Designing problems

rrdrifter

First off, hi to all. My name is Rick and I have been reading and lurking for some time. I'm trying to get up to speed without too much undo stress on your patience. I have experienced a couple of problems trying to get started tho, not counting the expense:rolleyes:.

I downloaded RTS.10 to try to do some design work. Finally figured out how to flip, connect, disconnect track work. Designed my tables/bench. Was trying to use the "domino" technique. I have ~a 8 X 20 foot area, give or take a bit. Wanted to do some round dee rounds and a little switching with a few industries to deliver to and collect freight from. HO is my gauge.

I've run into problems getting serious with the RTS tho. My monitor distorts the graph square so they aren't square. They're stretched out horizontally and I 've tried different pixel setting on my monitor,i.e. 1280 X 768 or whatever. Five or six different settings and the all do the same. Any body got any recommendations. I know that ain't exactly train related but............It sure is hard to visualise trackwork so distorted.

Also, just after I "converted" some section track to flex track I got a real nasty error code.

"Access violation address 005F1B6C in module rts.exe Read of Address 00000008.

Unrecoverable. Had to cease operations and "redo from start"; in case any one remembers Commodore jargon.

Anyway, I've been gaining alot of info here and appreciate all of you knowledgable folks sharing your insights.

Thanks,
Rick

I had a brief go with RTS a while back and didn't care for it. So now I'm using Xtrkcad to design my layout. Others will chime in with their favorite software I'm sure.

Whichever you pick, there's a learning curve. So it's best to pick one that's got what you need from the start.

I hardly remember any Commodore jargon; that was a while back. But lots of fond memories, and it did set the course of my career (software development). Welcome aboard!

Thomas

Hi Rick - I had downloaded RTS some time back and didn't like it much either. Then I came across SCARM on this forum and tried it out. I found it very easy to use, and Mixy is very open to suggestions and improvements. I have some pictures of my proposed layout on my web page done with SCARM, and you can find more info on it here....

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20667&highlight=scarm

I got SCARM and it works like a charm. Very easy to use except for getting ladders aligned; seems to drift off and cause misalignment. I'll keep working with it and see if I can get better.

Thanks everyone for you input.

Back