Dogbone with xover. To reverse on the loops or the middle ?

DALDEI

Here's a rough diagram of my layout I'm working on (its changing slightly as reality hits but this is the right idea)

BasementLayout3-1024x849.jpg

At http://trains.calldei.com/?attachment_id=86

I realize this will require some reversing section(s).

My quandary is do I put the reversers (likely a PSX-AR ) on the loops or the middle section ... Lets ignore the middle island section for the moment as I think it will need its own reverser no matter what.

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to using a single auto reverse power district in the middle ? as apposed to say a common section in the middle but a reverser section on each loop of the bone ?

Advise appreciated !

-David

It all depends on how long your trains are, and will they fit within the reversing section. If your longest train will fit in the middle reversing section, then just go with the single section there. If not, you'll have to extend the reversing section to one of the loops.

I've heard this before, and at first it makes sense but the more I think about it it doesnt make sense. Suppose for the simpliest case you have 2 sections and want to choose which to put the reverser on and which to be "main". Now obviously the train (or atleast the part of the train that needs power) needs to fit within one power district. But how can it make a difference which ? Suppose Section 1 is 10 car lengths and Section 2 is 20 car lengths. And your using a 15 car train. The logic stated is you should put the reverser on section 2 ... but why ? If the train spans section 1 & 2 then it doesnt matter which is the reverser, neither will work (assuming you have power needs on all trains, which in reality is doubtful unles you have lighted cars). But still suppose you need power on all trains. NEITHER section can be a reverser. Sure you could get the train all on section #2 then reverse power but as it approaches section #1 it will be out of phase and will need to reverse again while the train overlaps the 2 ...

Am I missing something ?

I'm thinking *every power district* needs to be as big as your longer powered train segment, in which case it makes no difference which "reverses" and which stays "main" ...

?????

But maybe I misunderstood what "extend the reversing section to one of the loops" means.

-David

My layout has a similar arrangement. I isolated the area between the crossovers ie put in isolated rail joiners between where your crossovers start on each side. Wire in your reversing unit to power the section of crossovers. Worked for me.

Back