Econami and Ditch Lights - HELP!!!!

KB02

I have just installed an Econami ECO-PNP into my Atlas Dash-8. First impressions: Fantastic Decoder. The motor runs 1000 times quieter until, that is, I turn on the sound which sounds amazing (running a TCS WOW speaker). Very happy with the purchase. My problem comes with the programming the extra functions. I would say that the manual reads like stereo instructions, except, my stereo was much easier to figure out.

Okay, I have wired it up to run ditch lights and number plate lights separate from the headlight. FX3 for the number plates, FX4 and 5 for the ditch lights. As a default, they run off of functions 24, 25, and 26, respectively. Problem #1, My handheld cab only goes up to F15 (MRC Prodigy Express). Now, I know they work as I was able to plug in my wife laptop into the layout and run the MRC computer program which has all 28 functions available and I was able to test the light to ensure they work. BUT, as I wont always have the computer available, I need t find another way to run them. Econami does offer function mapping so I can change this to a function number my cab can access. The process, they say, is simple. You just have to change CV 1.259 to the desired function.

How does one program a CV with a decimal?

My cab can't do it. MRC's computer program can't seem to do it, and JMRI appears to be at a loss as well.

Problem #2: I can get the ditch lights to come on and flash, but they simply flash together and do not alternate. So, I guess it's problem 2a: How do I get them to alternate? Problem 2b: How can I get them to follow Rule 17 lighting light the other locos I have put ditch lights in? I would like them to be on solid until the horn is sounded and then flash (like at a crossing).

Would anyone be able to help with simple instructions? I am really at a loss here.

KB02 - go to the Lighting Effect CVs portion of the manual. You want to use Grade Crossing Logic and set the ditch lights to type I, that way they will return to steady on.

Unfortunately, I am at work right now so I can't tell you the exact settings but if no one else responds today I can tell you tonight.

Here is a video of an F40PH that I did with an Econami and flashing ditch lights.

[video=youtube;_5BCt9GPgEs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5BCt9GPgEs[/video]

Okay. Thanks for the help. I think I'm finally on the right track (no pun intended). When it gets into programing bits into CV, I get very confused. BUT, in case anyone else is looking into the Econami's here is what I did:

I have the ditch lights set into FX's 4 & 5 which are controlled by CV's 52 & 53. I wanted them in Ditch Light I, which uses a value of 9. By adding bit 6, which carries a 64 TO the 9, I got a value of 73 which is what turns on the grade crossing logic. Clear as mud, right? (it works. I am happy).

ALSO - I figured out the mapping of functions. There is so much programing packed into this little decoder it's crazy. They have put so much in that it will not all fit within the normal 0-255 range, so they had to expand into "Additional Pages" of CV's. By setting CV31 to 16, and 32 to 1, that opens up Page One of the extra CV's. FX3 is controlled by CV 1.259 (CV 259), FX 4 by 260 and 5 by 261. You can then tell it which function number to go by, I chose 10 for both 4 & 5 (my ditch lights) as it was unassigned and accessible by my cab.

NOW... My ditch lights flash ALMOST like I want them to. The problem is, they flash together instead of alternating. What have I missed?

Ah, figured it out! You have to turn on bit 5, a value of 32, to get the light to flash 180 degrees out from other light. So, instead of (in my case) CV 53 being 9, it has to be 9 + 64 (bit 6) + 32 (bit 5) = 105.

Lawyer's write laws that normal people can't understand.

Engineer's write instruction manuals for other engineer's and normal people are lost. Yes, the new crop of sound decoder's are fantastic, but when you have to have a EE degree to figure them out, well i may just stick with my simpler old decoder's.

Back