Did anyone else order Amtrak Heritage unit #822?

ST214

Mine just arrived at my door. There is NO damage to the box, but the back step is broken, and also on crooked. There is also white paint from the frame stripe in several places it does not belong. One of the problem areas is the nose where the frame stripe comes around from the side to the front. I just checked the P42DC I picked up last week(#1), and it has the same problem with the red frame stripe in the same place, but does not have red paint in several places on the side.

Most of the paint is not visible unless you are looking at it very closely, but the back step sticks out like a sore thumb.:mad:

Update.....

After contemplating whether to send it back or not(I have been waiting for this unit since July, when I found out they were going to make it), I called staples and spoke to them. The end result is they are shipping me another unit with a shipping label to send this one back. I have to wait until next week to put a heritage unit in service, but I can live with that.

I knew Athearn's quality control was poor, but this is getting ridiculous.

This is what happens when companies go for the lowest production costs they can to maximize profits. Quality goes down so people stop buying their product. Then the profits go down so the company looks for ways to cut costs even further. Quality slides even more, and the death spiral sets in.
Bachmann has done a pretty fair job of pulling out of that spiral, but it has taken them years of dedicated effort to do so.
We'll have to see if Athearn will follow their example.

Well, in addition, Athearn is the only one that has made a HO P42DC outside of brass.

Athearn's QC has been going down for years, and is just continuing to get worse. I am hoping for a change in that, but I do not see it coming.

This is what happens when companies go for the lowest production costs they can to maximize profits. Quality goes down so people stop buying their product. Then the profits go down so the company looks for ways to cut costs even further. Quality slides even more, and the death spiral sets in.
Bachmann has done a pretty fair job of pulling out of that spiral, but it has taken them years of dedicated effort to do so.
We'll have to see if Athearn will follow their example.

LOL their QC was better when their stuff was made in good old USA. Let's hear it for the Chinese. Phil

Isn't Athearn under new ownership by another company? Even if not, this sort of stuff seems to be a pretty good case for brick and mortar which I will continue to go out of my way to find.

I was just in San Diego and had occasion to go to both Reeds Train store in La Mesa and the Whistle stop in Hillcrest. While I didn't find quite what I was looking for in Hillcrest, the Owner did have a major number of Mainline modeler in mint condition that he sold to me for half off. I think I got about 30 issues. It's the equivalent of Fine woodworking magazine for trains. I would never find that easily on line. I wasn't looking for it but there it was. Reeds was nice as well. I found some weathering stuff there I would never find on the internet. Without exception, those owners were pretty bitter about the ethics of the big suppliers now.

Your local store, or not so local is worth supporting and you have someone there whose interest is in your getting quality. While it can certainly cost more, it has a hands on aspect that is part of the journey for me. I'm going to go see Shepaug Railway in Leominster Mass next, just based on who they advertise with. It's a 150 mile drive but When they bother to be in Mainline modeler or Railroad Model Craftsmen, it speaks volumes for the store and its owners.

The only thing Athearn is good at raising is prices not workmanship / quality or production numbers! When a I buy any Athearn product I already know that I am buying a RTR Kit and it will get taken apart as soon as a I get it!

I agree and I would have ordered from a shop, but these are only available directly from Amtrak.

Shepaug is a great place. I have spent a LOT of money there!

Isn't Athearn under new ownership by another company? Even if not, this sort of stuff seems to be a pretty good case for brick and mortar which I will continue to go out of my way to find.

I was just in San Diego and had occasion to go to both Reeds Train store in La Mesa and the Whistle stop in Hillcrest. While I didn't find quite what I was looking for in Hillcrest, the Owner did have a major number of Mainline modeler in mint condition that he sold to me for half off. I think I got about 30 issues. It's the equivalent of Fine woodworking magazine for trains. I would never find that easily on line. I wasn't looking for it but there it was. Reeds was nice as well. I found some weathering stuff there I would never find on the internet. Without exception, those owners were pretty bitter about the ethics of the big suppliers now.

Your local store, or not so local is worth supporting and you have someone there whose interest is in your getting quality. While it can certainly cost more, it has a hands on aspect that is part of the journey for me. I'm going to go see Shepaug Railway in Leominster Mass next, just based on who they advertise with. It's a 150 mile drive but When they bother to be in Mainline modeler or Railroad Model Craftsmen, it speaks volumes for the store and its owners.

Update #2.

Got the replacement loco today. Not only is the ladder on straight this time, there is no white paint all over the sides! There is a slight scrape above the rear side door(looks like someone tried to carry something too tall thru the door), but this one looks far better than the first one. In a few hours, she will be on the point of a string of Superliners!

I applaud Staples for their customer service. I told them what was wrong(some that are not modelers would laugh at it), they offered to ship me another loco with a shipping label inside to send back the damaged one! Now it's off to UPS to ship back the damaged unit!

Back