Disguising crack or joint in lift out sections

TomR

By necessity, I have to have lift out sections in the middle of my layout. I have a 4x8 area that is open and flat and clear of track, and that area has two end-to-end 20 inch wide and four foot long lift-outs of plywood. I have to have them if I ever want to do any maintenance on some inner rails, so I will rarely lift them out but it will happen some time.

I initially painted this 4x8 area and started to lay grass and landscaping. I had roads along the straight cracks, and the edge of the black roads hid the small cracks really nice.

But looking at it, I thought it was no good because it was flat and all the roads were straight and aligned with the tracks and board edges. I need some depth.

I've started gluing 1/2 inch foam on the plywood and I cut the cracks at the lift out areas sort of squiggly in an effort to make them less noticeable. It's a little like a jigsaw piece now, except I only squiggled about a 1/2 inch back and forth randomly along the cracks. I'm going to lay the roads in with some angles and stuff after I get some gradual rises that might go as high as 2-1/2 inches.

Has anyone hidden cracks like I will have, but still had the area unattached so it can lift out? I was thinking of either grinding down into them a little and making them ditches with the crack at the edge or bottom, or laying trees, houses, and brush along them to hide them or at least pull people's eyes away from them. Does that sound like a good way to hide them, or is there a better way??? I thought making them jagged instead of like lines would help, and it seems to, but I need to plan a disguise.

Tom

My layout is going to have removable scenes completely built on a flat piece of styrene, so that I can easily take the scene off for maintenance on the workbench. I don't use it to disguise cracks, and my layout is urban, so a flat piece with buildings on it simply looks like a city block.

I'm thinking you could use the same principle on the crack of your layout. Depending on what your modeling, a bit of civilization on a flat piece is completely plausible, and you could lift it off, before your take out your lift-out piece: a picnic area, small industry, camp, school, electrical substation, abandoned train station, etc.

Aurelio

---------

Great Model Railroads to View Online
Online Model Railroad Sites You’ll Love to Visit

Online HO Model Railroad Track Plans That Inspire
Online Model Trolley Resources You Must See
Model Trolley Layout Videos to Enjoy Online

Online Videos of Great N Scale Track Plans
N-Scale Track Plans to Inspire Your Own Layout Designs

I worried of this in my 'sectional' layout (http://trains.calldei.com) when I read a post that described a "solution" .. which is more a "philosophy". THat is, if you dont intend on actually removing sections very often then its totally OK to patch "cut" them out to remove them and patch over them when you put them back. I tried many patching materials and have settled on Woodland Scenics Foam Putty. I tried Caulking (various sorts), spackle, glue, and a few other things and they all suffered from either peeling or more often shrinkage. The Foam Putty is great. It has no shrinkage whatsoever and when you sand it down and paint or cover it its unmistakable from the surrounds.

So thats the route I'm taking. Make sectional areas but not worry about the seams much. Fill them with the Foam Putty and cover over as needed. if/when I need to remove an area then I'll cut it out, put it back and re-patch and repaint/cover/foilige etc.

This wont work if you have to do it *often* but if you are only planning for the occasional future then its not much effort to spend an hour or two to touch-up a a seam.

Back