Disappointed with DPM kit

If I want to do the roof in aggregate (gravel for folks not in Texas), I was told to use sandpaper. Which grit? 220? Thanks.

If I want to do the roof in aggregate (gravel for folks not in Texas), I was told to use sandpaper. Which grit? 220? Thanks.
I'd go with something a little more coarse - maybe 160 to maybe 120 or so for HO. Just make sure you adhere the sandpaper down REAL good to the substrate you're using.

Even better, just use styrene and spray it with Make-It Stone from Krylon. The white on black has a look and texture that almost exactly matches an HO tar and gravel roof. You can get it at any craft store and most home improvement stores. I did all the roofs in the attached pictures with it and it's way easier that gluing and painting sandpaper.

Great. I already have some of that fleck-stone stuff.

Though, making up new cuss words is fun as well.

Decisions, decisions.

Bob, in this case, a rattle can is the perfect answer. You just spray it on, let it dry, and, IMHO, you have a tar and gravel roof that looks more realistic than anything I've ever done in the past with sandpaper and cuss words. :) They key to using this is don't treat it like a regular rattle can and shake it up for a minute. Just a couple of shakes and spray. I did a few pieces of scrap styrene to get the technique down but it's not hard and the results look really good in person.

Back