Ebay fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bidding on e-Bay is a crap shoot....with the odds stacked against the casual bidder.

I win far more than I lose and I win at a price that I'm completely content with. When I lose, I lose, and no regrets. Someone was willing to pay more, that's all.

Darrell, quiet...for now

Darrell;

I'm like you, I win far more than I lose and at a price I'm content with. The theories on bidding are all well and good, and they are like uh... opinions, everyone has one.

The thing that I watch out for is excessive shipping charges. If the seller doesn't use the actual shipping charges to my location, I won't bid on the item.

There will always be another one of the same items from someone else at a better rate and often times can be had cheaper. I'm a very patient individual.

I guess I'm just a buyer, not a bidder. If I see something I like with reasonable shipping charges, I bid the highest amount I'm willing to pay and don't worry about until the auction closes. Since I'm not willing to pay more than my highest bid, there's no point in trying to snipe it at the end, since I'll pay more than I wanted to. The other thing I've found about bidding my highest price is that it tends to run a lot of other bidders off and I get it for the the next lowest bid, so I lose nothing. If other people want to get into a bidding war, have at it. That just means I still have my money to bid on something else later.

Since I'm not willing to pay more than my highest bid, there's no point in trying to snipe it at the end, since I'll pay more than I wanted to.
No, no, no. You do not understand. The point is if you snipe with the same price you were going to bid anyway because you might get it cheaper. You never bid higher than you really want.

I calculate the highest price I am willing to pay. I INCLUDE whatever shipping is in that price, so if shipping is high I just bid lower. Anyway once I know what my absolute maximum is on the item, I wait until there are 15 seconds or less left in the auction and bid that much. Period. I often get the item for much less than my maximum bid would have been had I just bid it and let other people pick on it all week long or think about it.

What I don't understand is why eBay doesn't institute a going, going, gone policy. It would make sniping irrelevant. Item gets to its end of review time and starts a count down. Each bid extends the time a little. When bidding really stops so does the auction. It would be almost trivial to implement.

No, no, no. You do not understand. The point is if you snipe with the same price you were going to bid anyway because you might get it cheaper. You never bid higher than you really want...

What I don't understand is why eBay doesn't institute a going, going, gone policy. It would make sniping irrelevant. Item gets to its end of review time and starts a count down. Each bid extends the time a little. When bidding really stops so does the auction. It would be almost trivial to implement.

Yes, yes, yes! We do understand. (I use Jim's method as well and have rarely lost anything that I really wanted.) Why would I want to get all worked up about an item that I know, 1. What the true value is, 2. Stay up late, or buy into a sniping program, which is a waste of time and money IMHO, and 3. Know exactly what I'm willing to pay, including shipping, and no more.

I will place my bid when I see the item, whether at the start of an auction, middle or towards the end. It matters not if I win or lose. If I win I got the item at a price I was willing to pay, and am satisfied. If I lose, thats OK as well, cause in a short time there will be another auction of the exact same item, and 99% of the time I win that one.

I have been lobbying E-bay for years to impliment a going going gone policy. They haven't done anything really but raise their fees.

Speaking of fleabay!

I won / bought some BN boxcars on ebay 10 days ago. I paid for priority shipping. I should have gotten them about 3 days after I won them. Which would have been X-mas day. No worrys they were not gifts. But I havent gotten them yet. I would have thought I would of had them in my hands by the 28th no l8r. But nope. At this point Im giving the seller the benefit of a doubt. Becuase the post offices get slamed around the holidays and he more then likly has a family to tend to. But Still I paid for shipping that shouldnt have taken longer then 3 days to 5 days, and this makes it day 10 and nothing in hand.

So I wrote the seller asking if he sent them and to find out if I can get some tracking info for them.

He wrote me back saying he sent them 8 days ago. I want to beleive him. Seeign as he seems to know just what day you claims to have mailed them. Sitting here with my fingers crossed and hopping im not going to be bashing my head off my key board again.

Erg! Just venting. Thanks for reading my ranting. lol

Western Star, you need to take a lesson on how e-bay works. If I place one bid for $1,000 and the last sniper comes in with a bid of $500, I still get the item for $501. How have I lost anything, if I was willing to pay $1,000 to begin with? It's people like me that make it tough on last second snipers like you because you can't guess my high bid, which is sitting there, waiting to execute. As you bid higher and higher, my bid will always top yours, until you get to $1,001, and you'll almost never have enough time to get your bid high enough. If you do, and $1,000 was the top price I was willing to pay, then it's yours. I haven't gone over my limit and you haven't gotten a bargain. Most snipers spend a lot of time and effort just to get caught up in bidding wars. Just place a bid for the highest price you're willing to pay and let the people with no life sit on top of the item for the last few hours of the auction.

