Did I buy enough track?

Guilford Guy9887

Northeast Railfan
Today I'm starting my layout which will be 3 4x8 tables. I bought 25 pieces of code 100 3' flex and want to run a double mainline. Did I get enough?

That's a strange question. Not sure, but if you run out of track, couldn't you just go buy more?

I was doing that all the time, in fact, when I was building my layout, I didn't buy all the track needed all at once. I just made trips to the LHS when I needed more track.

3 4x8 tables, run end to end for ease of calculation, equals 4x24. Perimeter on this would be would be 50', and that's what you would need for a single line run at the very edge of the table (impossible to do since right angle corners are impossible in railroading). Double main lines would require 100'. Given reduced requirements for bringing the lines in from the perimeter, you may be close with 75' of flex track, but I think you'll be short. I'd get at least another 5 to 6 pieces if you don't want to have to run to your LHS to get additional pieces as the need demands.

Without a track plan, that seems pretty much impossible to answer :)

A huge factor in that question is the presence of turnouts, and what type they are, since with Atlas, for example, they range from about 9" to 13.5" long each. That will add significant length.

Back