DPM Kits N scale

plasticman

Hi, I was looking at the DPM N scale model kits. They look good and with the atractive price. Does anyone have any opinions on these kits?? Pros - Cons?

they are a pretty good kit. their kits are a little hard to keep square. have never been in n scale only ho and the thought of painting something that small.. wow.... i don't see how n scalers do it.

hey mike, thanks for the response. I agree with painting the n scale buildings. (very small) I have been a 1/35th scale model builder for a few years and I thought they (1/35th) were small. Geez, what the heck am I thinking?!?! LOL :confused: :eek:

Take care my friend...

That IS the major downside to the DPM kits...the painting. There's no way to use them "out-of-the-box" . If you have the patience to do the painting, they have a nice selection of kits at attractive prices, and they lend themselves well to kitbashing. They are easy to build (except the painting) and you can buy interiors for a lot of the kits. Bottom line is that if you want to build it and put it right on the layout, they aren't a good choice.....If you like painting and detailing and weathering, then they make nice buildings on your layout.

I like them a lot. I've used them exclusively for my downtown (The gray building, the start of Wonka's factory (not to sclale) is a Walther's as well as the Fuel depot) on my current layout project. They are fairly easy to build, but, be sure to check square. You're just butting up flat surfaces in them, so, if your'e not careful, they can get out of whack. I like detailing work (Still have a lot to do on them) but, as you can see, you can still hold the brick detail pretty well with them. Of brick building models, these have been my favorite to put together and detail. They have a pretty solid feel to them after completed. Not something you can say about a lot of N scale stuff.

The only negatives are that they are lacking a lot of detail stuff you might normally want. Downspouts, roof vents, etc. Price wise though, these are all easily added. And as was mentioned before, they don't look good out of the box. They must be painted. I sprayed everything with a base coat first. Then added the details later.

trains1.jpg

dpm.jpg

Here is some of the detail I've been able to achieve with the brick. I have yet to paint the window trim in this picture, but, that's my favorite part of the hobby, the building and painting of kits.
dbp2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll second that, even though I like wood kits best. There is no beating their accuracy and ease of building them.

One shot of the dpm saloon's back door and two shots of a walthers cornerstone. These building have been abused over the years.......

I bought one of those metal fixture trays that Micro-Mark sells, along with spare magnets. The side lips are square, so I can use all 4 corners to square up sides of the DPM buildings as I'm assembling them. The extra magnets allow me to do more sections and also secure them better so they don't shift.

Kennedy

Back