Detailing Diesels

Larry,

That depends upon whether the detail parts are plastic, cast metal or brass.

I have spent as much as $18 - 25 per part. The engine below cost me about $45 dollars to detail to its actual mate. That included the electrical box on the back of the engine, Steam generator fittings on the roof in front and new set of horns. Fortunately, I already had the decals and paint.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
You can do it for around $10 if all you do is generic stuff like MU hoses, visors, snow plow, etc. Often the parts you buy are sufficient to do several, so many times it costs no more to do 2-3 engines.

Larry,

Bob and Ken both have it about right. You can spend as much or as little as you want on detail parts. Some of my higher end ones I've spent close to $100 for parts. But that's pretty much for working ditch lights, complete under side details etc.

Larry, that's kind of like asking "How much does it cost to take a vacation to Europe". :) As the other guys have said, what you already have on hand, how far you want to go in detailing, and the quality of the detail parts all go into the equation. The cheapest one I ever did was an UP GP-9 that cost me about $3 for a roll of brass wire and some sheet styrene. I think the most exensive was a pair of SP BB SD-9's. By the time I got through buying four sets of light clusters, 20 grain of rice bulbs, which were really expensive at the time, brass handrail sets, and about 20 #80 drill bits to replace all the ones I broke while drilling holes for grabs, I'll bet I spent a good $250. This was back in 1970 and the engines cost me $12.99 each! I'd be willing to bet that it would be hard to spend more on detail parts than what you pay for your average locomotive model today.

Honestly, it depends, I'm ranging in the $100+ range for my Dash 9's.

Adding a plow & MU? Around $10.

Over one hundred.

sd40-2a.jpg

For the M420R, the shell and details from Kaslo are over 100.00, and then you have to buy an ATLAS U23B drive, and more details and wire. I figure I have around $200.00 in this one.

M420-july28.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the great tips. Guess I'll stick to the cheap parts. I have about 50 Diesels & I figure if I spent a hundred bucks on each one, I would have to take out a second mortage on the house. Being retired slows down the money bucket just a little. I really appreciate the input. Figure I'm going to have to sell some of my engines someday so I can add some detail parts to the one's I have left.

Larry

Larry I'm with you. I'm also on a fixed income so it's hard to do alot of detailing .Some times it easier to find a detailed engine on sale !!!!

Randy, I can see why some of your engines get to the price they do with the level of detail you add.

Larry, I accumulated a lot of engines when I first got in model railroading as an adult but with a fairly limited income. Once I detailed a few of my engines, the other ones started to look pretty clunky. I ended up selling about 45 of them to get the money for a good compressor and air brush and to finance detail parts and decals. I went from about 65 engines to 20 but the ones I had left I had a lot of fun painting, detailing, and decaling. I learned a lot and had a much more satisfying roster, even if smaller. I think you'll find yourself headed in the same direction.

Jim,
Just in the past 2 years I've been trying to get the newer Diesels & start getting rid of the older stuff. I'm having a hard time parting w/the Kato's, Stewarts & Walthers engines although they are the earlier years of engines.
Those engines will pull better by themselves than 2 or 3 Athearns in tandem.
But, like you said, if you have a modern layout, why keep the 50's & 60's engines. I guess before the end of the year I'm going to get rid of about 30 engines if I can find someone to buy them. I was hoping to make 1 of the train shows in Ft.Myers or Bradenton & set up a cpl. tables.
Still have until the 1st of Oct. to make one of them.
Larry

It takes me a while to get them done, as I add detail as I get it. I just got an order in for my etched GP15-1 radiator intake grills.

Back