Electrical Newb wiring help

adurbin

Hello all, as some of you know I am a complete and total newb. Im starting on my layout this weekend and need to get some help on the wiring (wont happen for another month or so, but I need to know what im getting into). The layout that Im going to build is the third one down in the link below. Im going to modify just a little and have a staging yard running on the main line on the right (east) upper turn. the top (north) section of the layout will be against the wall. Assuming that I plan on running one lane into four staging lanes, and plan to eventually run two trains (DC), what would be the best way to wire this. Can I run two controllers (one for the main layout, one for the staging yard) and just install a plastic rail joiner between the main line and the turnout for the staging yard, or will i need to isolate each staging lane with switches. What kind of controllers do you recommend that can be had on the cheap, and will be easy enough for a newb to wire (im a dummy when it comes to electrical). Also, on the main layout, will it be necessary to run feeders, or can I run terminal track sections on both the north and south sides?

Heres the link...third track plan down:

http://www.modeltrainguide.com/index.php?mode=displayarticle&section=3&article=3

Power routing switches would be the simple way to go for staging, otherwise just a toggle switch in line with the common rail.
Have you checked out any books or websites?
There are some great threads here if you dig for them.

I'm kind of wondering why plan 3. To me plans 4 and 5 are much more interesting ( with 5 being the more preferred) and could be expanded for a larger layout.
I agree with Rico on the power routing or toggle switches.
Cheers
Willis

I'm kind of wondering why plan 3. To me plans 4 and 5 are much more interesting ( with 5 being the more preferred) and could be expanded for a larger layout.
Cheers
Willis
Probably because it's easier to build.

I suggest you grab (if it's still available) the Kalmbach "How to Wire your Model Railroad" book. It's pretty basic, but addresses the situation you're describing :block control. Essentially you'll be powering any section of track (block) with one of two controllers. It's pretty simple once you get the basic idea of what you are trying to accomplish. It involves the use of toggle switches, 2 power packs, and dividing your layout into separate, independent blocks.
I'm sure this info can be had online as well, but there's nothing like having good ol' hard copy in front of you when you're doing something....

Cheers
Willis

Plan 3 was choosen for a couple of reasons. Reason A is because this is my first layout, and I dont want to get in over my head with layout and wiring, but I dont want just a basic single oval either. Reason B is because this is a joint build between my wife and I, in which she will be contructing most of the scenery and town that will be in the middle of the layout. I want to keep her involved, and plan 3 allows alot of space for her to fill even given the small size of a 4x8 sheet.

I suggest you grab (if it's still available) the Kalmbach "How to Wire your Model Railroad" book. It's pretty basic, but addresses the situation you're describing :block control. Essentially you'll be powering any section of track (block) with one of two controllers. It's pretty simple once you get the basic idea of what you are trying to accomplish. It involves the use of toggle switches, 2 power packs, and dividing your layout into separate, independent blocks.
I'm sure this info can be had online as well, but there's nothing like having good ol' hard copy in front of you when you're doing something....

Barnes and Noble here I come.

Back