What I don't understand is why eBay doesn't institute a going, going, gone policy.

Because the current policy attracts snipers to ebay. Ebay makes money from those auctions and if the snipers were gone, then there would be less bids and less people using ebay which means less money for them. Remember, Ebay is not your servant. Ebay is a business, and their purpose is to make money.

Speaking of fleabay!

I won / bought some BN boxcars on ebay 10 days ago. I paid for priority shipping. I should have gotten them about 3 days after I won them. Which would have been X-mas day. No worrys they were not gifts. But I havent gotten them yet. I would have thought I would of had them in my hands by the 28th no l8r. But nope. At this point Im giving the seller the benefit of a doubt. Becuase the post offices get slamed around the holidays and he more then likly has a family to tend to. But Still I paid for shipping that shouldnt have taken longer then 3 days to 5 days, and this makes it day 10 and nothing in hand.

So I wrote the seller asking if he sent them and to find out if I can get some tracking info for them.

He wrote me back saying he sent them 8 days ago. I want to beleive him. Seeign as he seems to know just what day you claims to have mailed them. Sitting here with my fingers crossed and hopping im not going to be bashing my head off my key board again.

Erg! Just venting. Thanks for reading my ranting. lol

The Postal Service had been backed up before christmas because people send a ton of christmas cards, presents, etc. Most shipments that were supposed to arrive in 2-3 days took at least a week.

Since Christmas and New Years are postal (delivery) holidays, you may not see your stuff until around the first week of January. If you don't see it, then file an "Item Not Received" dispute with paypal, which would mean that the seller would HAVE to provide a tracking number. If they can't then you will receive a refund. (if the item does arrive, do the right thing and send the seller the payment again!)

If the item arrives and the seller shipped it first class or parcel instead of priority, then I'd either leave a negative feedback, or leave a positive feedback but give them terrible seller ratings. (Be honest!)

I just got a small pkg. that was shipped over a week & a half ago from Nevada that was an EBay purchase. It was sent 1st class PP. Normally(not a holiday)it only takes 2 or 3 days.

Because the current policy attracts snipers to ebay. Ebay makes money from those auctions and if the snipers were gone, then there would be less bids and less people using ebay which means less money for them. Remember, Ebay is not your servant. Ebay is a business, and their purpose is to make money.

The Postal Service had been backed up before christmas because people send a ton of christmas cards, presents, etc. Most shipments that were supposed to arrive in 2-3 days took at least a week.

Since Christmas and New Years are postal (delivery) holidays, you may not see your stuff until around the first week of January. If you don't see it, then file an "Item Not Received" dispute with paypal, which would mean that the seller would HAVE to provide a tracking number. If they can't then you will receive a refund. (if the item does arrive, do the right thing and send the seller the payment again!)

If the item arrives and the seller shipped it first class or parcel instead of priority, then I'd either leave a negative feedback, or leave a positive feedback but give them terrible seller ratings. (Be honest!)

I assumed that the holidays could be a factor. I like to give a seller as much as 30 days before going to paypal. I only once had show up after I filed a claim with paypal. I wrote the seller and paid them. But with all that said. The item did show up 6 weeks after I won it and a buyer only has 30 days to file a dispute. ( I'm very honest person. ) Some say to honest, which I dont understand. lol

Anyhow the funny part of that story/ problem was. The seller turned around and srnt me my money back again minus shipping costs, saying in the email I got from them. That he found my item in a box and forgot to ship it. So I ended up paying just shipping for my 10 dollar item. I thought that was good of them and ended up buying much more from them. Infact I still buy stuff from them every month. Because the seller turned out to be so honest. Once and a while you find a good guy in the world it seems.

