Details west switch stand use.......

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
I have just purchased a bunch of the Details West SS-914 low switch stands for use on the SLO&W. The layout is set in the Northeast (Finger Lakes region of NYS) in the year 1925. The stands contain both diamond and round targets.

The questions are: Should I use the diamond or the round targets given the location and era, and should they be painted red or yellow for use in the yard?

Thanks!

Good question, Ray. I would think the diamond targets would have been more common then. Most switch stand targets were either painted yellow and green or red and green. It seems to me that red and green were common on mainline tracks and yellow and green in yards. Don't take any of this as the truth, just what I've observed.

I think you're right Jim, yellow is mostly in the yards but back then who knows. All the mainline stands I can recall were or are red & green.
Ray... as for the shape,I'm no help there. We'll expect to see some pix!

Say Ray,
How about contacting Details West, they may just have the answers? If not I would think a search of the web should produce some results.

Say Ray,
How about contacting Details West, they may just have the answers? If not I would think a search of the web should produce some results.

Good idea to contact Details West. I already spent several hours on the web trying to find information. maybe I have been searching wrong, but it has drawn a blank. I am hoping that more people here and across the street may have knowledge of proto practices.........

Back