eBay Purchases and Expierience

I love it when i see someone bidding $20.00 higher for an item when the same thing is on BUY IT NOW for less.
I have over 900 transactions on ebay from USA, Germany, France, China, Japan and England. Never had a problem. Just do your homework befor you bid.

I love it when i see someone bidding $20.00 higher for an item when the same thing is on BUY IT NOW for less.
I have over 900 transactions on ebay from USA, Germany, France, China, Japan and England. Never had a problem. Just do your homework befor you bid.

of course when you win overseas you must expect long shiiping delays which i do hate

Last edited by a moderator:
Forum:

I have had basically good experiences with E-bay when making model railroad purchases with one exception. My first purchase was a Milwaukee Road box car and caboose. The items arrived and looked nothing like the photos and were of toy train quality. Really bad!!! Kept them to remind me that "Buyer Beware". Plan on using them to practice new weathering methods.

Otherwise, found some good locos that I been looking for and DCC mobile decoders at real low cost.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I hope you at least contacted the seller or if that fails used eBay's buyer protection about the discrepancy.

I have about 1% of my transactions that have been not as I ordered the item. Three of them were honest mistakes and in all 3 of those instances the seller made a more then fair offer to compensate. The 4th was, well less then cooperative and I had to use eBay's buyer protection and I was very satisfied with the outcome.

I feel like I am obligated to say something if I feel I have been wronged for all the other buyers and the good sellers.

Louis

Forum:

I have had basically good experiences with E-bay when making model railroad purchases with one exception. My first purchase was a Milwaukee Road box car and caboose. The items arrived and looked nothing like the photos and were of toy train quality. Really bad!!! Kept them to remind me that "Buyer Beware". Plan on using them to practice new weathering methods.

Otherwise, found some good locos that I been looking for and DCC mobile decoders at real low cost.

Greg

Louis:

The cost of the two items was so low I should of realized that it was just too good of a deal. I just wrote the purchase of to another one of life's lessons.

Greg

Greg,

We all know the lesson "If it seams to good to be true, it probably is", but from time to time we still get drawn into the hope that it is true.

I have been there and done that too!

Louis

I've made several other purchases from eBay now and have had 98% success. The other 2% involved communication with the seller and combining shipping for multiple won auctions.

One just didn't communicate at all but at the price of the cars (a few $'s) it was clear he was making most of his money through shipping. The shipping wasn't too out of whack though so I just paid for the items and moved on since the total sale was still in the sub-$30 range for several cars.

I am also about to list a couple loco's and see what happens with that. I do know you better learn the "tricks" quick and use them because f you don't, you will loose auctions or money.

On the other side of a coin.......I have now not one, but 2 open cases with ebay for folks who bid, won auctions, and seemingly have fallen off the face of the earth. If you don't want to follow through, why bid?:confused: Life is too short to waste time, and it's just plain ignorant to waste other peoples time.:(

That is a problem in society as a whole. I don't think it is a new problem either. I think it is as old as society itself.

Too many people don't mean what they say or say what they mean.

If a man has no integrity then he is a worthless man.

Louis

On the other side of a coin.......I have now not one, but 2 open cases with ebay for folks who bid, won auctions, and seemingly have fallen off the face of the earth. If you don't want to follow through, why bid?:confused: Life is too short to waste time, and it's just plain ignorant to waste other peoples time.:(

That is a problem in society as a whole. I don't think it is a new problem either. I think it is as old as society itself.

Too many people don't mean what they say or say what they mean.

If a man has no integrity then he is a worthless man.

Louis

Yep. Case in point. I bid on one car today that I didn't look at close enough...it stinks! But, instead of raising a stink...I'll follow through should I win it. It's a Walthers car but the guy did a VERY poor weathering job on it. I figure if all else fails, I'll shoot it with some paint and go from there.

Live and learn.

The other day there was a nice used life-like pensy alco FA + FB set with eight coal cars and four boxcars. I wanted that alco set and was going to bid $65. When it got to around 3 minutes left......the lot went from $50 quickly in steps up to $100 where it ended. It was bidding up so fast I just watched in amazement and never made a move myself.

If an item I like has no bids yet and getting close to the end........sometimes I wait until the last minute thinking others will more likely ignore something everyone else is ignoring. So if you notice that going on.....it's probably me! :rolleyes::cool:

I am about to list a Walthers Proto-2000 EMD GP20 GM Demonstrator #5625. NIB. $180 with offers (no less than $170 though). Let's see what happens.

I am also about to list a couple loco's and see what happens with that. I do know you better learn the "tricks" quick and use them because f you don't, you will loose auctions or money.

RC, Before you do, I'd recommend going through the ebay tutorials, and look at what some of the "big dogs" put in their listings as far as shipping/insurance/time to pay/returns/etc
The more you spell out up front, the better your chances with ebay if a problem arises

RC, Before you do, I'd recommend going through the ebay tutorials, and look at what some of the "big dogs" put in their listings as far as shipping/insurance/time to pay/returns/etc
The more you spell out up front, the better your chances with ebay if a problem arises

Karl,

Yep. My wife and I are listing it in the "long" process of setting up the ad. We read through most of the material and have taken all the precautions we can think of. No shipping till money in hand. No returns. About 7 pictures showing it well so no surprises on the buyers part. I hope we thought of everything.

I have bought a few things I wish I had never bid on by coming down with "happy bid syndrome" (bidding before thinking), but I still paid for them without complaint.

I have bid on some others only to later hope that some one would please be dumber then I was and out bid me!

The only reason to complain is if you get the item and it is not what was pictured or described.

You can't be upset by last second bidders, there is no rules against it. My problem is most auctions end long after my 8pm bed time! I love the ones that end in the early morning hours then I am the last second bidder.

Louis

ohh & dont forget something we have all done, see 4 or 5 listings at 20-25 bucks & throw a bid on each & going on with our lives......
then you go to your ebay page & damn if you didnt win all of them :confused::(

Back