AS for this corrent problem. I will give the package time and the seller the benefit of a doubt like I said. Because he wrote me back quickly and has a good clean seller score. Time will tell. But I dont get the feeling the guys up to anything shady. So I hope everything works out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Western Star, you need to take a lesson on how e-bay works. If I place one bid for $1,000 and the last sniper comes in with a bid of $500, I still get the item for $501. How have I lost anything, if I was willing to pay $1,000 to begin with? It's people like me that make it tough on last second snipers like you because you can't guess my high bid, which is sitting there, waiting to execute. As you bid higher and higher, my bid will always top yours, until you get to $1,001, and you'll almost never have enough time to get your bid high enough. If you do, and $1,000 was the top price I was willing to pay, then it's yours. I haven't gone over my limit and you haven't gotten a bargain. Most snipers spend a lot of time and effort just to get caught up in bidding wars. Just place a bid for the highest price you're willing to pay and let the people with no life sit on top of the item for the last few hours of the auction.

Jim, a quick correction and then a comment. You're correct that if you proxy bid $1000, a later bidder for $500 will only generate a response from your proxy bid and he will still lose. But you won't get the item for $501 because the minimum bid increment at the $500 level is $10. You would win, but for $510, not $501.

Now my comment; I can still beat your $1000 proxy bid. Face it, if you know the item is worth $1000 and are willing to pay that for it, someone else knows it's value and is willing to pay more. He can bid up the price until he finds your high proxy bid (and why not if he's willing to pay the same thing you are!). When he finds your high bid, he can choose to quit and let you have it or he can outbid you. But remember, if he's actually BIDDING on the auction, he should know that you may be watching it, too, and standing by ready to outbid him again if necessary. What would I do in that situation? I'd bid you up until I either find your high bid or become the high bidder. If I find your high bid before I become the high bidder, I stop and, knowing exactly what your high bid is, I enter a snipe bid for $1050. I'm going to beat you, every time! (Unless, of course, there's another bidder doing the same thing I'm doing but sniping for $1100.) And I don't have to wory about how much time is left and can I get another bid in before the auction closes. I'm not bidding live! I'm sniping with ONE SECOND left in the auction. The ONLY way anyone can beat me is with another snipe bid.

Now, how can I win that auction without you even know I'm bidding? Simple. Like you, I know the value of the item. On a $1000 item, an extra $25 (the minimum bid increment at the $1000 level) isn't bidding up too much. I enter a snipe bid for $1100, a reasonable 10% over the value of the item. You don't even KNOW that I'm prepared to bid with only ONE SECOND left in the auction, so even if you're WATCHING the auction, you'll think you've won right up to the last second. Then BAM! My snipe beats your proxy!

Of course, if your $1000 bid was a "close-out" bid (meaning the item isn't worth $1000 but you don't think anyone is dumb enough to outbid you), you can find yourself buying a lot of expensive, over-priced stuff. Think about it: if the item is really worth $200-250, you know that no one in their right mind is going to out bid your $1000 proxy bid. But they don't KNOW your proxy bid is that high, so they keep bidding on it, each time being immediately outbid by your proxy. Now it becomes a contest of wills, or revenge. He keeps bidding you up and your proxy continues to outbid him. He keeps going until he reaches a point where he thinks, "Ha! Now I've got this guy (you) up to $800 for a $200 item. Time for me to quit! LOL". The result? Yeah, you "won", but it's a Pyrrhic victory, a victory that is offset by staggering losses. You won, but you lost! Ironic, isn't it?

Another comment: you stated that your $1000 bid will outlast anyone who's bidding and they won't have TIME to outbid you. They will, if you bid early in the auction. They'll have up to 7 to 10 DAYS to outbid you, depending on when you entered your bid. With an early bid like that, I can find your high bid and decide if I want to outbid you or not. MY choice. And if I do, you lose, but you don't care because $1000 is all you were willing to pay. I, on the other hand, was willing to pay $25 more.

You also said snipers spend a lot of time and effort and get caught up in bidding wars. That's not how sniping works. I spend a few seconds entering a snipe bid. My snipe bid DOESN'T affect the auction bidding at all. As a snipe bid, it won't be entered until the end of the auction. I can't get caught up in a bidding war because I'm NOT BIDDING! And I don't even have to be at my computer when the auction ends. My computer doesn't even have to be ON! My snipe bid will do my last second bidding for me while I while away my time doing more constructive things than staring at my computer screen for hours at a time.

It all sound rather ridiculous when you're talking about $1000 bids. Look at an example where the item is only worth $5 or $10. Now the minimum bid increment is 25 CENTS. You bid $10 early in the auction. If I snipe at $10.50, I'm going to beat your proxy bid. You won't even know that you've been outbid until you check the auction, even if you're watching it as it ends!

