Dust and lint removal... suggestions wanted

eric2448

Hello all, Im back in modeling mode and have come across a problem. I painted and decaled a number of rolling stock for a project Ive been working on for the past 2 years. The bodies were sitting out in the open and have acquired some dust and lint over the past 6 months. I didnt get around to sealing the decals with clear coat before I let the project sit. I was thinking of getting some tack cloth and gently stamping (not rubbing) the surface to remove the particles and then sealing the decals with a clear coat. Im assuming that tack cloth would not leave any residue that would hurt the finish. Any thoughts or other ideas?

I have found from my woodworking days that a tack cloth WILL leave a small amount of residue.
Some times this did cause a problem with a finish and sometimes it did not.

For a model, if the dust and lint are not in the finish, I would try light air pressure and a small paint brush first.

Also, any contaminates that get on the surface after you have used a tack cloth can very difficult to remove.
The dust or lint will stick to the residue left by the tack cloth.
Air will not blow the lint or dust off.

Dale

Last edited by a moderator:
I would lightly rinse the bodies under a faucet. If you used a decal setting agent on the decals they will not wash off. I would also wipe them with a lint free cloth, or soft paper towels.

Get a can of air from the office supply. The stuff used to clean computers. It is filter and very clean. It will blow most if no all dust off. I just use my compressed air from my compressor.

Buzz.

Looks like Ill nix the tack cloth and probably try brushing the surface and using some air. Thank you all for the suggestions!

I don't know about the lint, but I had a bunch of rolling stock that was left in a dusty environment for 20 years. Other than lightly blowing (you could use that compressed air) on the cars and engines, I just left it alone. Don't have to worry about weathering!:rolleyes:

Back