EMD GP40 3000 and 3200 gal. fuel tanks ?

I'm starting a St-Lawrence and Atlantic GP40 locomotive project and according to a picture of the real locomotive, the fuel tank is not the usual 2600 or 3600 gal found on the GP40.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=31815&nseq=1

Its a little bit shorter than a 3600 gal. but longer than a 2600 gal.

Could it be 3000 or 3200 gal. ??? I'm searching for the length of these two fuel tanks to see which one will be more accurate.

Thanks

The PNWR has a few of their engines now. I'll see if i can find out what size tanks they have.

What engine manufacturer are you going to use? Athearn, Atlas,??? This is an Athearn blue box GP40-2 I did earlier this year very similar to you 3205 unit.

100_4630.jpg

You have a very nice model Jerome.

I will built mine from an Atlas #8900 undecorated GP40. I'm running a DC layout so I bought the Atlas model to get a smooth running loco that I plan to use as main power in multiple dummy setup.

It will also be easier to shorten the fuel tank since Atlas use plastic insert for their tanks and no need to buy separate Blomberg B trucks sideframes.

I would like to build an RM-1 Road Slug and GP40-3 Mate in the futur.

Your cab mounted bell look perfect, is this a scratchbuilt part ?

I talked to a friend of mine who works for the PNWR a few minutes ago about the engines. He says they should have 3200 gal tanks on them.

Back