Still, it's true that you weren't willing to pay more than $10 for the item, but doesn't it just gall you to know that for a measly quarter, you got outbid?

I snipe because it dramatically increase my chances of winning at a price I'm very comfortable with. If e-Bay changes their auction format to a going-going-gone format, I, and thousands of other bidders, will quit bidding entirely. I don't think e-Bay wants to lose thousands of potential bidders.

Well, those are my thoughts anyway. I could go on, but there's no real point to it. You are perfectly correct in having a different opinion. But my snipe STILL beats your proxy!

Darrell, quiet...for now

Still, it's true that you weren't willing to pay more than $10 for the item, but doesn't it just gall you to know that for a measly quarter, you got outbid?...

Actually it doesn't bother me one bit, Darrell. I doubt that it bothers Jim either. Simple reason is unless the item is a one of a kind or extremely rare, chances are that there will be another one up for auction almost immediately, or very soon at the latest.

Nine times outta ten, that on this item, I wind up as either the only bidder or the guy with the highest bid. The past 22 items that I've wanted I was able to do this way, and I've won 19.

Best example I can give you is my last engine from e-bay. It was a Bowser 2-10-2. The first auction was for the loco and superdetail kit. I bid $100. At the end I was outbid by a sniper. No problem. The next week there was another 2-10-2 with the superdetail kit up. One other person had bid on it, I bid my $100 bucks again, and won the loco for $51 eight days later. Turned out he and I were the only bidders. On the previous one, there were 10 bids, including the sniper's.

Didn't even know I had won until I got notified by E-bay.

So, go ahead and place your snipe bids after trying to determine the high bidders limit. Yeah, you'll win the item at $110. But it will be the same item that I win the next week, for less than half of what you won for.

Now that I would find galling.

I can only echo CJ's sentiments. Why would I feel bad if you won the auction for any amount more than the top price I was willing to pay for it? Now, if it's something I really want and am willing to pay more than it's worth, you'll never snipe me, because my proxy bid is too high and you will have to get in a bidding war to beat me. If you go up by whatever the minumum is each time and my proxy bid is, say, $75 over your last bid, you're going to have to take the chance of bidding really high to find out my top bid. If I was really nuts and had a proxy bid of $200 sitting there for a $50 item, you'd have to keep sniping to beat me. You'd then end up paying $210, just to top my proxy bid with a last minute snipe, for something that was worth $50. Don't say it doesn't happen, because I've seen three or four last minute snipers, all trying to outdo each other to beat that last proxy bid, even though something like it will show up again. That's where it switches from buying something to a contest of wills. I don't get involved in that.

If I place my top bid the first day of the auction, I've set the floor. If someone else want to pay more, I could care less if it's one minute after I place my bid or the last second of the auction. Either way, you'll have to pay more than what I think it's worth to get it. Either you're willing to do that because I've undervalued the item or you just want to win. Since I'm very sure of the true value of an item every time I bid, I know someone else doesn't know the true value if they are willing to get taken. More power to them. Even if it costs you only an extra dollar, $10, or whatever, all those little increments add up over time. Do it enough times and you'd have enough money to buy a nice engine.

How about if we field test this? I'll list a tyco unit, and you can snipe him for $1050, ok? :D

Once you bid, theres a 1-click bid option where it will pop up a bid monitor that shows up in real time and I use that to either snipe or raise my proxy at the last minute to prevent myself from being sniped.

Trey, well put.

Jim, CJ, here is the thing, perhaps you did stay within that 1000 limit you set as a limit, but with all the stray bids raising your plank you sertainly ended up paiying way over the ammount you could have paid had you played it smarter. in your scenario you ended up paying 501, why not win it for 301 though?

Anton, because if another bidder really wants it, I won't get it for $301, unless $300 was the top bid except for mine - just using numbers as examples here. If someone else is willing to place a top bid of $500, I still get it for $501. I can't overpay because I've already set my top limit and, if all the other bids are way below mine, I still get it cheaper than the maximum I was willing to pay. How does my maximum proxy bid cause others to raise thier bids higher than they would if I was out of the auction completely? Bidders are going to bid, and all it takes is two fighting it out to get the bids up to a ridiculous amount.

