Dishonest Item Description on Ebay?

Marlin338MX

Just a heads up... This seller has what appears to be a Lionel brand HO scale Burlington Northern caboose listed as a NEW Tyco caboose in a Tyco box with foam shipping "peanuts" inside the Tyco box. The road number is 9860?, which matches my Lionel BN caboose (98601), and mine is clearly marked Lionel on the bottom of the caboose. The seller has other "NEW" model trains listed that have the foam shipping peanuts inside the boxes.

I'm not saying that the seller is intentionally trying to misrepresent the items. He or she might not know what they have. Use your best judgement and ask questions.

Here's the caboose listing, to show you what caught my eye

Here is my Lionel brand BN caboose for comparison

PXL_20240508_131938007.jpg

PXL_20240508_131952097.jpg

Just a heads up... This seller has what appears to be a Lionel brand HO scale Burlington Northern caboose listed as a NEW Tyco caboose in a Tyco box with foam shipping "peanuts" inside the Tyco box. The road number is 9860?, which matches my Lionel BN caboose (98601), and mine is clearly marked Lionel on the bottom of the caboose. The seller has other "NEW" model trains listed that have the foam shipping peanuts inside the boxes.

I'm not saying that the seller is intentionally trying to misrepresent the items. He or she might not know what they have. Use your best judgement and ask questions.

I recently received a "new" UP caboose from Ebay. It was missing ladders on both ends and rails on one end. I notified the seller regarding the issue and informed them I would not pay return shipping. I got my full refund. Now when there is a listing that doesn't show the item out of the box, I request an out of the box photo before bidding.

In my example above, the caboose is in a box that is clearly marked "Billboard Reefer, 40 foot Ralston Purina". Not sure how the seller missed that...

This is precisely what has made me stop using eBay for the most part!

This is listed as new. EBay's decryption of new is: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item. This had obviously been opened at one time, therefore is not new!

You see this all the time on building kits. The picture shows the wrapping is missing and an open box, but the seller states its new.

He also doesn't have great feedback, so this is another red flag!

I have bought several items for my layout on Ebay. Really only had one bad deal where the seller listed some buildings and train cars etc. with pics and when I got them there were parts busted off in different bags or missing altogether. When I questioned the seller and showed pictures of what I received compared to what he sent explaining that something should be done (as I was figuring a refund of the shipping cost) the seller gave a complete refund and did not ask for the items back. It was like the pieces might have been broken and they were put together to take the pictures and then placed in separate baggies when shipped. It was very strange.

This is precisely what has made me stop using eBay for the most part!

This is listed as new. EBay's decryption of new is: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item. This had obviously been opened at one time, therefore is not new!

You see this all the time on building kits. The picture shows the wrapping is missing and an open box, but the seller states its new.

He also doesn't have great feedback, so this is another red flag!
I think you have to dig around to find out what the deals really are. His feedback is actually pretty good. I have seen worse feedback when the seller only had 1 negative feedback out of a dozen or more positives. I guess if this was an item that I wanted to buy I would private message the seller and point out the inconsistencies of the item and make an offer. Alot of times you can get a better deal on the side.

eBay, ya gotta love it. Just remember those times you are looking for a specific road name or such. In my case, I found a HO RS3 for 'Pacific Great Eastern' where the seller claimed a DC unit not running/dead. $20 including shipping to me. Popped her open and had DCC unplugged. Plugged it in and wiggled it back and forth a couple of times on a test track with no problems. Paint was not factory, looks like somebody knew what they were doing when painted.

Later

I steer clear of sellers on eBay that sell hundreds of different unrelated items. If they are train guys, you'll know it from their other listings. Same with camera gear, shooting supplies or any other hobby or interest.

Someone who will sell anything probably knows very little to nothing about what they're selling. Most don't test anything, so it's a crap shoot if what you receive will actually do what it's supposed to do, or even be what they advertise.

I don't see too much of a problem, The seller says it's Tyco and it's not you can return it, or if it's none refundable, contact eBay make a complaint, keep the model and get a full refund, but if it's a decent model, contact the seller, tell him he's mis-sold you the item and ask whether he wants you to return it or give you a partial refund, usually, you'll get a partial refund, (which you do not have to accept) then you have a nice model at 25% less of the purchase price.

I don't see too much of a problem, The seller says it's Tyco and it's not you can return it, or if it's none refundable, contact eBay make a complaint, keep the model and get a full refund, but if it's a decent model, contact the seller, tell him he's mis-sold you the item and ask whether he wants you to return it or give you a partial refund, usually, you'll get a partial refund, (which you do not have to accept) then you have a nice model at 25% less of the purchase price.
This has happened on more than one occasion to me. It usually works on the buyers behalf.

I steer clear of sellers on eBay that sell hundreds of different unrelated items. If they are train guys, you'll know it from their other listings. Same with camera gear, shooting supplies or any other hobby or interest.

Someone who will sell anything probably knows very little to nothing about what they're selling. Most don't test anything, so it's a crap shoot if what you receive will actually do what it's supposed to do, or even be what they advertise.
A lot of times when I see a seller that has a few train items and a lot of "other" stuff for sale I find that they typically are just passing it along with little or no knowledge of the item and sometimes you can get a good deal.

That after you logged into eBay? Pretty sure you did not get it on the blind. If that is the case, you have other stuff to worry about.

Later
I used to think I got those offers on stuff in my watch list. After cleaning out my watch list, I still get offers, looks like stuff I just clicked on while browsing.

I used to think I got those offers on stuff in my watch list. After cleaning out my watch list, I still get offers, looks like stuff I just clicked on while browsing.
Thank-you FireFox, Chrome and Edge ( Pby others ) . Your browser is now sending information to sellers from the cookies they set. Wonderful security protection isn't it?

Back