Diosol replacement

NH Mike

CEO & Wheel Cleaner
Has anyone come up with a replacement for Floquil Diosol? I have quite a few bottles of Floquil paint but Diosol is no longer available. I once heard it was a mixture of toluene and zylene but never any proportions. What have you found that works?

A 2012 thread here says lacquer thinner.

I have not painted with Floquil since the 80’s and we always used the Diosol

I have an old quart can of Diosol that still has a small amount in it. I also have a newer quart can of Xylene that's still half full. They both smell virtually identical. In addition, the Xylene can states that it can be used in place of Toluene when a slower rate of evaporation is desired.

With that in mind, I'd say that Xylene should be a perfectly suitable substitute for Diosol. If I can find some Toluene, I wouldn't be opposed to mixing some in with Xylene to try and duplicate the Diosol. What ratio to mix, I'm not sure. I'd just have to go by the odor of the mixture compared to the Diosol odor, and hope I can figure it out before damaging what few remaining undamaged brain cells I still possess. :p

I have an old quart can of Diosol that still has a small amount in it. I also have a newer quart can of Xylene that's still half full. They both smell virtually identical. In addition, the Xylene can states that it can be used in place of Toluene when a slower rate of evaporation is desired.

With that in mind, I'd say that Xylene should be a perfectly suitable substitute for Diosol. If I can find some Toluene, I wouldn't be opposed to mixing some in with Xylene to try and duplicate the Diosol. What ratio to mix, I'm not sure. I'd just have to go by the odor of the mixture compared to the Diosol odor, and hope I can figure it out before damaging what few remaining undamaged brain cells I still possess. :p
Thanks. Maybe a 50 / 50 mix or more likely a bit less Toluene? Apparently both work fine depending how fast you want the paint to dry. I'm going to try 60 /40 for a start.

Thanks. Maybe a 50 / 50 mix or more likely a bit less Toluene? Apparently both work fine depending how fast you want the paint to dry. I'm going to try 60 /40 for a start.
50/50? 60/40? Can't hurt. At least you can mix a small amount together and see what you think. Let us know what you find out, I'd be interested in duplicating the Diosol mix. 👍

50/50? 60/40? Can't hurt. At least you can mix a small amount together and see what you think. Let us know what you find out, I'd be interested in duplicating the Diosol mix. 👍
Will do. I need to buy both solvents first. I'll probably go with 60 /40 first, see how well it thins and drying time. I will post results.

Back