There's one kinky thing about Ebay....NOBODY can predict who will be looking at the bids from one day to the next...or one week to the next...CJ was mentioning about 10 bidders first time around, and only two on the same item 2nd time around, that could be proof right there that ppl are NOT as tenacious as believed. But then let's face it, EBAY is a sad joke for auctioning in contrast to a LIVE auction...I don't think there's any published studies on how often ppl look at ebay listings....and they sure aren't admitting to any drop in sellers and buyers looking...but I HAVE noticed a BIG DROP in particular item listings. So...I guess the bottom line is, if you insist in patronizing their business, you're going to have to entertain all the crap that goes with it.

If I was really nuts and had a proxy bid of $200 sitting there for a $50 item, you'd have to keep sniping to beat me. You'd then end up paying $210, just to top my proxy bid with a last minute snipe, for something that was worth $50. Don't say it doesn't happen, because I've seen three or four last minute snipers, all trying to outdo each other to beat that last proxy bid, even though something like it will show up again.

Since I'm very sure of the true value of an item every time I bid, I know someone else doesn't know the true value if they are willing to get taken. QUOTE]

Your first paragraph states that I have to keep sniping to beat your bid. Not true. Sniping occurs ONCE at the END of the auction. I place one snipe bid for what I'm willing to pay for an item, factoring in the shipping charges. At the last second of the auction, my bid is entered. If I've already been outbid, no one will EVER see my bid because it won't be placed! Agreed, if I'm sniping an item that's going for $2.00 and I snipe it at $4.00, I don't know if the original bidder has a much higher proxy bid that will beat my snipe bid. I won't know until the end of the auction. And I won't care that I lost, either, because, as you so correctly stated, another one will be along soon!

And I agree that bidding on e-Bay often gets way out of hand. But that's AUCTION bidding, not snipe bidding, that is driving the price way up. People get that "gotta have it at any price" mentality and pay more than they need to. I'll never understand that, especially in light of the fact that another one WILL be along soon!

As to knowing the VALUE of something beforehand, I doubt ANYONE can accurately KNOW the value of an auction item because the price is set by the auction. True, I've seen some items go for over-list-price because the bidder didn't know, or didn't care, that the same item is available from an online e-tailer for less money. In that case, it's 'auction fever' setting the price at a level where both you and I would be uncomfortable. But there are items on e-Bay that are hard to find or are no longer available at retail. Those are the items whose true value IS determined by the auction. No one can know the value of that item, only what they THINK the value should be. You and I may 'think' the item is worth $10, but someone else 'thinks' it's worth $20 and is willing to pay that. So be it, they've set a value for that item. The next time that item comes up for bid, the value may or may not be the same as the previous auction, mainly because the bidders are a different set of bidders than the first auction.

For years, I wanted an N scale Rivarossi Big Boy which is unavailable except in the aftermarket. I watched them go for $250 to $300 on a regular basis, a price at which I would have been uncomfortable. Even BROKEN ones were selling at over $200. But patience won out. Eventually, I was able to pick one up for UNDER $200. Now, was I so smart that the 'value' of that engine really is $200, or were the other bidders not smart enough to realize the 'value' was only $200? Neither. If an item often brings in $300, that's the general value of the item and I got lucky at $200. (By the way, I didn't snipe that one. I bid on it live.)

More recently, I watched an auction for 7 days that had 2 or 3 bids on it with a high bid of $105. Having planned on sniping, I hadn't bid on it. I placed my snipe bid a few hours before the auction ended. I happened to be watching as the auction ended and I was sure my $135 snipe bid was going to win. With 3 seconds left, there had been NO more activity since the high bid had been placed several days before. So I was surprised that the final bid was nearly $180 not including postage! You wanna talk about some heavy sniping? Boy, that was it! What was the value of the item? In the neighborhood of $350 at retail. Was it worth $180? Not to me, but to someone else, it was! (Just before Christmas, I won the same item on another auction - for $115, postage included! Yup, that's right, I sniped it!!

Of course, we may be arguing from the same viewpoint. Both of us consider what we would pay for an item as its 'value'. That's our opinion, and someone else may, and often does, have a different opinion. My stand is that I can increase my winning percentages using snipe bidding without exceeding the 'value' that I place on it.

Earlier, tankist commented about bidding 'smart'. Putting in a maximum bid is not necessarily smart bidding. It establishes YOUR bid ceiling as soon as you place the bid. And it allows any other bidder to bid the price up. Wouldn't it be better to let the auction languish at its opening bid of $1.00, then swoop in at the last second and win it for the minimum bid increment? With a lack of other bidders, you'd end up paying $1.05 for an item you WERE willing to pay $1000! Now that's SMART bidding!

