does Elmhurst (IL) club still has open door times on sundays?

Yes the club is open today, 1-4PM

If you get there early just ring the buzzer at the back door (alley) and someone will let you in. Im in Utah this weekend so I wont be there....

Regards Trent

TY for the fast reply! was asking since it seems the *lake county club will not have any during the summer.

enjoy your weekend

Last edited by a moderator:
LCMRRC has theres in the end of summer I think. I have not been down to either club for over 2 months.... Summer is here!!!! If you need more info about either club and their open house days let me know....

took my 2YO and 9YO nephew for a trip.
what i did not realise is that they actually have 3 separate clubs in there. last time i've been to the smaller one i guess, today was the main (one trey posted pictures from). as of the third i'm not sure where, thats what the guys inside said...
in any case - goodness! i almost got lost. plan is a work of art it seems. amount of remote switches and overhead control boards is staggering. with that the guys who make it all happen are simply masochistic it seems -it was DC session!

layout of such size run in DC? this is madness!
this_is_madness.jpg

i understand conversion will cost quite a penny, but how even the most seasoned DC railroaders don't see the benefit of converting to all digital is beyond me.

3 clubs?

Last I heard its just one LOL

We have (had) a Hon3 Layout (under reconstruction) and the main HO layout. There is a diffrent club next door to us but I hae not been down there in a year.

withing the last 10 years The EMRCC has slowly converted the layout to run on DCC and DC. My opinion is that by the time its all converted to operate both...DC will be dead in the water. IDK why they insist on trying to have both as 90% of the new members are DCC and many of the serious Older members converted to DCC after they got over the fear of it and DCC costs became cheeper. Most membes will agree that the layout would run much more smoother on just DCC but we have to remeber were a family club and invite all to run.. But Yea..... Im one of the guys that When I see a new Guy intrested in Joining the club. I cross my fingers that he is a DCC only guy. It seams that people entering the hobby are easly swayed into DCC after a quick lesson about it. Seams its the older guys that dont want to give up the DC easy.

If you came in thry the front door... Main entrace... the first sight of the layout is the part I have been working on. The river front with the town, rocks walls and tunnel. Yea I did that. (Just Bragging LOL ) Over the winter months when we have busy open houses DCC is the only way to run. Its nice when we have 10 people all on DCC all we have to do is look for our cabosse and watch single track aeras. Life is good on those days!!!!

yeah, visited the one across the door in basement about a year ago. i thought that was it (two separate clubs next door still sounds strange to me) i've been told this is completely separate club. HOn3 i have not seen apart form small demo piece right in front of the iron ore loading dock (magnificent piece BTW) upon entry.

as for DC, the operation seemed very smooth but not many trains were running as people were prepping to go home. one of the guys was actually nice enough and offered my nephew to drive the train. i want to stop by some other time and actually take some pictures (was to busy holding the little one)

most of the guys that I know down at the club seam to run mostly in the cold winter months. As you know we only get about 4-5 months of "warm weather" and we have to use it wisely LOL. if you plan to go down there again let me know and if im in town I will come down with a train you could run. or bring one of your engines and you can run it around for a while with some of my cars in tow.

Regards
Trent

as far as weather definitely. trains have a tough time negotiating with fishing, fishing, and fishing :) (obviously all those activities are wife approval pending as well)

i do want to stop by and that time actually take some pictures (perhaps a video). and i'd love to run a train on that maze of a layout, this really neat offer. i can bring an engine (and a powercab if needed) but is it allowed to bring in friends and let them run stuff like that? i would not want any strange looks nor trouble for you.
and i think it is probably me who needs to work around your schedule. when is the next time you plan on showing up there ?

genral rule is a club member can bring a guest(s) down and let them run on the layout so long as the member stays with them when operating a train. If you do bring a loco down I would prefer a DCC loco. Reason I say this is that. I would have you follow another member that is also on DCC and we wont have to watch our "blocks" as closely. More time for me to explain the layout to you. Some times when I am running 80 car train and letting a visitor run, its kinda hard to keep tabs on the blocks ahead of us, making sure the rear of the train is still with us, looking for switch positions, and watching traffic around the next bend. having a DCC train in front of us helps with this knowing the next block is ready for us. then we just look for the cabosse and maintain our distance. we can then chat and note how things work.

I want to get down there soon but work and some auto body projects are on the to do list.
Im busy this weekend, the following weekend im gone for work. then the next weekend is a car show. then gone for work again...Aggggg I need more time. I figure next time im down there is about a month away. If I do get free time I will let you know... I enjoy showing the layout to guests. Its a big part of the hobby....

Trent

sounds great. i will bring a DCC loco :)

let me know when you plan to be there i will try to open that *time as well - pm or update this post (will generate email notification for me)

Back