Does anyone do spin casting? (brass or pewter)

iomalley

Barely-employed Brakeman
I'm looking for a spin caster that can do a rather large quantity (50 or so) of locomotive chassis.

I talked to Guil at TV Models today, and he's retired from that business.

He threw out the names Greenway Brass and Bowser, but before I approach them, would rather put the money in a modeler's hands who has this technology at their disposal...:)

I would provide a resin master frame for casting.

LMK by IM or email...thanx! ;)

The trouble with spin casting is the original needs to withstand the mold making process, as the rubber vulcanizes it can get up around 300F and pretty high pressures as well. A guy I know has a foundry and does a lot of spin casting miniature figures and showed me the process once.

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you ever had any luck with finding someone to do the casting for you? With the advent of some of the new rubbers that are available, low temperatures are actually quite attainable. The rubber I use most frequently is vulcanized at only 180 degrees, so some resins will stand up to it. I've heard tell of some folks vulcanizing this rubber at as low as 160 degrees, but haven't tried it myself. Also, if the mold is build well enough, not as much pressure is needed.

Probably the best option for you, would be to make an RTV mold out of silicone that will handle the heat of white metal, then make one production master from that mold that suits your standards. From that production master, it would be no issue at all to make up a production mold. The only issue is the time it takes, and the money it costs.

I hope you were able to find someone to do the frames for you. I'd love to hear how things have worked out.

Back