Decoder Recommendation

NWCanuck

Tip&Ring
I am looking for deoders for three Atlas Silver SD35's and two Atlas RS11's. I am going to be using an NCE PowerCab for the throttle. I am thinking that I only need to equip one of each type of Loco with full sound and the others with just decoders.

There are so many different manufacturers and types of decoders that I am not sure what type or brand is best. As far as the RS11's they seem to require a specific decoder like this:

View attachment 15630

Here is the manual for the RS11:

http://www.atlasrr.com/pdf/PartsPDFs/HORS-11Locomotive.pdf

Here is the manual for the SD35:

http://www.atlasrr.com/pdf/PartsPDFs/HOSD35Silver.pdf

Looks like both locomotives are HO from the PDF files. The RS-11 can use the Atlas style replacement DCC controllers. NCE has the DA-SR, which is a direct replacement. Digitrax makes the Digitrax DH165A0, which is the same style but with six lighting functions compared to five for the NCE decoder.

The SD/SDP-35 can use the Digitrax DH163A0 decoder, which is a drop in replacement for the analog board.

For sound, I don't think anything beats the Tsunami DSD Diesel decoder. The 827102 would be correct for the SD/SDP-35 and the 827105 for the RS-11. You need to roder a speaker in addition to the decoder. Ther's a whole buch of differnt speakers at http://www.tonystrains.com/products/tteexclusive_spkr.htm. The SD/SDP-35 already has a speaker enclosurejust measure it and pick the one that fits. The RS-11 doesn't have a speaker enclosure so you need to figure out a space that will the speaker will fit and order one of that size. I've never done an install on an RS-11 but some locomotives require you to mill out a space in the existing weights for a speaker. Hopefully, some one who has done an install on the RS-11 will let you know. You can also call Tony's at 800-978-3472 and talk to one of their techs for recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help Jim. I was looking at the PDF for the Gold Series of the SD35 and it show the speakers mounting where the weight is located in the Silver Series. I assume I should be able to just remove the weights in that loco and replace them with the speakers. Atlas even lists a part number for these speakers in the PDF but I am sure they would be more money than the after market ones you pointed out.

I guess I just figured that I would only put sound in one of the three SD35's and just decoders in the other two because I will probably run all three togther or at least two at a time.

Both QSI and Soundtraxx have "Atlas-style" drop in replacement board decoders. The new Loksound Select (essentially the Loksound 4.0), is a plug-in solution.

Brad, you can remove the weights to add a speaker but you'll seriously degrade the pulling power of the engine. Most guys mill out a space in the wieghts for the speaker. If you are always going to run the sound engine in consist with at least one other SD-35, the reduction in pulling power may not be an issue, since my SDP-35 will easily handle 35 cars on level track. If you ever plan to use it alone, the lack of weight would probably have the wheels slipping with more than 10 cars.

Brad, you can remove the weights to add a speaker but you'll seriously degrade the pulling power of the engine. Most guys mill out a space in the wieghts for the speaker. If you are always going to run the sound engine in consist with at least one other SD-35, the reduction in pulling power may not be an issue, since my SDP-35 will easily handle 35 cars on level track. If you ever plan to use it alone, the lack of weight would probably have the wheels slipping with more than 10 cars.

You could use traction tires, though, right?

I was looking at the parts PDF for the SD35 and comparing the list between the Silver and the Gold Series. The weight in the front of the Loco of the Gold is that same right down to the part number in Silver version. The speaker mounts in the Silver have weights in them instead of speakers. What I don't understand, is where the extra weight is in the Gold version when the speakers occupy the mount. I don’t see extra weight anywhere in the rear of the loco to make up for the lighter speakers?

To me, either the speakers in the Gold weigh close to or as much as the weights in the Silver version or the Gold version of this loco is slightly lighter than the Silver series?

Where’s the beef?, I mean weight?

Brad, you've got it right, the factory sound equipped engine weighs less than a non-sound engine. Consequently, it also pulls less. That's why a lot of guys get the Silver series weights and just mill a spot out for the speaker, leaving the rest of weight intact.

Wolf, there are no traction tires I'm aware of that fit the Atlas engins. You can use a paint on product like Bullfrog Snot (who though up that name? :) ) but that can create an even bigger problem. The wheels should slip when the motor is at maximum current as protection from overlaoding and smoking the motor. Any type of traction enhancer will help the locomotive pull more but may also overload the motor. I'd sure test the current at full slip and then after adding the Bullfrog Snot to make sure the wheels still slip within a reasonable tolerance of what the motor can take.

Wolf, there are no traction tires I'm aware of that fit the Atlas engins. You can use a paint on product like Bullfrog Snot (who though up that name? :) ) but that can create an even bigger problem. The wheels should slip when the motor is at maximum current as protection from overlaoding and smoking the motor. Any type of traction enhancer will help the locomotive pull more but may also overload the motor. I'd sure test the current at full slip and then after adding the Bullfrog Snot to make sure the wheels still slip within a reasonable tolerance of what the motor can take.

I was thinking of Bullfrog Snot (IDK who thought up that name but it's quite disgusting), yes. I was not aware that you could smoke the motor with traction tires but it does make sense now that you mention it.

For sound, I would suggest you look at the QSI Revolution decoders. They are about 1/3 the size of the Tsunami and with just as much power, RTC, many of the same features, many custom CV adjustments for sound and operation. Don't get me wrong, I have several Tsunami's and they are excellent, but this new QSI is equal and very small and would be ideal for diesel installments. ;)

Thanks for all the info guys, just wondering if anyone has a picture of a milled out weighted speaker install or a link to this type of install?

There's a picture of an install of sound decoder in an Atlas RS-3 that required removing 0.3 inches of one of the weights. Bruce used a belt sander to do this but you can also use a Dremel or regular drill with a carbide coated barrel sander. I don't know what the weights are made of but you should assume they are lead unless you have positive information otherwise. Wear a respirator to prevent inhaling lead particles, which are really bad things to get in your lungs. Also note Bruce's idea for using the shell to help create a speaker baffle. It works and you don't have to drill a bunch of holes in the frame.

There's a picture of an install of sound decoder in an Atlas RS-3 that required removing 0.3 inches of one of the weights. Bruce used a belt sander to do this but you can also use a Dremel or regular drill with a carbide coated barrel sander.

Hey Jim, do you have a link to this picture?

Back