Easily Built Feed & Grain

Mixed Freight

Back at it again, folks. As promised sometime back (albeit better late than never :p), here's another inexpensive cardboard and paper structure for my O-gauge switching layout - Honegger's Feed & Grain......................
2197.JPG

This structure has no exact prototype that I'm aware of. Rather, it is a compilation of several different pictures I found on the internet, and combined features that I liked in order to come up with a backdrop structure to fill the requirements I needed. Built to fit the space I had available on the layout, it is 32" long, 5-1/2" deep, and about 14" tall. As per a previous structure, it's built of a corrugated cardboard form, and then covered with various weights of hand-scribed papers and light card stock. A little bit of wood, soft galvanized wire, and two flex drinking straws (the grain spouts) pretty much round out the materials list. Some cheap rattle can spray paints took care of all the paint. Some chalks, colored pencils, and Krylon Matte Spray took care of the weathering chores. The signage was found on the internet and printed off on my home ink-jet printer.

2199.JPG

2198.JPG

I don't think I have quite $10 worth of materials involved in this structure. Once again, all the corrugated cardboard for the structure form was obtained for free out of the county recycling bin at our local grocery store.

Here's a few pic's of the back side........................
2201.JPG

2202.JPG

I now need to start working on some detail items for the structure. Some figures, feed sacks, some pallets, and other odds and ends come to mind. Either stuff I make or find laying around will do wonders in this area.

Just thought I would share. Hope you like! :)👍

Coming up next: The 3-rail O-gauge Switching Layout. Stay tuned!!!

Back