Details West

Conrail97

Has anyone ever used Detail West's Dash-9 detail kit? I want to super detail and repaint a Kato dash 9 into #9250 in the OLS Paint Scheme, but I dont know how the detail kit looks and how difficult it is to install.

I've used Detail West detail kits before, for some Athearn SD45s. And I found out there is no instructions for what each piece is, and where it goes. There was a lot of parts too, like 15 pieces. I had to guess what the part was, and research the prototype photos. I still had a few pieces left over that I never used.

All I can say is good luck!

Did you ever try emailing them and asking where the parts go Michael? I have found that most hobby retailers are very kind and fast to respond. I would be very curious to know which parts you had left over, and if you could get a response from DW about where they go.

I have a few of their parts, but never bought a kit, the individual parts come with explications, but I guess the kits don't. How did it look after you installed them Michael? And how difficult was drilling for holes and what not. I've never installed parts before to whet I have to drill to install them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is identifying the part. Some of the parts in my kit, I have no clue what they are. So describing to Details West what part I'm talking about is difficult. What they need is photos of each part and their name/description. That would be so much help.

I didn't drill any holes in the locomotive shell. All I did was first paint them, then used CA (Super glue) to attach them.

They do look good. Here is a photo of one of my SD45s with the super detail kit.

P1000214.jpg

Back