Digitrax DS64 users, a question

tankist

i'm considering getting a pair of these and was looking for a bit of clarification n their manual from those who use it.

page 7
Multiple turnout machines can be operated on a single DS64 output.
For example, you can run 2 Tortoise or Switchmaster machines on a sin-
gle DS64 output.

this specifies 2 slow mothin machines. from those who use it, can a pair of solenoid ones be operated as well? specifically pair of guzzling Pecos.

You cannot ‘mix and match’ outputs. As an example, you cannot use
both the slow motion switch machine on the same DS64 as the crossing
signal

just to confirm, as i understand it right, this implies that a single DS64 can be used as either solely a turnout decoder or solely as output decoder. meaning if two chanels are used for solenoid machines, the 2 otherwise Unused remaining chanels can not be used for out put . asking as this sounds as very strange limitation.

and for some reason all the chapters focusing on signal output only talk about crossing gate. is constant output like signal head available? i guess i will need to reread this section

i'm considering getting a pair of these and was looking for a bit of clarification n their manual from those who use it.

I'm still using DS54's, but given the lack of responses the following 02c may still be useful....

page 7
Multiple turnout machines can be operated on a single DS64 output.
For example, you can run 2 Tortoise or Switchmaster machines on a sin-
gle DS64 output.

this specifies 2 slow mothin machines. from those who use it, can a pair of solenoid ones be operated as well? specifically pair of guzzling Pecos.

There's a couple of warnings about *not* driving two solenoids in the 54 manual, even with auxiliary power (tortoi are fine). However, I note that the 64 claims to have a CD unit built in, so maybe?

You cannot ‘mix and match’ outputs. As an example, you cannot use
both the slow motion switch machine on the same DS64 as the crossing
signal

just to confirm, as i understand it right, this implies that a single DS64 can be used as either solely a turnout decoder or solely as output decoder. meaning if two chanels are used for solenoid machines, the 2 otherwise Unused remaining chanels can not be used for out put . asking as this sounds as very strange limitation.

I *think* that means you can't mix, eg, a snap switch & slo-mo on the same channel and use that channels aux & switch inputs for other stuff. But, unless functionality has regressed from the 54, all channels can still be used for other purposes.

and for some reason all the chapters focusing on signal output only talk about crossing gate. is constant output like signal head available

It's the same in the 54 manual - Not one of their best examples! However, I'm almost sure if you can set the output(s) to flash, steady state is just a different CV value - On the 54 you can flash at 0.125, .25, .5, 1,2,4 & 8 seconds as well as steady.

Does the 64 have "aux" & "switch" input lines on each channel? If yes, they can be used for driving signals and/or panel lights.

HTH a little,
Cheers,
Ian

thanks Ian.

as far as two switch machines the answer is actually positive. lots of info to swallow so i guess i wasn't careful reading as page 6 reads :
"Multiple turnout machines can be operated on a single DS64 output. For example, you can run 2 Peco or Atlas Snap Switches on a single DS64 output. Up to 4 Kato Unitrack switches (such as the Unitrack double crossover) can be operated a on a single DS64 output."
so this i'm happy about :)

thanks on input clarification.

and for the rest i think the bottom line is "I guess i'll find out once they get here".

Back