a rebuilt Blue Box SD40-2. Its totally worth getting an SD60, they look good, run good, and can pull a HO scale 59 car unit grain train :D.

You mean an Athearn SD-60 or SD-40? The Athearn SD40-2 that will soon be out in the RTR version should be a nice engine and comparable to the SD-60 RTR version. The basic mechanism will be the same, as will the level of detail, it will just be a different frame. The older blue box SD-40 is not equal in detail or pulling power to the newer RTR models.

Proto 2000 also makes an SD60. It is a very nice model as well. Runs and pulls great and has lots of detail. I like the Proto better then the Athearn, but would recommend either one.

I've got two P2K SD60's and one SD60M. Great units.

There was a time early this year when ebay was flooded with them. I bought all three for $100.

The P2K Sd50/60 units are great runners, got a few of em myself. But I don't think P2K put out the SD60 EMD #3 unit though.
That proto unit was the only one built with the HTSC bolsterless trucks (later used on SD70/80 mac/90mac's, and all current designs) and retained by EMD for testing purposes. Currently it is leased to BNSF to replace the EMDX 9041 Oakway unit.:cool:

Searched on ebay for the EMD 3 and found and bought me one for $45.00 NIB! As a side note, anyone else noticed alot of good deals on ebay right now with the economy being down? I guess wives aern't letting hubby spend as much on trains right now.

As a side note, anyone else noticed alot of good deals on ebay right now with the economy being down? I guess wives aern't letting hubby spend as much on trains right now.

I wish. I've lost a half dozen auctions for Athearn Maxi I's.:(

Back