And that happens from time to time just as certainly as last minute sniping by several bidders can jump the final price to astronomical levels. As I said earlier, bidding on e-Bay is a crap shoot. Sometimes an item gets dozens of bids while at the same time, another IDENTICAL item is still sitting at its opening bid with NO bidders! Those are the items I look for and snipe. I know it's worth $10 or $20, but why would I want to bid that maximum when I know someone else is probably willing to pay more? I may snipe at my maximum, but no one will know about it until the auction is over. And if late bidders have driven the price up, no one will ever know I was even interested it the item because my snipe bid won't show up anywhere.

If I had Bill Gate's money, I'd just bid $1000 for everything and I'd win a lot. Without those resources, I have to resort to what gets me what I want at a fair value. To me, that means sniping.

Well, we could argue about this until the cows come home, but there's a few items ending soon that I want to go snipe! LOL

An interesting discussion. I've enjoyed participating and enjoyed the opinions expressed in this thread. I may have disagreed with the opinions, but I enjoyed the exchange!

Anton, because if another bidder really wants it, I won't get it for $301, unless $300 was the top bid except for mine - just using numbers as examples here. If someone else is willing to place a top bid of $500, I still get it for $501. I can't overpay because I've already set my top limit and, if all the other bids are way below mine, I still get it cheaper than the maximum I was willing to pay.

Jim, yes, you are not overpaying but you not getting the best price you could get either. if your high bid is not there or low (so it just sends you email notification before the end) your opponent has no reason to try hard and beat it. he is not going to go bananas and try to find your bid and raise you for nothing. of course things can happen but in your scenario chances are he will bid 300 and relax since he is "highest bidder"). and then 10 secs before the end, you bid your 1000 bid and get it for 301... or 401 if there was another one. You still win the item but for less money.

if there are more people involved, as is with any fight, it is better to wait until the participants weaken and exhaust each other, and then go in and beat them both down.

EDIT:
as example, last week of December i won my camera (i love it BTW :D ). its going for 1100-1200 on the bay. i guess luck is a factor as well but i won it for 951.
here is the history: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=150398186926&showauto=true

had i put my max bid in front the H***0 guy, who worked really smart by the way (was a winner and then also increased his bid ~15 sec or so before end 2 notches, not one) would have taken the item. or would raise me trying, costing me more money that i did not necessarily had to pay to win.

i'm not gambler by nature but when i want an item, i get it. i will admit that approach did not work couple times but mostly it does. and also VERY important - it is not my invention, this is a very well documented approach i read some years ago in one of the uber-ambitious "how to win stuff for less" guides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice score on the camera, Anton! A D-300 for under $1000! Super!

Your link showing the bid history is interesting. It demonstrates exactly what I was talking about regarding people bidding the price up during the course of the auction. After opening on Dec 15 for 99 cents, the bids were run up to $800 in the first 3 days, then languished for another 4 days before a new round of bidding sent the price even higher. I noticed, Anton, that you refrained from bidding until the very end, when all other bidders had pretty much exhausted themselves. Smart move!

But it still confuses me that the early bidders actually thought they had a chance to win by bidding the price up. There is ALWAYS someone willing to outbid you! And if you're an early bidder, the only result is higher and higher bids. No one wins. (Okay, the SELLER wins! LOL) Had those early bidders just watched the auction instead of stroking their egos by having the high bid, the camera might have sold for a lot less than it did.

Early bidders don't win auctions. Only the LAST bidder wins. Early bidders only inflate the bid. And if those early bidders aren't honest bidders, it's called "shill" bidding, friends or associates of the seller who bid the price up just to get more money for the seller. E-Bay prohibits the practice, although it's very difficult to prove shill bidding.

The best way to get the most value out of an auction is to NOT bid early and use snipe bidding.

Darrell, quiet...for now

I have bought one thing or another on ebay over the last few years and now trying to get a few Lionel Sunoco tank cars. What gets me are the shipping charges on some. With flat rate boxes from the post office for $7.50 I believe, these cars will fit easily in one, yet some of the shipping charges are like $15.00. But that's ok, I include the shipping charges in on what I figure I want to pay. So if I want to pay $20.00 for something, it's not $20.00 then the shipping on that. Seems they are hurting themselves by over charging on shipping. But, I guess there are pleanty of people that don't figure it that way.

Paul O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back