Drilling Question

BAD

What do you guys all use to drill holes for grab irons on locos? I was looking to use my dremel tool, but I can't fit that small of a drill bit on it.

I (and most others) use a "pin vise" drill which is also called a "pen drill".
It is similar to an exacto knife in looks but has a mandrill to take very small bits.
It gives you a little more control for small work.
I have drill bits so small I can't find them!

Small drills

I can remember Josh posted some thread about tools and in it there were some very small drills with nice handles. Maybe he can repost it.

NYC_George

If any of you live close to a welding supply co. or an auto parts store that handles welding supplies you can get mandrel drills/handles w/a real good selection of tiny drill bits in the handle. The handle has a screw cap on it that holds the bits.
I have about 5 of them that I have aquired over the years. They cost about 6 to 8 bucks a piece.
They are used to clean out the holes in cutting torches & mig tips. No matter what size of tip you have it has a drill bit for it.

Larry

I use a pen also and I always make sure the drill bit sticks out of the pen as deep as I want the hole to be. this reduces snaping the bit in half.

Trent

the bottomline is to use a hand drill, not a powered one. You will need extreme control and a powered drill, Dremel or otherwise, is just not going to work for this kind of fine work.

The pinvise drills mentioned have a swivel head that you press upon with your index finger to provide pressure and trust me, that's all the pressure you really need.

now, back on Dremels for bit: you can buy a 3 (or 4) jaw chuck for most dremels that will allow you to use non-standard diameter tools. But don't use it for small drilling.

I will 2nd the suggestion to place these small fine drill bits in the pin vice with minimum cutting surface exposed,no more than what takes to go through the matrial your drilling through.
When drilling metal perticularly lead alloys a drop of light oil is a absolute necessity, also back the drill out often to clear out the excess metal shavings and finally.......Take your time, do not rush the job.

Pin vises

When you get a pin vise, Do yourself a favor and stay away from any in Walters catalogs. Few I got from there are all junk. Would not tighten on a #80 drill bit. I ended up going to local industrial supply store and buying a set of tool and die makers pin vises, little bit more pricey, but worth it

I really like those Micromark finger drills. They may seem a bit expensive at first glance but, if you're like me, you go through #80 bits like water using a standard pin vise. I've been using the Micromark drills for a year now and have yet to break a single bit. I think it's because each bit is part of the chuck and is precisely centered so you have no side motion from an off center bit. They are really worth it if you do a lot of detailing.

Jim, I recently broke my Micromark #80 finger drill. Micromark replaced it for me, for free.

Cool, Josh, I didn't know they offered free replacements. It sure is nice not going through a gross of bits every year.

I have a real cool denist he gives me his used hand drills. They are very small and have grips on the ends. He will store them in a alcohol container until it is about half full. They are very sharp and very easy to use.

Hmm...it would be nice to get something good from a dentist for a change. I'll have to put the elbow on mine next time I see him.

a pin vise is definitely the way to go. The first set I got was off evilbay for $12 inc shipping. I still have half the bits, and the vice, but the vice doesnt work that well, so I put a #56 drill bit in it to use for tapping. I use a Kadee pen vise now, its double ended, and will use a awl or punch to start my holes so as to not "skip" off the intended hole and mess up the paint on a finished model. I got a small awl in one of the cheapy screwdriver sets, and it works great for starting holes, and the whole set was only $1. :cool:

I get a lot of small hand tools at my local harbor Freight stores & Northern Tool stores.
Local to me is 50 miles away.

Back