decorder help

LATX

Hey guys im still in the middle of desiging my BA project and i have a question bout decoders. I want sound with the 710 V-12 and i want to get a second decoder and added to it as well to get the H.E.P like in a F40PH-2CAT. but i need alot of lighting as well for L.E.D ie: ditchlights, garalite or mars light, beacon,headlights,cab lights,number boards and rear lights?

Am I asking to much or is it possible?

thanks in advance

First of all, finding a sound decoder for a 12 cylinder 710 will be very difficult. Why? They have only been used in the GP59, F59PH, F59PHI, and the SD32ECO. No one currently makes a sound decoder for that size primer mover although I would imagine that the stock 16 cylinder sound decoder wouldn't sound too different.

If you get the Soundtraxx Tsunami, it has 4 functions. If you want more functions, you can get a function-only decoder. There are no decoders that have a HEP sound. If you want to get a decoder with custom sounds, Digitrax sound decoders and Loksound decoders can be customized with custom sounds.

I was thinking that as well. But I was going to try lashing two sound decoders together cause i wanted the feeling of you hearing the prime mover and the H.E.P generator, but how many light functions does the function only decoders?

Soundtraxx makes a EMD 710, go to the web sight and try this part number.............. 828042 TSU-AT1000 EMD 710, you would still need a function only decorder to run extra lighting features. The sound traxx chip has a feature called reverb that can be ajusted for second prime mover sound.

The problem you'll run into with that much lighting is that it will draw a LOT of current. If you look at a pair of micro LEDs per feature, you're looking at:

2 pair for the number boards
2 pair for the head light
2 pair for the ditch light
2 pair for the MARS/gyralight
2 pair for the cab light

That's 10 lit LEDs for forward motion. At 10 milliamps each (just a round figure), you're looking at 100 mA in lighting at one time. Tsunamis are limited to 100mA max for lighting at one time. Couple that with the sound amplifier and motor and you're beginning to push the limits of the decoder.

The QSI Titan will have 10 light outputs, but I haven't seen or heard one in terms of how well it would handle everything.

Back