Does anyone know if SD40's had 81" short hoods ?

blues90

I have a rail power shell and frame which later Athearn re tool for their RTR SD40 . THey all appear to have the 88" short hood. Yet from what I understand the SD40 preceeded the 40-2 and all early units had the 81" short hood.

ON athearns site they do mention the one they produce is the later version so it would have the later 88" hood

To add seems all GP38-2's I've seen have 88" short hoods were they built later than the SD40-2 and all had the 88" short hood.

SD40's should have 81" noses. This was the standard nose from 1963 - 1977. Units produced after 1977 would have the 88" nose. (or one of the other longer variations)

SD40's should have 81" noses. This was the standard nose from 1963 - 1977. Units produced after 1977 would have the 88" nose. (or one of the other longer variations)

Thank you . That's just what I wanted to know. I just want to finish the one SD40 I have and want to go with the early version . I am going to replace the short hood with a cannon 81" and the long hood end with a cannon kit that has two high hood ends so they both match . Since rail power products shells have different number boards and lower hood end doors I want them to match .

I am also changing the short hood on a athearn SD40-2 not the RTR version but the first one that was still a BB but had the new hex drive since it also has the 88" nose.

Also I am going to finish the RPP SD7 shell and frame I have . I have found number boards that will work just a bit of filing and fitting . I am doing SD40-2's in Milwaukee and not sure yet but the SD40 in false Milw or CGW or C&NW since they all fit in with what I want. The SD7 will be Milw road since that was the starting point.

I have 2 Kato SD40's (MRL). I just checked the measurement of the noses (I work in metric) They were 24mm. multiplying by 87 = 2088mm. Dividing by 25.4 (25.4mm=1" near enough) = 82". If they were 88" noses they would have measured 25.7mm. They are definitely not that. So, if you can find them (I'm assuming this is what you're after) the Kato model's the one you want.

Just as a note, I also checked a BLI UP SD40-2 I have (fairly recent release) and it's nose measures 23mm which scales out to 79"approx. Did they have noses that short on them?

Back